Should javelins get nerfed?

Should javelins get nerfed?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I recently run towards an enemy with my horse, he threw a javelin and killed it, despite it having allmost full health, so it must have delt around 200 demage, which is absolutely insane in my opinion, especially considering how little demage the horse takes, when you charge into a spear. Furthermore you can easily deal over 100 demage on foot soldiers too with them, no matter how well armored they are.

I think they're fine personally, I assume you're playing with realistic damage?

I tend to have more issues with crossbowmen or fians, it's like they're using aimbots sometimes.

No buff other stuff instead, make horses better make AI block better.
If you were moving towards the guy you took a speed damage increase based on your own movement + the javelin, it can be really powerful.
just like you can one shot guys from a fast horse with a weapon with only like 20 cut damage.... but it does 200-300 because of fast you're both moving.
It probably needs some adjustments as sometimes it seems like it gives too much bonus when you hit someone moving away from you, but the javelins themselves are probably okay.

Historically one of the advantages of javelins was that they could render the opponents shields useless. No one is gonna use a shield with 2 javelins hanging out of it. Personally I would be fine with this being represented by javelins dealing heavy damage to shields.

Historically one of the advantages of javelins was that they could render the opponents shields useless. No one is gonna use a shield with 2 javelins hanging out of it. Personally I would be fine with this being represented by javelins dealing heavy damage to shields.

Exactly, javelins should be destroying shields easily, rn they destroy everything BUT shields xD also the huge, huge problem is AI's aim vs moving targets, it's overwhelming. If you're moving near a freaking T2 bandit with javelin on a pacing horse, you know he will just take you down surely.

Last edited:
Exactly, javelins should be destroying shields easily, rn they destroy everything BUT shields xD also the huge, huge problem is AI's aim vs moving targets, it's underwhelming. If you're moving near a freaking T2 bandit with javelin on a pacing horse, you know he will just take you down surely.

+1 for the shield destruction, maybe include throwing axes in that as well

Also, spears should break too!

Exactly, javelins should be destroying shields easily, rn they destroy everything BUT shields xD also the huge, huge problem is AI's aim vs moving targets, it's underwhelming. If you're moving near a freaking T2 bandit with javelin on a pacing horse, you know he will just take you down surely.
Well, their track record is indeed good against shields, because every sane person would carry a big shield in battle ? I am sure they were devastating against ppl as well, in case of a clear hit. What is unrealistic however, and should be nerfed imho, is their effective range, which should be around 20 m instead of the current 60

Well, their track record is indeed good against shields, because every sane person would carry a big shield in battle ? I am sure they were devastating against ppl as well, in case of a clear hit. What is unrealistic however, and should be nerfed imho, is their effective range, which should be around 20 m instead of the current 60

Agreed. I think the Roman's threw their pila at 20ish meters?

You can fight quite well with several arrows in your shield, but stick a 1.5 meter wooden stick in it and suddenly your shield sucks.
Agreed that the range should be lower. I'd also argue that the flight speed could be lowered, making tracking harder.

I think there fine.
If you move all your javelin troops onto the skirmishers group they are excellent against cavalry charging your archers. When order them to loose them of course.

Last week I did some simple tests via custom battles against the AI, sending 100 archers vs 100 infantry, with various factions. I did not intrervene, just wanted to see the AI in action. These battles were very onesided, as one can imagine, the infantry usually ran away before reaching the line of archers.

The one noteable exception was the Khuzaits however. They caused heavy casaulties with javis to the archers from 40-60 m, and in one occasion (against Sturgian archers), they even won the battle. Not tested javis vs regular infantry, but I am sure the results will be devastating. I believe a full javi army will be op in campaign as well.

There are a lot of consideration of course, like the AI not using shield wall etc, but I find it somewhat immersion breaking for me to have such high damage output from ranged weapon - considering the game's medieval settings. What I would like to see is melee oriented battles, where the ranged troops are strong, but mostly supporting units only.

Last week I did some simple tests via custom battles against the AI, sending 100 archers vs 100 infantry, with various factions. I did not intrervene, just wanted to see the AI in action. These battles were very onesided, as one can imagine, the infantry usually ran away before reaching the line of archers.

The one noteable exception was the Khuzaits however. They caused heavy casaulties with javis to the archers from 40-60 m, and in one occasion (against Sturgian archers), they even won the battle. Not tested javis vs regular infantry, but I am sure the results will be devastating. I believe a full javi army will be op in campaign as well.

There are a lot of consideration of course, like the AI not using shield wall etc, but I find it somewhat immersion breaking for me to have such high damage output from ranged weapon - considering the game's medieval settings. What I would like to see is melee oriented battles, where the ranged troops are strong, but mostly supporting units only.

I'd be interested to see this tested with the new patch. It was supposed to fix the AI shieldwall

Back
Top Bottom