All thrust attacks should be couchable

Users who are viewing this thread

Alkix

Regular
Thrust attacks should be couchable on foot at any speed. Holding out a piercing weapon and walking into an enemy should deal damage. Player movement on foot should be chargeable and spurrable like on horseback. Change my mind.

Thrust attacks should be couchable on foot at any speed. Holding out a piercing weapon and walking into an enemy should deal damage. Player movement on foot should be chargeable and spurrable like on horseback. Change my mind.
Walking into someone with a weapon would be no different than walking into a wall. You have to thrust, simply walking isn't gonna work, If we had sprinting that'd be possible but no.

Thrusting is the act of raising your weapon and extending it forward. you can then advance that weapon into the opponent with your legs. That's where the power comes from. If you think walking a spear into an opponent won't harm them, I don't know what to tell you. Certainly the damage will be reduced by armor, but remember, non armored looters and peasants exist in the game. Walking a spear into them would be effective.

Walking into someone with a weapon would be no different than walking into a wall. You have to thrust, simply walking isn't gonna work, If we had sprinting that'd be possible but no.
So maybe not a crouchable run on foot, but maybe a thrusting run attack animation where the player can keep their shield up and maintain their max running speed. Players and AI would still need to release their attack as usual but they should be able to keep their shield up when doing a spear thrust

Thrusting is the act of raising your weapon and extending it forward. you can then advance that weapon into the opponent with your legs. That's where the power comes from. If you think walking a spear into an opponent won't harm them, I don't know what to tell you. Certainly the damage will be reduced by armor, but remember, non armored looters and peasants exist in the game. Walking a spear into them would be effective.
What I'm saying is you still have to push the enemy with your spear and most likely you will slow down or completely stop, I'm not talking about real life I'm talking about the game I dont think it would work without implementing proper physics to complement the action and you would still need mass infantry formations to make it work as the enemy will not wait for you to poke him and would most likely get past your spear easily. You are probably thinking something like a phalanx formation.

Spears should have a brace mode to make them not worthless against cavalry. I've never seen the AI spearmen being used to stop a horse charge.

I don't know why you think much needs to be implemented. We already have couched lances. We already have damage based on relative speed. Just let the thrust stay out while you hold M1 and if it colides calculate like the lance couch. Add a hustle like with the horses so you can run. Implement player stamina (okay that's some work, but I know warband mod had it)

Press x to couch, you are limited to walk speed at most (if not immobile), and damage done to someone running into it on foot does 1 max (assuming a hit can't just register 0 damage).

Relative speed then ups the damage base some formula that factors in the weapon's thrusting damage.

Sounds basically like a mounted lance in reverse to me. Very reasonable. +1 to that feature please.

Edit: duck then couch to be immobile whilst presenting a smaller target.

Spears should have a brace mode to make them not worthless against cavalry. I've never seen the AI spearmen being used to stop a horse charge.
in my experience they are pretty good against horses because the horse stops if you hit it with a spear, unlike when being hit by anything else. Its just that the ai is horrible at using it in big battles, works a bit better in tournaments.

To be fair, when couching a lance, you can't thrust it. And I'm 100% positive that your walk speed isn't gonna be faster than your hands' thrust speed. So it would be pretty useless to couch a lance on foot.

To be fair, when couching a lance, you can't thrust it. And I'm 100% positive that your walk speed isn't gonna be faster than your hands' thrust speed. So it would be pretty useless to couch a lance on foot.
Now add sprinting and lunging.

in my experience they are pretty good against horses because the horse stops if you hit it with a spear, unlike when being hit by anything else. Its just that the ai is horrible at using it in big battles, works a bit better in tournaments.
Now that I think about it, the AI is the main issue why spears are ****ty in big battles and why horse archers rein supreme. There needs to be a command similar to "face the enemy" but instead we could command the AI to target a specific enemy so that spearmen will always face horsemen and archers will target horse archers instead of the peasant rabble, who are coming to get killed by your infantry anyways.

I don't know why you think much needs to be implemented. We already have couched lances. We already have damage based on relative speed. Just let the thrust stay out while you hold M1 and if it colides calculate like the lance couch. Add a hustle like with the horses so you can run. Implement player stamina (okay that's some work, but I know warband mod had it)
Stamina and sprinting are not part of this game's combat system as you may know. And devs said they are not interested in adding them before. So you will have to rely on mods again.

Last edited:
I don't know why you would want to walk a spear into someone rather than thrusting it into them. That doesn't make a lot of sense. The whole idea of couching on horseback is you are bracing the spear and using the horse's energy to deliver the blow. But you can't generate that kind of energy on foot so you add more by thrusting the spear into the opponent as you charge him and that's reflected in the speed bonus.

What's probably unrealistic is regular charging thrusts from horseback. In reality if you tried thrusting at an oncoming enemy while riding full speed on a horse, the impact would probably yank the spear out of your hand, which is why they couched their lances in the first place.

I don't know why you would want to walk a spear into someone rather than thrusting it into them. That doesn't make a lot of sense. The whole idea of couching on horseback is you are bracing the spear and using the horse's energy to deliver the blow. But you can't generate that kind of energy on foot so you add more by thrusting the spear into the opponent as you charge him and that's reflected in the speed

What pro-couching on foot people are really talking is bracing the spear for impact on foot. Yes, walking it into someone isn't going to do much. What you are trying to accomplish is to get that huge mounted enemy to use all their momentum to skewer themselves into your long pointy stick.

That is why I would restrict it to slow movement at the most (if not lock them in place with only the ability to turn). If the engine allows it, I'd let braced hits do no damage to very slow speeds (such as standard movement on foot).

The point is not to walk/run your "couched" (ie braced) spear into your enemy. It is to use the momentum of the enemy against themselves.

Charging into a wall of pikes should be a very deadly thing for mounted soldiers.

So really we are talking about bracing, but mechanically it is pretty much couched lance in this game.

What pro-couching on foot people are really talking is bracing the spear for impact on foot. Yes, walking it into someone isn't going to do much. What you are trying to accomplish is to get that huge mounted enemy to use all their momentum to skewer themselves into your long pointy stick.

That is why I would restrict it to slow movement at the most (if not lock them in place with only the ability to turn). If the engine allows it, I'd let braced hits do no damage to very slow speeds (such as standard movement on foot).

The point is not to walk/run your "couched" (ie braced) spear into your enemy. It is to use the momentum of the enemy against themselves.

Charging into a wall of pikes should be a very deadly thing for mounted soldiers.

So really we are talking about bracing, but mechanically it is pretty much couched lance in this game.
Spear bracing makes more sense

Go get a broom handle. Hold it like a spear. Walk into someone.

Now, do the same but thrust with proper technique. Guarantee that the proper thrust will hurt more. You need that kinetic force to pierce through armor, you aren't going to just walk through it like you are wielding a lightsaber.

Back
Top Bottom