How to successfully defend a settlement post capturing

Users who are viewing this thread

So during a war, after taking over a castle or city it has no garrison, so you need to supply one. How do you get to a point where you can actually sacrifice men? My party only holds 109 as of now so I don't have many to place and successfully defend when an army of 400 + comes around. It would be cool if you could designate men from the armies you called for as well.

Other members of your clan will donate troops to your garrison as well, or other lords in the army if you were in one that took the castle/city. You an also form your own armies with them. Once you're clan level 3, it's not hard to form a 0 influence army (assuming you're in a kingdom) with just you and your companions.

Other members of your clan will donate troops to your garrison as well, or other lords in the army if you were in one that took the castle/city. You an also form your own armies with them. Once you're clan level 3, it's not hard to form a 0 influence army (assuming you're in a kingdom) with just you and your companions.

Ah ok, I didn't know others donate as well.

You should probably stay there for a bit while it's in disarray ideally, so it can regain prosperity allowing you to place troops there without stressing your castle more than it can handle.

Then you put your fodder there and go recruit more and just fill up your castle every time until you have little to no spare food. Then when you have an area under your belt, assign a companion with a party to go around and up the security. When you've expanded, you can summon all those companions into a large army when you go to war without needing to use any influence or have any vassals.

You should probably stay there for a bit while it's in disarray ideally, so it can regain prosperity allowing you to place troops there without stressing your castle more than it can handle.

Then you put your fodder there and go recruit more and just fill up your castle every time until you have little to no spare food. Then when you have an area under your belt, assign a companion with a party to go around and up the security. When you've expanded, you can summon all those companions into a large army when you go to war without needing to use any influence or have any vassals.

Ok cool, that's really good advice thanks!

I started by dumping all of my prisoners into the dungeon, then I dumped all of my highest tier troops into the garrison to make some room. Then I hand-picked the highest tier prisoners back out of the dungeon to carry with me in my party, and I quickly traveled to nearby places to fill my ranks with recruits. I went back and forth dumping recruits into the garrison and hiring more until it seemed like it was full-enough. If you want high-tier troops in the garrison without having to train them, then just carry around high-ranking prisoners through regular gameplay and eventually the prisoners will want to join you. Recruit them, and then dump them into the garrison to beef up your garrison with high-ranking troops that you didn't have to train. You can also fight enemies that have prisoners themselves (hold ALT while mousing over them to see details). Sometimes they have high-ranking prisoners that will join your army if you can free them. That's another way to quickly rebuild your army.

Last edited:
What I tend to do is dump all top tier archers/crossbowmen as well as single digit units I've got that'd mess with my cohesion. With a couple of castles you'll be able to have the border ones stocked up, and use the other ones more as a reservoir for recruits - in a pinch you can grab a bunch of them instead of doing rounds.

150+ elite archers will hold a castle against the peasant crusades. For now I try to avoid elite infantry as defending AI has a thing for walking off the walls, and Vlandian Crossbowmen can hold against them quite well in melee + they shoot them first.

That said, I don't get too attached to border castles. Sometimes it's worth dumping all your possessions (including The Herd) into a stash and joining a last stand situation, because with 100-150 good archers you can erase 400 men from an attacker, and 40-80 of those can be elite units if you get a good spot and are picky about only headshotting top tier.
Make sure you remove prisoners first, or else they'll join enemy troops.

I hope there will be a system of loyalty. If I capture mercenaries who were enlisted because they recently surrendered to my opponent, it should take very little persuasion for them to join my ranks.
If I capture troops recruited long ago from a prosperous town of the same culture as my adversary and has won battles with him, they should even make escape attempts.

in the beta at least, hired crossbows have 180 crossbow skill, even better than veteran militia.(150) vland sharpshooter 130, imperial sarge xbow 80.

when selling prisoners, hired crossbow is for 150 gold

merc company troops skills are usually half a tier higher than standard troops.

Depends, if the siege scene is glitched and they have numbers, you cannot. If the siege scene is not glitched, you can. If you have too little troops, you cannot, if you have half the enemies troops, you can... The thing I miss the most (given the whole "siege-equipment" thing) is having boiling sand to thrown on ladders and at the gates over that ****ing battering ram... Currently we cannot defend appropriately, in fact, it's a 1000 times easier to attack in a siege than it is to defend (not only counter-intuitive, but also broken, what's the point in having a castle that cannot be defended?)

Are T5-6 prisoners recruitable yet ? I dont use mods, cause carrying prisoners T5 and 6 is a waste of time and food without the fix.
100% recruitable, albeit the chance seems to be much smaller. Sometimes I was able to induct 3-4 elites within a span of several battle-rich days, other times I hauled their asses across continent to no avail. I also have come to expect that if they haven't turned after 2-3 battles, they won't flip. Might be some variables at play, may just be confirmation bias and statistical anomaly.

So during a war, after taking over a castle or city it has no garrison, so you need to supply one. How do you get to a point where you can actually sacrifice men? My party only holds 109 as of now so I don't have many to place and successfully defend when an army of 400 + comes around. It would be cool if you could designate men from the armies you called for as well.

I sally out becouse my 122man strong army has 100 Horse archers+22cav and they shine on open field battles

Back
Top Bottom