Finished My First Playthrough, Here's the Rundown After 140 Hours

Users who are viewing this thread

vemerce

Regular
Start Version: e1.0.5
End Version: Beta e1.1.0
Real Life Hours: 140 (includes certain intentional rollbacks)
In Game Days: 4976
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mods Used Only to Fix Broken/Incomplete Mechanics:
CharacterTrainer (Import/Export)
Developer Console
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things Learned

1. The main quest is the only way to start your own faction without cheats. Keep the banner or you lose your chance.
2. If you make your own faction, your banner color is locked in FOREVER (without mods) as of now. Pick a color you like before the turn in!
3. Every conversation with random chances listed for responses are a one time opportunity. Fail and you can't talk to them again. Save ahead.
4. Conversations with random chances can sometimes critically succeed +2 or critically fail -2, making them even more frustrating.
5. Player characters that marry can have a ton of children.
6. Women can die of childbirth, seemingly at random.
7. Always ransom (or execute) nobles when you take them prisoner. There's a bug, they always escape super fast if you don't. Get the money.
8. There is no announcement when a tournament happens... You have to stumble upon them or ask an arena master.
9. When you find a tournament and enter it, always bet on yourself. (On the right hand side of the match up window when you're in the match.)
10. The AI does not consider army strength and will attack seasoned armies with peasants.
11. The AI does not like to stay at peace with a stronger power. They attack anyway.
12. Children born during a campaign start with zero attribute points and focus points, making their learning limit capped at 2 for every skill.
13. Children become fully functional companions when they turn 18 years old, and are currently unable to be seen before that.
14. Children start the game at a higher level when they are 18. It appears to be randomly determined.
15. Children are always carbon copies of whatever parent shares their gender.
16. The main hero will never be executed by his enemies when they defeat him. It's always imprisonment.
17. Death by old age is currently not active, and characters can live to be well over 100.
18. Heirs getting married is really buggy. Even making arranged marriages for them.
19. NPC's do not get married and have children. Only NPC's married at the beginning will have kids. This prevents future generations currently.
20. Women can't marry after 34. Men can't marry after 39. (This is based on the Developer Console info.)
21. Women can have children between 18 and 45. This means the babies stop at 46. (Thanks to joshimoo for showing me the code.)
22. Female Heroes other than the Player have a 5% chance to be infertile. Decided at start of campaign. (Thanks to joshimoo.)
23. The game takes every weapon you ever make via Smithing and starts selling it in stores. Nothing will be unique currently.
24. Factions that you take all of the territory from will still exist and run around with parties of 0-40 troops constantly.
25. You can't abandon leadership of the kingdom you founded. (Can't really leave it.)
26. You can't abandon your Clan and/or start a new one. You're stuck with it, no matter how large it gets.

Things Fixed/Changed After My First Playthrough

1. You have exactly 10 years in the game to finish the main quest. (Not 10 years from each step. 10 years from start to end.)
^ The above is listed as having been fixed as of version e1.0.11. (Updated 04/13/2020.)
2. Faction leaders will never defect and join any other kingdom.
^ As of Beta e1.2.0, when you do the main quest and beat down an Imperial faction, they'll disband and join other factions, including the leader.

The Rundown

Okay, so I finally feel like I'm done with my first playthrough of Bannerlord. (Far from done with this game.)

I tried to keep my playthrough as "natural" and unmodded as possible, but there are certain features that are bugged/incomplete that I did use the above mods to circumvent. Namely, children not having any stats whatsoever, and not being able to "die" as a main hero yet.

In my playthrough, I went through 3 different generations of heroes. My original hero had the longest time invested on him. I played my first hero until he was 57, then used the console make him ill and continued as his daughter. I played her until she was 55, then console killed her, and resumed play as her son, which was my final hero.

Hero # 1 - First Character

Started the game and joined the Southern Empire as soon as I could. Helped them fight some wars, ended up getting a couple of fiefs given to me.

