No sword sisters? No refugee women, nothing. What the hell?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My original response was to SmattlePattle and his insults to other people. I (several times) stated that I'm okay with sword sisters and such. What I'm against is the meaningless NPCs be it male or female and Warband did it perfectly.
the only meaningful Warband NPC's I remember was Artimener, Isolda of Suno and that nordic female companion (Mathilda or something)? The rest was bland and generic.

the only meaningful Warband NPC's I remember was Artimener, Isolda of Suno and that nordic female companion (Mathilda or something)? The rest was bland and generic.
It was better than Bannerlord nevertheless. I cant even remember the names of any NPCs in bannerlord they are so generic right now.

And please dont forget Rolf of house Rolf.

Damn, this thread's toxic. I just want a bunch of Sword Sisters at my side when I'm playing a good character and a dungeon full of Peasant Women when I'm playing an evil one. ? :devilish:

this thread summaryse everything wrong with this forum... no wonder why talewords does not communicate with us.

warband was a highly moddable game, and soo will be bannerlord, what made warband a great game was it community and its mods,
we should be focused on helping talewords with finding bugs, find gameplay related issues, and not be arguing about trivial things that can be edited with mods.

Hardly. The analogue is the disintegration and fall of the Roman Empire, which was mostly over by 500AD.

I guess you're not that keen on history despite making these claims so boldly.

The Eastern Roman Empire survived into the 15th century. We call it the Byzantine Empire these days, but they called themselves Roman.

If the game shows a lot of things or effects. There are some associations and federations outside the game, it's will restrict some content in the game.
Such as feminism, humane society, environmental protection association and some religions forbid it etc. For example, far cry5 has no animal skinning animations.
wtf are you talking about. The only people that get mad about these sort of things is vocal minorities from twitter. Not a SINGLE person got mad at detailed skinning animations in Red Dead Redemption 2. I even read some blog that focuses on birds and bird protection and they found fauna in rdr2 fascinating despite the fact that you can kill birds and get rewards for it in that game. btw you can kill chickens and ducks in Bannerlord. Warband had sexism setting and no one cared

If the game shows a lot of things or effects. There are some associations and federations outside the game, it's will restrict some content in the game.
Such as feminism, humane society, environmental protection association and some religions forbid it etc. For example, far cry5 has no animal skinning animations.

I guarantee that the EPA has absolutely no say in how video games are made. Also the feminism association. Lul. Do you have an actual group of women in mind?

Half this thread: If you believe in Gender roles in history you are a Misogynist!

Other Half: If Gender roles DIDNT exist historically what are you always protesting about!

Left half: You Neckbeard Geek

Right half: Wut?

The Female wanderer backgrounds make sense. That sort of stuff did happen back then, and does today. That said, the reason it is specifically those Characters is because that's the background.

I've found plenty of Female Companions such as Aethefled the Wainwright -- Whose background is Wainwright, so she's a former engineer of some sort, that got screwed out of pay by the empire cause of the war with vlandia -- or something to that effect. It's literally the same background if "Blank" the wainwright is a man. They just want to be paid to build stuff.

Wanting some realism in Gender dispersion of warriors makes sense. Men and Women are biologically different. That's a fact. Full stop.

There's a reason that professional sports have "Proffessional" and "Womens". I say "Proffesional" and not "Mens" because there is no actual rule that says women Can't play in the NHL/NBA/NFL etc. They have just never been good enough to compete at that level. I think there's finally a woman pitcher whos on the training camp for the MLB for the blue jays-- but shes still only qualified to be on the training team. Not the majors.

Hell the women's professional Soccer team (football for you Europeans) got beat by a highschool class of boys aged 14-15. These are the "Best women" austrailia could produce, who got beat by some freshmen school boys.

Move this along to combat sports. There is a reason that they are divided both into Gender, and Weight classes. It's not even arguable that Rhonda Roussey would get demolished by a man of similar size and skill. Again, its biology. Ask literally any one whos ever trained in a combat sport.

