Khuzait are op

Users who are viewing this thread

Set bows to cut damage and reduce horse hitpoints.

I don't think any of those are necessary. Making cavalry be able to fight other cavalry better or just buffing spear damage while stationary should be enough possibly.

The big issues with the T2 horse archers are a) bows in general and b) wonky AI that makes cavalry so hard to kill. But the T4+ horse archers are just way too tanky overall and their armor and barding need a serious nerf. When the best strategy is to go and distract the AI with a small cav unit so they can draw swords and have a wet noodle fight there's a problem.

I don't have problems with field battles vs. the AI. Horse archers are OP though.

My problem with Khuzait is that the prevalence of cavalry in their forces allows them to pick and choose nearly every battle they face and they're good at sieges too. Their economy is extremely strong and theitr start position is also extremely strong. They have an extremely safe to defend territory and are up against weak factions who can't deal with horse archers. Then again I posted this in the first post and apparently some didn't read it.
it was read, And i do agree on they have a good economy, and a rather safe location, each way to them has a town near it so its easy to bottle neck. They are moddled after the mongol hordes which used cav intensive armies so its themeaticly correct. And good at seiges? defense maybe m they suck attacking,ive taken a 100 strong khuzait army up against a 130 empire castle, while my archers did damage to their numbers, when they ran out of arrows, and my forces tried to take the wall, the lack of decent close quarters weapons and units ment my forces got beaten hard. but in a defence.. those spears, lances, and bows make it hard to take things from them at the same time unless you got crossbows and lost of sheild using units

I don't think they are fine just because they can be beaten in a battle. In fact I would argue that balancing them just for battles is the root of the trouble, because there doesn't seem to be a good tradeoff for the campaign benefits from their broken movespeed bonus on top of all the cav they can field (thus getting even more movespeed). I realize mileage may vary between games but in all of mine they become an unstoppable force in very short order. The fact that someone a couple posts up was talking about how this nomad faction make excellent siege defenders should maybe be a warning sign too.

Archers. It also helps to try to engage them in forests.

AI doesn't care about trees and forests just increase the relative disparity in party speed (-1.4 to a party moving at 6.5 speed is less meaningful than -1.4 to a party moving at 5.3). This isn't real advice and my problem, again, is not winning field battles vs the AI. Horse archers can be OP despite being able to roflstomp the AI. For example, horse archers can beat a force over 5x their size in the player's hands. What other units can do that, and do it so reliably all while being able to pick and choose their battles? It's completely OP.

Thanks for your input. I obviously just lack skills. Data showing them being the dominant force the plurality of times is not accurate or meaningful.
The Khuzaits could probably use a small rebalancing. Calling them "cancer" is a serious oversell of your point however.

Frankly I've never had a huge problem coming to grips with the Khuzaits, because unlike their Khergit descendents, they usually drag along a large contingent of infantry. It's when you're trying to deal with village raiders that the Khuzaits give you a major headache.

And you are right that they can set the terms of the engagement to a point, one of the causes of their success is their ability to zerg rush anyone who wanders into their territory, wipe out their army and take the offensive. but there's plenty of ways to make them play to your strengths. Taking one of their castles and deliberately leaving it underdefended will bring their armies like a moth to flame. Just as one example.

AI doesn't care about trees and forests just increase the relative disparity in party speed (-1.4 to a party moving at 6.5 speed is less meaningful than -1.4 to a party moving at 5.3). This isn't real advice and my problem, again, is not winning field battles vs the AI. Horse archers can be OP despite being able to roflstomp the AI. For example, horse archers can beat a force over 5x their size in the player's hands. What other units can do that, and do it so reliably all while being able to pick and choose their battles? It's completely OP.
For the confused, he's talking about the STRATEGIC impact of horse archers. The fact that the Khuzaits have so much cavalry gives them a big boost to movement speed on the map, which has consequences when it comes to choosing when to attack, choosing when to run, and being able to seriously gang up on a powerful force with a lot of small groups and wear it down over time.

For the record the Azerai have many of the same advantages but manage not to be OP. So it's not like what Durbal is requesting is unrealistic.

Please nerf this stupid faction. Horse archers are insanely OP in battle and there's no way to reliably catch them on the campaign map or outrun them. They are all kinds of dumb, and the fact that you kill them and they respawn with horse archers and just merge right up into another freight train army is just plain stupid. Every playthrough means I need to rush to the Northern Empire as a merc and help them to stop Khuzait from snowballing. I should've written this playthrough off when Khuzait stealth-sieged Myzea right before Northern Empire peaced out. I knew it was doomed.

Their start location and geography are 100% safe, their economy is possibly the strongest, their units are the strongest, their abilities are the strongest, etc. etc. etc. Tired of playing whack-a-mole against these guys. Just had Monchug declare war and be on my doorstep sieging with a 1300-man army in less than two days (oh, and horse archers are OP in sieges too). C'mon.

Originally I wanted to play as them then I realized it's just EZ-mode so now I have to do everything I can to eradicate them.

I won't even get into ancillary buffs like not having to worry as much about influence or food because they spend so much less time marching.

Typical scenario: Khuzait declares war. Rush back to towns and castles and see where the stealth freight train of 1000 horses arrives. Go there and hope you're there in time. They pack up and leave and outrun you unless the AI runs into a corner. Now they are sieging somewhere else on the other side of the map. Well, write that one off. Rinse and repeat.
HAHA 4-f1-f3 horse archers go brrrrr

I tend to go 4 F6 and focus on my infantry

Most of the time the fight is settled at the shieldline anyway. Horse archers can weaken enemy morale but if you don't have good strength at the line you're not going to carry a battle wirh horse archers alone very often.

Thanks for your input. I obviously just lack skills. Data showing them being the dominant force the plurality of times is not accurate or meaningful.
well, they're really not that OP in the field if you know how to deal with them. infantry should be in a square to catch horses, shieldwall isn't tight enough. having heavy cav helps, always send them to scare away the horse archers. two groups of heav cav, the better, because then you can just pinch the horse archers in a trap. archers, specifically fian champions, make short work of the rest of the khuzait units who are charging into your square and getting stuck.
open field is suicide, always go for hills, forests, and towns when fighting khuzaits.
the worst part about khuzaits is the fact they get a 30% flat bonus to auto battles which is why they always steamroll. until TW fixes autobattles or gives spearmen, pikemen, etc., a bonus against cav in autobattles, it should be removed.

I don't know about the faction balance, I've had different factions dominate different playthroughs.

But the high tier horse archers in the hand of the player is extremely powerful, don't tell them to charge or f6 them because they are much less accurate when riding around. Just put them in a line like normal archers, but the difference is you can just quickly move that archer line around as the enemy approaches. I find I can kill pretty much any number of enemy troops with the heavy horse archers using that method because the enemy infantry can never catch them, the enemy cavalry generally rushes ahead and gets mowed down before it can do anything, and the enemy archers finally can't win because they either waste half their ammo on your horses or you can just switch the horse archers to melee mode and charge them down. Enemy horse archers lose because they miss most of their shots while riding around but your horse archers will hit them because they are standing still and aims without penalty.

So yeah, in my experience the most powerful unit in the game right now is a line of horse archers that fires from a stationary position and only moves now and then to avoid melee.

I really do not see the issue with the Khuzaits on the battlefield, especially when the argument stems from the T2 horse archers. They are, as horse archers always are, a compromise.
The later versions are way better, especially when their horses are barded and their general armour increased. They can then also double als a lighter shock cavalry giving them more utility once their arrows are depleted. However these are T4-6 units, so nothing that you will regularly see (especially not Khan's Guard). Plus they have an extra cost via horses.
The biggest issue indeed stems from their additional movement speed on the campaign map, as this makes it easier for the AI to coordinate attacks, get away from stronger enemies and so forth.
However I mostly view this as a problem of the AI itself and the general campaign movement speed to low, especially for infantry heavy factions. It seems that all factions follow the same AI scripts and that might favour the Khuzait more. I have not seen a playthrough in any case where the Khuzait did not take Amprela 40 days into the campaign. I do not know if that validates any nerf to the Khuzait though.

Horse archers are by far one of the most expensive armor compositions you can go for. Most of the times they are only that effective because 99% of the armies consist out of recruits only.

When I got army consisting only from horse archers I just practically solo 2 factions. I play on the hardest dificulty allowed and still wreck armies twice my size with no casualties

Imho I think this issue is more pronounced because a lot of factions unit rosters are half-baked with the wrong skills buffed and bad equipment choices. Khuzaits seem to be the one that isn't done trash.

That said, in terms of the meta of the map campaign, in my games the Khuzait don't tend to snowball out of control. My worst offenders are always Battania and Southern Empire, so I think its really hard for any single play experience to solidly see who dominates the meta.

Back
Top Bottom