How to punish noobs who turtle up with shield and wait for friends to come help?

Users who are viewing this thread

So someone is meeting an enemy that they aren't confident about attacking. so they are blocking you… And you want them to be punished for that?

Sounds like you don't know how to strategize with your team to get the upper hand.

uh.. blocking with a weapon takes SKILL how is that being a coward? Cav, archers and shield holders are all cowards who are insecure about their 1v1 dueling skills = bad players :smile: triggered?

Or maybe they are just better players than you and can do more than sword n board? Really, if you are complaining about not being able to finish a 1 v 1 before their team arrives you are some rambo non-team player anyway and good riddance.The whole point about skirmish is teamwork, if team works together the match is over in 3-5 minutes and there is never any 1 v 1s.

Any good player I know doesn't keep wailing on an enemy when they have support moving up, they do a couple test swings and feint to see what the other player will do then get the hell out of there looking for their own team. Usually, within 20 seconds they get a teammate and go back and finish that guy because real noob will stay in the same location rather than supporting their own team and they usually barely moved by the time you get back.

as the other guy said, bash and kick don't work well here. Shield takes longer to break than bannerlord EA release...

I just feel like noobs shouldn't be able to do that, its lame. IRL if someone is just holding a shield up and being passive (I do HEMA), I will just grab the shield and stab him. Or attack the feet/legs, which you can't do in MnB. Maybe we can put shield fatigue? If you put your shield up for too long it goes on cooldown for a bit which you can use your sword to parry as usual.

Considering this is a game, and not reality, and there are so many differences between 'em, this is just an argument to keep shields as they are. Otherwise, people would be ****ing crazy dangerous with shields! They'd stab you, poke you, beat the ever living **** out of you with the shield alone and you'd be crying even more. You want shields to be completely useless? Play a different game.

The real answer is that there's really nothing you can do about it as an infantry. Kicks and shield bashes don't really do anything to people constantly holding down their block, and shields have a ridiculous amount of HP. It's one of the reasons why I can't stand playing infantry in this game. You don't have the ability to really do anything against a turtle on your own. The combat is very unsatisfying.

In Mordhau, people that just block lose stamina faster than the people attacking them, eventually leading to a defensive player that doesn't attack back getting disarmed and dismembered by his opponent. Kicks against people that had their shields up would also get stunned just long enough for them to get hit once, which wasn't the case against people without a shield. Kicks in Mordhau could be used more offensively than kicks in warband.

In For Honor, there's guard breaking and bashing to make extreme defensive play more difficult. The defensive player has the options to counter the guard break, and dodge out of the way of bashes, but pulling it off is a lot harder than just holding RMB.

In Warband, if you were just constantly holding down your block, you just opened yourself up to getting spammed down and having your shield break really fast. Kicks were also actually useful, but those were more for punishing face huggers rather than turtles.

In this game there's literally nothing to punish a turtle, other than them having their S key movement speed slowed, and making it easier for them to get surrounded by your teammates. Requiring the help of your teammates just to take down one very defensive player that is just holding down RMB with a shield and S keying is very unsatisfying and boring gameplay.

Considering how slow you become while holding a shield up all the time, and how EASY it is to still hit them, just use a overhead strike at their shoulder or whatever side the shield isn't held at, and you will win so easy. A player with a shield raised is basically lame in terms of speed. If you think that and having a directional block is too OP, I think you need to spend more time in this game, or maybe even no more time in this game.

So someone is meeting an enemy that they aren't confident about attacking. so they are blocking you… And you want them to be punished for that?

Sounds like you don't know how to strategize with your team to get the upper hand.

Exactly. Bunch of whiny kids. "Uuuh ooh nooo! SOMEONE BLOCKS ME! I can't just no-life rush and swing my mighty weapon in an open battlefield where everyone fights without arrows, shields or anything! JUST ME AND MY KILLING MACHINE!".

Right. **** outta here.

Or maybe they are just better players than you and can do more than sword n board? Really, if you are complaining about not being able to finish a 1 v 1 before their team arrives you are some rambo non-team player anyway and good riddance.The whole point about skirmish is teamwork, if team works together the match is over in 3-5 minutes and there is never any 1 v 1s.

Any good player I know doesn't keep wailing on an enemy when they have support moving up, they do a couple test swings and feint to see what the other player will do then get the hell out of there looking for their own team. Usually, within 20 seconds they get a teammate and go back and finish that guy because real noob will stay in the same location rather than supporting their own team and they usually barely moved by the time you get back.

Exactly. All these "Noobs shield!!" are the actual noobs. Always been like that. "A ROCK!! I CAN'T KILL IT! NOOB ROCK!" It's just you really being stupid.