She could absolutely beat the hell out of the average man, but she is one of the top performing athletes and the average man, is well, the average man. The same could be said for Connor McGregor, he could absolutely beat the hell out of most men. Put an average man the size of Tyson in front of him, and well it's more complicated now.

I really don't see how making a 80%/20% Disparity in Male/Female Warriors is "Sexist" in a time period that was arguably exceptionally sexist...

In fact it makes those Female Warriors like Sword sisters all the more interesting, because they are top tier, among a trade dominated by men.

Like saying they need to add Middle easterners, and Africans to the German army in WW2 because "Diversity".

Projecting modern social standards on a game based on a historical period really makes very little sense. I get it's a fantasy game, so women can be added. Cool, no problem, but why all the vitriol and exceptionally delusional hate against people who want something a teeny tiny bit more based in reality, and offer a compromise of like 80/20.

If they were 100% NO WAMENZ IN MY FANTASY GAME then sure, alright.

But most people don't seem to care if some women are in game, they just don't want stupid amounts of them like a 50/50 split.

They dont make any sense and there is no difference between a male and a female character.
Needing men and women be explicitly different seems to be a massive need for you, even in a game set in a fictional culture. This doesn't seem entirely healthy. I suspect the very existence of queer- and transgender people is a big personal problem for you.

Madame, i'm an historian employed at the Turin University :grin:
Sure thing, random person on the internet. Also, "madam" is it?

I love how you use historical arguments when it is convenient for you, but throw them away when it isn't.

Although this game may use the theme of the fall of the Roman Empire, it is clearly not the same time period. If we were to choose a time period from our world, it is definitely later than 500 AD. It appears to be an amalgamation of a few different time periods.
The only place I've "used historical arguments" is to deconstruct the fools who start crowing about how this is a historical game and hence there can't be any female warriors. Nice attempt at burning a strawman, but it seems too damp to light.

As for the period, there's just no analogue. We went back in time from the "high medieval" period as presented in the tech level of Warband, and yet we still get almost the same kind of stuff. Clearly the Caldarian analogue to the Roman Empire had much more advanced steel crafting than the historical one.

Sure thing, random person on the internet. Also, "madam" is it?
I can write to you from my institutional email. Or pm my academia.edu profile. Also you should reconsider you attitude. You are really aggressive for no reason.

The Eastern Roman Empire survived into the 15th century. We call it the Byzantine Empire these days, but they called themselves Roman.
It did indeed, but in Bannerlord we're in the situation where both, or in this case several, sides of the fragmented Empire still exist. It doesn't feel like a late Byzantine period in that, more like the last years of the fragmented empire where both halves still exist.

Where the heck are all the women? It's not really Mount & Blade unless I can rescue peasant women from their life of drudgery and turn them into swift death on a white courser.

I hope this isn't some intended change, but rather a temporary absence.
There are sword sisters, they are from a minor faction and are recruitable. I have some in my completed game. They are the best archer units in the game with a 300 bow skill. They're pretty good but you can only recruit them from one minor faction I believe. I'm not quite sure. I got them when I seiged a castle and they were among the prisoners that I rescued and joined my party. It's a shame that you can't train them from peasants or something, but they are in fact in the game. I can confirm that they have been in the game as of last week, sometime before the date of the original post. They're just really rare.

This game Is pretty clearly trying to represent something pretty close to the 800-1300 Europe actually ^^

I feel the game is more madlibs than trying to represent any one period.

Like, especially for 800s, there's no frankish empire. Like, the frankish empire is the dominant force in the 9th and 10th century europe. You can't represent that period without a frankish empire equivalent.

The Calradian Empire feels more crisis of third century than later collapse, the Vlandians are just straight normans. The Sturgians are vaguely kieven. The Khuzaits are too mongolian and I wish they were more turkish honestly (Not every steppe society was the mongols durnit). The Battanians are, like, a slury of celtic cutlures from 1000 years of history. And the Aserai feel 6th or 7th century to me. But mashing together doesn't make a coherent historic equivalent to me.

