Please nerf archers one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Archers are without question overpowered in bannerlord. I've been able to take out parties many times larger than mine with very little casualties(on realistic). My 80 archer usually inflict 150+ casualties on the enemy before they reach reach melee range.
I believe there are a couple reasons why archers are too OP.
Firstly, archers are way too accurate, it's like every AI has aimbot on.
Second, to many unshielded infantry in armies, the vast majority of AI troops are composed of low tier infantry who don't have shields.
Third thing is that archers are too effective in close range, reaching the archer line doesn't mean much as when you engage one of them, the rest of them easily shoot you with 100% accuracy.
(Don't get me started on horse archers)

I believe tweaking any one of these could balance archers much better. I believe the best way is to give low tier infantry shields, it is a very easy fix towards the archer problem, and also much more historically accurate as pretty much every infantry in that era no matter how poor used a shield.

SINGLE PLAYER GAME
There's no reason to nerf them, the AI can/will never make a 100 man archer army. They use at most like 30%.
If you feel like it's too easy just use less of them. If you're talking about AI vrs AI, they all charge 60% recruits at each other anyways, booh hoo.
Also if they nerf them wtf will you do against the AI without them? Oh they'll just have to nerf everything else too so you don't hurt yourself winning to hard.

Infantry and cavalry need to have their AI simplified to be effective I think, Make shields better and have them point shields at ranged units, not drop them down all the time. Cavalry needs to be more aggressive, however I think they're very good if you use them like a boomerang against archers, lead them to the side and charge them, then call them back. I'm looking forward to the perks for Cavalry attack - moral and archer demoralization (don't recall actual name) to be coded in, it'll probably suep up this tactic.

Also, and probably more importantly, AI needs training skills (player too) so they can actually rank up the giant recruit blobs they make, who can't catch any looters before they get summoned to an army.

Warband archers of all ranks were deadly and annoying, the difference was all shields were somewhat better/more overage and the AI used them constantly.
You could park shielded units in front of ranged and it'd be a good while before they started going down. On the other hand as the player you view any unit with no horse and no ranged as dead meat, low hanging fruit, exp bag excreta.

It's actually not that Archers are too good, it's that the collision and armor values are totally wonky right now. Do yourself a favor, adjust the collision values slightly higher, so that infantry spacing becomes more spread (aka, they don't clip into each other). Also, increase your combat AI to challenging, it will make infantry use shields more often.

Second, armor really sucks with the base levels.Pierce damage has a default of 25% conversion to blunt damage, and also has a 66% penetration value on the secondary formula. If you increase armor value effectiveness, and reduce the penetration of pierce & cutting, you get longer fights, so the infantry and cavalry have more time to shut archers down.

I get where you're coming from, especially the part where all archers appear to be Legolas incarnate, but in most if not all strategy simulations archers are the counter to melee infantry. Attacking an army full of archers with an army full of melee infantry should always end bad for you. Shields are a nice tool, but even they only do so much when you have so much fire power you can blot out the sun.

The counter to archers is cavalry and in my experience cavalry does a very good job at countering them in Bannerlord. Outflank them, charge them through the back of their archer line just as your melee infantry gets in their range and they're really not as much of a nuisance. The counter to cavalry, however, is virtually nonexistent, but that's another discussion.

I agree that archers could use a nerf to accuracy and more units could do with shields.

Most of my battles play out with the enemy routing before even reaching my shield wall, this is on the hardest difficulty. I get that this is a singleplayer game, but I shouldn't have to nerf how I play just to get a challenge on the highest difficulty.

I'd like to see some attempts at adjusting AI troops quality before we go nerfing certain units. Archers are really, really, really good vs unshielded, lightly armored infantry. Guess what makes up the vast bulk of AI armies right now? Yup, unshielded no armor recruits. And as a bonus they have crap morale so the archers can rout them easily.

Let's have some playtesting where AI has enough upgraded troops to make a shieldwall and serious amounts of cavalry before nerfing archers IMO.

I modded my game and gave all the tier1 recruits shields and spears. Feels like a step in the right direction. They no longer get mowed down by archers before even reaching my troops. And the spears help against cavalry.
I think TW should buff the recruits too, so that they aren't such peasants and more like actual army recruits. It's normal to see NPC armies with 50% of the troops as recruits, so buffing them would have a pretty big impact.

Best would be if lords have trainer capabilities. Now passive training of troops is pretty much non existend , theres only one trait that gives passive xp to some of tiers. Thats why lords allways moving with lots of fresh regulars, every battle those are dead and needed to get new ones, and no way to train them

I'll copy paste this from another thread I responded to.

Archery accuracy should be nerfed at lower levels and then scale up. Right now archery is too good at lower levels. It took a lot of training to train good archers, which is why crossbows became so popular. Archery damage should also be scaled back with lower level bows / arrows and scaled up for higher tier. It feels like all bows and arrows are sort of in the middle, and there is no real incentive to buy the best stuff.

As for too many unarmored targets, thats mostly becuse they AI is broken and have constant wars, making the AI armies comprised of anything from 30-50% of recruits.

Does archer accuracy even matter, when they are shooting at a blob of enemies?
Also, in my current game, Sturgia declared war on Aserai and I'm the only one actually fighting the Aserai, yet that's enough to cause their armies to be 50% recruits. This is why I'd prefer giving the recruits shields.and buffing them in other ways as well.

I do like the idea of lower tier archers having worse accuracy.
What do you mean by archers not being strong enough late game though? I've started over several times, so maybe I haven't reached late game, but archers always seem strong to me.

I find that the health pool on troops is too low. By doubling it, it makes the battles last longer, makes infantry not die to one or two arrows and makes it better in general. I really think weapons deal too much damage or the easier approach is to just double the health pool. Even adding 50 more hp to units makes the battles better.

I mean that there is no incentive to buy a stronger bow because the low tier ones are already so good.
Because you feel so strong as an archer early game, you end up not feeling strong late game.

Maybe it's not necessary to make bows stronger late game, but the sense of progression is lost unless you make early game bows/archers weaker.

I find that the health pool on troops is too low. By doubling it, it makes the battles last longer, makes infantry not die to one or two arrows and makes it better in general. I really think weapons deal too much damage or the easier approach is to just double the health pool. Even adding 50 more hp to units makes the battles better.

I completely disagree, I already feel like troops have too much HP.

Sometimes I can put 3 arrows into a soldier and they don't die. Sometimes even 2-3 for a peasant/recruit. This is NOT realistic.
2-3 arrows into an unarmored target should kill them.

Low tier archer/bow accurary needs to be nerfed so it doesn't happen so often though, unless they blob.

Back
Top Bottom