That might be the most annoying time actually, during a 1v1. Maybe this is why we haven't seen duel servers yet lol. Against a turtler I can throw out 20x feints, combo attacks and perfect foot work but it's all nullified by holding down RMB. Unless you have an axe that shield won't be breaking anytime soon.

It's not that your feints are nullified because of the shield. The player is that good. Either the player is bad enough that your feints will work and you hit them, or that the shield makes them so slow that the feints will work and you hit them. IF the player is good enough, doesn't matter what you do right? Because they are good. Then it just comes down to skill, mind games and luck.

Stop feinting 20x and try to kill him. Use feints qualitatively rather than quantitatively.

I'd say you get better at turning said noobs allowing your own team to get the backstab. You do this by "Attacks enemy shield whilst trying to move around him. If noob turtles in corner get a friend and start spamming e.

It's not that your feints are nullified because of the shield. The player is that good. Either the player is bad enough that your feints will work and you hit them, or that the shield makes them so slow that the feints will work and you hit them. IF the player is good enough, doesn't matter what you do right? Because they are good. Then it just comes down to skill, mind games and luck.

Stop feinting 20x and try to kill him. Use feints qualitatively rather than quantitatively.

That over simplification would not be in tune with the realities of the situation IMO. Every possible attack, mind game, and lucky hit can be nullified by holding RMB religiously. Low skill players can easily shield defense against better ones if they choose to be lame and just hold RMB and face their attacker.

20x was obviously an exaggeration but whether 1 or 20 doesn't matter if the turtler just waits for a shield connection before counter attacking and are not offensive otherwise. That's not to say I've yet to lose such an encounter 1v1, but minutes of bashing on a shield while 10 other players are forced to spectate does not make for good game play IMO.

If duel servers existed this would be happening constantly.

get a shield destroying weapon like axe, bardiche, etc and whack it until it breaks
It's weird how many weapon's I need to bring to a simple fight. First I need to bring a spear to kill cavalryman's horse, then i need axe to destroy he's shield and then a mace to actually kill him.

Yea yea it's bit over the top, but it's not like i can choose what weapons I can bring. It's usually either spear or axe and if that's the choice then spear is a must have.

Last edited:
It's weird how many weapon's I need to bring to a simple fight. First I need to bring a spear to kill cavalryman's horse, then i need axe to destroy he's shield and then a mace to actually kill him.

Yea yea it's bit over the top, but it's not like i can choose what weapons I can bring. It's usually either spear or axe and if that's the choice then spear is a must have.
well you can't be a swiss army knife on the battlefield, you have to choose a role and then play that role for the sake of a small group of teammates you will follow around. Running around alone barely helps, unless youre cav or ranged
If you're facing a shielder you got two options atm: either fight him and do hold attacks/faints,try footwork to get around his shield or, if he is a turtle and only holds up his shield all the time, just run away and look for teammates. Not the bravest thing to do but in tdm the enemies spawn so extremely fast that chances are high that his teammates spawn beside him and end you

well you can't be a swiss army knife on the battlefield, you have to choose a role and then play that role for the sake of a small group of teammates you will follow around. Running around alone barely helps, unless youre cav or ranged
If you're facing a shielder you got two options atm: either fight him and do hold attacks/faints,try footwork to get around his shield or, if he is a turtle and only holds up his shield all the time, just run away and look for teammates. Not the bravest thing to do but in tdm the enemies spawn so extremely fast that chances are high that his teammates spawn beside him and end you
So moral of the story: Don't play infantry. Every other class has tools to kill.

mmmh, rather: stick to the team and function at your purpose
as a shielder, charge any ranged unit or build a wall for your teammates
as an axe/bardiche/etc, kill shielders and help killing
as a polearm, defend the rear of your group from backstabbing cav and maybe harass enemies who are already fighting
as a 2h: just kill and dance around

Btw, do overhead attacks when you're in tight fights, otherwise youll just rub your weapon on the teammates and do nothing

as a polearm, defend the rear of your group from backstabbing cav and maybe harass enemies who are already fighting

Btw, do overhead attacks when you're in tight fights, otherwise youll just rub your weapon on the teammates and do nothing
sounds good on paper till you realise you got 2 archers and 3 cav in ur team

More likely: bardiche guys are dead from archers, archers are dead from cav and then there's you thinking why did't you spawn as heavy archer.

sounds good on paper till you realise you got 2 archers and 3 cav in ur team
in that case Id go for 1h/spear/shield to protect the archers, they're practically cav-magnets. And you can protect them from other archers/melee guys aswell. And when a shield dude attacks, try to make him face his back to your archers so they get a clear shot

More likely: bardiche guys are dead from archers, archers are dead from cav and then there's you thinking why did't you spawn as heavy archer.
If everything is op, nothing is

Back
Top Bottom