SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Recruiting Troops

Users who are viewing this thread

JA55

Regular
After getting or conquering the City player should be able to have access to all troops without relations requirement.

Not being able to buy troops on your own land is pure nonsense. When the city gets attacked you're the one who's defending it.

Nah. Those recruits are private property of local notables.
But I think they should join the defending team if the city get under siege again.
Another interesting mechanic could be changing the hard limit to soft limit. So troops that are currently unavailable would be just more and more expensive the further you go from current soft cap. x2, x4, x6, x8 price. Maybe also worsening relations if you force them to give you recruits they're not willing to give.

Nah. Those recruits are private property of local notables.
But I think they should join the defending team if the city get under siege again.
Another interesting mechanic could be changing the hard limit to soft limit. So troops that are currently unavailable would be just more and more expensive the further you go from current soft cap. x2, x4, x6, x8 price. Maybe also worsening relations if you force them to give you recruits they're not willing to give.
There was no such thing as private property in the middle ages. The ruler had absolute control over the whole country. Selling any kind of goods to the Lord was considered honorable action. Nothing out of the ordinary.

"But I think they should join the defending team if the city get under siege again."
In that case, the default value must exist. It might be interesting but I prefer the option I stated already.

The only valid reason to reject my proposal might be game-breaking itself. But I highly doubt that would be the issue.

Last edited:
There was no such thing as private property in the middle ages. The ruler had absolute control over the whole country. Selling any kind of goods to the Lord was considered honorable action. Nothing out of the ordinary.

"But I think they should join the defending team if the city get under siege again."
In that case, the default value must exist. It might be interesting but I prefer the option I stated already.

The only valid reason to reject my proposal might be game-breaking itself. But I highly doubt that would be the issue.
I think you are thinking of Serfs. But IIRC cities often had a different status, with burgers who had certain rights and the city's right to have markets and such. Thus recruiting from a city would be recruiting volunteers, and getting troops from from your own fief would be conscription. BUT, it would mean you could only recruit from your own fief or cities, unless you made an enemy of every lord who owned a village you recruited from, as well as making your men serfs who illegally ran away.
So I think the current volunteer system based on relation makes fine sense.

I think you are thinking of Serfs. But IIRC cities often had a different status, with burgers who had certain rights and the city's right to have markets and such. Thus recruiting from a city would be recruiting volunteers, and getting troops from from your own fief would be conscription. BUT, it would mean you could only recruit from your own fief or cities, unless you made an enemy of every lord who owned a village you recruited from, as well as making your men serfs who illegally ran away.
So I think the current volunteer system based on relation makes fine sense.

I've no idea what you just wrote. When you get a city you should have complete control of it. Simply it's yours.
Anyway, share your opinions folks.

Maybe I phrased it wrong. You could force him to give you troops. Just next time he'll tell you that there is nobody who want's to join you. Same in villages. You can conscript them, but if you keep doing it, peasants start hiding in the forest every time you get spotted anywhere near the village, or even they'll go on a journey to find less oppressive neighbourhood.

That's why I'm for a system where forcing peasants to join your army, over the current hard limit, is possible. It just decrease your relations with them, increase chance of peasant revolt, lowers prosperity, ect OR cost more. So it's meaningful choice, rather than free meat shield. That's gameplay reason - choices are fun, softcaps are more fun than hardcaps, relations with your citizens still matter.

As a bonus, if you have high enough relations, the first recruit could be cheaper or even free. Cus they love ye.

Back
Top Bottom