Decided that since I had some property, it was time to get married. Used the encyclopedia to find my character's bride to be, which was Phaea, and then set off to talk to her. I'd also read about this process online, so I saved the game before we started talking each time. It took me 19 tries to clear the dialogue successfully with her, and then I set off to talk to her father, Crotor, to get married. I was disappointed to see that the entire marriage was just the game telling me that we were married now. (I hope that's going to get improved at some point.) I immediately took Phaea into my party and started using her as a companion. Problem was, every time I'd rest somewhere with her, she'd get pregnant.

During the course of playing this character, I noticed that tournaments would be going on in certain towns and the only way I'd find out about them was by going to the "Arena" section on the town menu. There aren't any announcements about them like Warband had. (Hopefully that will be coming.) You can, however, visit an arena and ask the arena master where the closest tournaments are happening.

After a long time of just playing and exploring, I eventually got a popup that said I'd failed the main quest to talk to 10 lords and ladies. I was at 7/10, because I had just been talking to them as I saw them out in the wild. I came to the forums here and found out that if you don't do the main quest, you can't start your own kingdom. I rolled back to a previous save, and finished the main quest. During the quest, I had to leave the Southern Empire, and I did so by telling Rhagaea that I wished to be released from my oath. That made me have to give up my fiefs. So my fiefs were the ones I took when I needed property for the main quest. :grin:

After finishing the main quest and founding my kingdom, I noticed that the Southern Empire was getting huge. They had pretty much all of the territory that the original empire factions all held, and they'd taken the territory above Vlandia as well. My fiefs were dead in the middle of the Southern Empire's territory, so I decided to trim the fat a little and start conquering their holdings. Pretty soon, I'd taken over all of the Southern Empire's fiefs that were around me, and they were stuck with the little area above Vlandia that they held. Around this time, the Aserai had come up from the south and were constantly attacking my eastern border. I kept making peace with them, but they just kept attacking. I also actively rode around the land finding vassals and trying to recruit everyone I could in the process. (Saving before each conversation, of course.)

Around this time, Phaea suddenly died in childbirth, giving birth to her 15th child. That was a terrible surprise, but rather than roll back the save, I let it happen. I used that as my character's motivation to go to war with the Aserai and beat them back. But, admittedly, I may have taken that too far. I pushed the Aserai until they only had a couple cities left. In my mind, I thought I could leave them with those cities and the AI would stop making them attack my holdings. Instead, Vlandia then swooped down and gobbled them up.

That was the point when I realized that Vlandia had been spreading like wildfire during my war with the Aserai. Vlandia had wiped Battania, Sturgia, and half of the Khuzait Khanate off of the map. I tried to coexist with Vlandia, but war was inevitable. We were about equal sized at this point. Finally, they started the war by attacking my western border. We actually had some competitive battles at first over a couple of fiefs. But after I destroy their armies a few times, they started running with peasant armies that I'd just slaughter with my experienced troops. I tried to hold the borders with them after that and kept paying them for peace.

I switched a lot of my focus onto Smithing around the time my character's first daughter had turned 18 and was able to come into my party. That's also the point when I realized that children born into the game are terribly broken right now... They have no attribute points and their Learning Limit is stuck at 2 for every skill. This is the point where I had to use the CharacterTrainer mod to actually fix the daughter and give her attributes and focus points. I started using her as a second smithing character, and did the same when the next two children came of age shortly thereafter. I tried to marry one of my sons off to someone's daughter, thinking she would then join my clan and that would give me another companion, but it was really buggy. The guy kept wanting my daughters and my SONS to marry his son... And it wasn't until I offered a daughter to that son was he willing to talk about marrying my son to his daughter. Then he told me to go introduce myself to his daughter, which I did, and she kept saying she wasn't allowed to talk to me. I had +6 Influence with her entire family and we weren't at war, so I have no idea why. I gave up on marrying my son off at this point. I also noticed some family heirloom weapons I'd made specific for my character's children were now showing up for Trade in cities... Those were supposed to be one-of-a-kind items! :razz:

After a while, when my main hero was 57 I decided I wanted to try out the heir system and see how it worked. First I tried rushing enemies as a one man army, but they would always imprison me and never execute me, even with hero deaths enabled. Soon or later, I realized that must not be a thing. (I would have let him die of natural causes, but dying of old age doesn't seem to be active in the game yet.) So I installed the developer console and made him ill to kill him off. The popup came up and asked me to select an heir, so I picked his eldest daughter.

Hero # 2 - First Character's Daughter

She was 22 years old and level 24 when I took over playing her, and the map situation was where Vlandia only controlled their original territories now and the rest of the map belonged to my kingdom. I tried not to mess with them, and only engaged in battles when they attacked our holdings.

For my first order of business, I searched the encyclopedia for a husband and realized there was only one eligible husband in the entire game now. He had been born into the game around the time of this character, so he was also in his twenties. I went out to make the marriage happen. Problem was, he was from the Aserai and he was a castle sitter, who never seemed to go out onto the battlefield. Every time I'd track him down, he was in one of my faction's castles and he was be promptly thrown into the dungeon. It was a nightmare to stay at peace long enough to talk to him and get married. Then when I went to talk to his father to seal the deal, his father wanted him to marry EVERY GIRL IN MY CLAN, all of my original character's daughters. Thinking that was a bug, I accepted. He immediately made 4 girls his ex-spouse and married the youngest. Weird. So I rolled back and used the developer console to force a marriage to just that one character. (I also learned from the console that 39 is the hard limit on getting married for men. Male characters over 40 cannot.) Once my hero was pregnant and had her son, I used the console to kill off that sicko father. (Encyclopedia updated to say he was assassinated. lol.)

For the most part, I played a peacekeeper during this time and worked on smithing. I did everything I realistically could to keep Vlandia and my kingdom from going to war. It was a struggle to keep them on the map. I disavowed every policy that made it beneficial for my kingdom to have large armies and engage in battle, but it didn't matter. My lords and ladies just kept declaring war on Vlandia. Right around the time her son came of age, my kingdom had conquered the entire map without me doing anything personally to wipe out Vlandia.

I decided now it was time for a change. I used the console to kill this hero off at 52, and took over playing as her son.

Hero # 3 - First Character's Grandson

This guy was actually 30 when I took over playing him, so it was almost like starting anew. First thing I had to do was change his appearance, he was a carbon copy of his dad/grandfather on that side and was short and ugly as heck. Then I had to use CharacterTrainer to give him attributes and focus points. He started at level 26 when he was of age.

This guy I decided I wanted to leave the big empire I'd established and join the Aserai and try to rebuild their holdings. So I opened the kingdom menu and clicked to leave the kingdom. It asked if I wanted to relinquish my fiefs and I said yes. I "left" the kingdom, but kept my fiefs. I looked in the encyclopedia and I was also still the leader of the kingdom I'd founded, according to that.

I pressed on and found the leader of Aserai. I used the developer console to set my relation with him to -10, since that's the minimum to become a vassal. I entered the conversation and the option to join them was grayed out. When I moused over it, it said "Your Clan must be rank 2." Which made no sense, since my Clan was rank 6 at this point. I figured this wasn't intended as a game mechanic, so I used the console to put myself into the Aserai faction. It worked. But it was weird... I was in the Aserai faction, and listed as leader of the kingdom I founded still.

Didn't matter though, I set off to raise a new army from the Aserai villages and towns, and began attacking my old kingdom wherever I could. They would always regard me as "lordship" like I was still their leader, but the game still let me attack them. It was difficult at first, but after a while they too started returning with peasant armies and my Aserai army was getting quite strong. It was a long and difficult process that probably took 12 hours or so of real time, but I conquered the map for a second time as an Aserai warlord.