Men and Women are biologically different. That's a fact. Full stop.
Do you have any idea how sad and insecure this makes you sound? Why is this such a central tenet of your existence?

Burning strawmen as you do at the start of this screed of a post doesn't make your argument any stronger, or does "this is a fact" etc etc.

For one, you'll never find a credible scientist talking like that. It's social conservatives desperately clinging to hierarchies and power structures who do, and they should really take a moment to self reflect why.

Just go away now. If you don't want to be able to train women into soldiers in a game, nobody will force you to.

I feel the game is more madlibs than trying to represent any one period.

Like, especially for 800s, there's no frankish empire. Like, the frankish empire is the dominant force in the 9th and 10th century europe. You can't represent that period without a frankish empire equivalent.

The Calradian Empire feels more crisis of third century than later collapse, the Vlandians are just straight normans. The Sturgians are vaguely kieven. The Khuzaits are too mongolian and I wish they were more turkish honestly (Not every steppe society was the mongols durnit). The Battanians are, like, a slury of celtic cutlures from 1000 years of history. And the Aserai feel 6th or 7th century to me. But mashing together doesn't make a coherent historic equivalent to me.
That's a good point. I would say that the technological level and the social structure (early feudalism ecc) makes the game pretty close to the 800-1300, which Is a wide gap, while the setting Is mostly European. But i'm willing to take a step back and to say that the setting Is just a mix of things with a "middle age - early feudal" flavour. There are several references in the laws for example, to such things.

As for the rest, since there are clearly people in this thread who are crusading for some kind of idealistic point, do with the females in the game wathever you want. I don't care that much at the end of the day. But i'm pretty sure we will end with sword sister and some other similar unit, since modding i didn't found the way to spawn the same troop both male or female, so there are likely even game engine limitations.

I can write to you from my institutional email. Or pm my academia.edu profile. Also you should reconsider you attitude. You are really aggressive for no reason.
Have you read this thread? The amount of crazy from social conservative males would make a saint lose their temper.

I only called you out because you made a 100% claim that this game represents a certain period, where I'm pretty sure we can agree that there's no clean analogue to any era in our history. The technological level for one isn't consistent for any actual period in history.

To me the clearest analogue is the disintegration of Rome, since the earlier games have had fairly obvious allusions to the Roman Empire, and we're now hundreds of years in the past, experiencing its fall. An argument can be made of Byzanthine times, for sure, if we focus more on certain technologies and cultures.

As an academic, I'd still say that you were wrong to make such a confident claim about what period this is supposed to reflect. The only real way would be to ask the Yavuzes.

There are sword sisters, they are from a minor faction and are recruitable. I have some in my completed game. They are the best archer units in the game with a 300 bow skill. They're pretty good but you can only recruit them from one minor faction I believe. I'm not quite sure. I got them when I seiged a castle and they were among the prisoners that I rescued and joined my party. It's a shame that you can't train them from peasants or something, but they are in fact in the game. I can confirm that they have been in the game as of last week, sometime before the date of the original post. They're just really rare.
Oh, have they been reworked into their own society? I mean, I think having a literal Sword Sisters mercenary band or something would fit very well, but I still hope I can also train my own.

Have you read this thread? The amount of crazy from social conservative males would make a saint lose their temper.

I only called you out because you made a 100% claim that this game represents a certain period, where I'm pretty sure we can agree that there's no clean analogue to any era in our history. The technological level for one isn't consistent for any actual period in history.

To me the clearest analogue is the disintegration of Rome, since the earlier games have had fairly obvious allusions to the Roman Empire, and we're now hundreds of years in the past, experiencing its fall. An argument can be made of Byzanthine times, for sure, if we focus more on certain technologies and cultures.

As an academic, I'd still say that you were wrong to make such a confident claim about what period this is supposed to reflect. The only real way would be to ask the Yavuzes.
Ok, i can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom