SP - Economy Money and caravans

Users who are viewing this thread

All,
I've played a few characters now, and getting that initial gold investment started has been a bit challenging.

1. The rumors of prices appear to be wildly inaccurate for the most part, I'll buy something at 30 because the game says that 2 citys over I can sell it for 50, I get there and it sells for 31... oh and on the way I ate 2 of them and lose money. Has anyone else noticed this?
2. Caravans are confusing. There are lots of posts on here that say "eventually" they become profitable and seem to hint at things like the ability to control their party size to help constrain costs. I've only had around 10 caravans, and only one of them was what I'd actually call "worth it" so some questions
a. Does where you put the caravan matter? I've experimented a little bit with putting it in "high" weath cities (for where I am in the game that's 5-6k) and low weath cities, and saw no difference. I put it in areas that were deep into one factions territory, and again, no significant difference.
b. Can you actually control things like the size of the party? One of my caravans was walking around with 150 guards for some dumbass reason, and was losing money consistently
c. I don't seem to be getting any trade experience from having caravans, nor do my companions running them. Anyone else observed this?
d. the one caravan that I had which was profitable made about 200-1800/day, and took about 3 weeks to get there. It had a companion with a trade skill of ~ 120, but again,it never increased nor did mine from running the caravan. I had another one which ran for 45 days before being positive even 1 denar (I sat in a city doing some smelting so I was watching it every day, I had a LOT of weapons stored up to melt and sell) and then after that only ever netted about 20 denars… ever... for 4 months game time. They were both on mostly the same "route" hitting the same cities in the same game, his trade skill was ~60. whats the difference? anyone know?
3. The "your trades are marked" thing, definitely doesn't seem to be working. I'd assume this means either that 1. you know what they are relative to average, which you don't need a perk for, or 2, it would record for you what your profit is for a specific item. That was actually specifically addressed in the patch notes for 1.10, so I remade and still no dice. thoughts?

Is there a comprehensive guide to this somewhere, I know that might be hard to come up with since the game is in so much flux right now.

thanks, links to other posts would be much appreciated!

I think it could be a fascinating aspect of the game to actually add a "school" to the game where you could learn stuff like this in the scope of the game and earn trade experience, or engineering expierence, or medical, or whatever. Because rightnow, that first time you do ANYTHIGN is painful as **** if you don't already have any skill in it.

Hello everyone,

i would but something to that post. The last change with 1.2. makes caravans absolutley worthless. I followed one of my caravans over the map, witch has now 30 man as guards and they got destroyed by a group of 14 looters. This could not be the way. At least a caravan will cost you about 15000 denars and now everyone will and can kill them? Ok i could life with it, if it was something like high risk high reward, but this isn´t the case at the moment. I hope you will look over that and will find a proper way that this system will work.

Hello everyone,

i would but something to that post. The last change with 1.2. makes caravans absolutley worthless. I followed one of my caravans over the map, witch has now 30 man as guards and they got destroyed by a group of 14 looters. This could not be the way. At least a caravan will cost you about 15000 denars and now everyone will and can kill them? Ok i could life with it, if it was something like high risk high reward, but this isn´t the case at the moment. I hope you will look over that and will find a proper way that this system will work.

Seriously? A 30 man caravan guard is still about 15 mid-tier cavalry and 15 mid-tier archers, right? How did those lose to 14 looters?

What is now the best possibilty to make money? I have a fief but also a lot of troops so I am not profitable. Which kind of business do you use to get money?

Seriously? A 30 man caravan guard is still about 15 mid-tier cavalry and 15 mid-tier archers, right? How did those lose to 14 looters?
I think common sense applied to things like that before 1.2, now caravans were nerfed for some reason, and they are being chipped away by brigands to lose at some point.
What is now the best possibilty to make money? I have a fief but also a lot of troops so I am not profitable. Which kind of business do you use to get money?
I became filthy rich with trade. By myself, without caravans. My caravan was useless. It had around 90 of troops and was not defeated once before 1.2, but income was not significant. And after that I have conquered all the map from being snowballed by Western Empire and somehow have good passive income. My treasury contain 7-digit number now, and it does not go down.
And with 1.2 my caravan was chipped away and deformed.

Is there a comprehensive guide to this somewhere, I know that might be hard to come up with since the game is in so much flux right now.

thanks, links to other posts would be much appreciated!
Here you can find out about price formation.
I do not know if there is something about trade, but for me it was fun to find out myself. I did have some loss at points, before I did learn some average prices. And after that you just have more and more pack animals, move from town to town and buy whatever priced below average, sell whatever priced above average.

c. I don't seem to be getting any trade experience from having caravans, nor do my companions running them. Anyone else observed this?

I can confirm this. My companion hasn't gained any trade experience, only riding experience.

I personally have no idea how caravans work nor do I have any idea how much money I am making/losing from it. I've had one caravan running for most of my game now and I haven't noticed a single benefit or consequence of having it.

Back
Top Bottom