Additionally, none of the NPC's had gotten married and had children, so there was literally no female left in the world under the age of 35 for my original hero's grandson to marry.

At the end of this playthrough, my final character's great grandfather, Crotor, was still alive and kicking at age 107.

Conclusion

At that point I figured I should be done with this playthrough, because who knows what all I broke on the back end by using the console so much in the later hours. I'll probably wait until the next Beta patch, or when the Alpha branch comes live, but I'll definitely be jumping back in there. This has been a rundown of my experiences in the first playthrough. There's been bumps and bugs along the way, but it's been very fun... I really enjoy this game in its Early Access state, and I can't wait to see what it becomes when it's done.

I'm also open to any questions that anyone might have. I tried to include all the details I thought were needed and important, but feel free to ask below if you have any questions you'd like answered.

Last edited:
Currently the inter-generational play-through is not feasible. I conquered the whole map by the time my character was 40, 10 years in game. Your son/daughters all feel like companions with no stats when they come of age, none feel unique in personality or skillset and they look exactly like either you or your wife (twins are fine but even then their personalities and skills should not be exactly the same) so you might as well choose one at random to be the heir.

None will join other factions, form dynamic clans of their own, create civil wars, become merchants or bandits (mostly bastard children), have interesting quest lines or dialogue because the game's over before the second generation even comes of age.

Last edited:
Currently the inter-generational play-through is not feasible. I conquered the whole map by the time my character was 40, 10 years in game. Your son/daughters all feel like companions with no stats when they come of age, none feel unique in personality or skillset and they look exactly like either you or your wife (twins are fine but even then their personalities and skills should not be exactly the same) so you might as well choose one at random to be the heir.

None will join other factions, form dynamic clans of their own, create civil wars, become merchants or bandits (mostly bastard children), have interesting quest lines or dialogue because the game's over before the second generation even comes of age.
I only managed to milk 3 generations out of my game because I decided to re-conquer what I had already conquered... And I had to use mods to make it happen, and make my character's children into viable characters in the first place.

I'm hoping that TaleWorlds can tweak Bannerlord so that there is a lot more PvE content that distracts the lords from constant warfare. Feasts from Warband would be a good start, and announcing Tournaments so everyone can go and participate, instead of having to stumble upon them.

But there needs to be some serious balancing issues to make it impossible for anyone to conquer the entire map in less than say... 50 years. And it should only ever happen if the player intervenes and helps it along. There should be a point where the factions get "content" with their current holdings. But maybe they should always war to reclaim any territory that they lost since the beginning of the game.

I think that a lot of this isn't "missing" content, so much as it just hasn't been completed and added to the game yet. This is Early Access, after all, and they've been crystal clear that the game is far from done. But, I do sincerely hope that the final product will let you leave the kingdom you started, leave the clan you belong to and start another one, and the AI gets intelligent enough to realize that if you left the kingdom, they need to choose a new leader. :grin:

I give them the benefit of the doubt that down the road children will start to look like a mixture of their two parents, and will have stats.

The game would be much better with more dialogue/diplomacy, questing, and mini-game (throne room) options instead of just constant wars. Say you have plans for one of your daughters to marry the heir of another faction but she wants to marry Elroy of the forest people instead, there's a lot you could do with something like that. Or one of your sons doesn't like your current faction, creates his own clan starting his own family and joins another faction maybe even as a spy. Another son may only want to be governor of a specific city, ect. Or you create a bastard child who becomes a bandit king and eventually wants to take the throne in your kingdom starting a massive invasion.

If your children are nothing more than low stat companions who look exactly the same as you or your wife with the same personality, traits, and no story-line I don't really see much point in having a dynasty system......

They need to feel unique with differing pros/cons, likes/dislikes, and interesting story-line options.

Last edited:
If your children are nothing more than low stat companions who look exactly the same as you or your wife with the same personality, traits, and no story-line I don't really see much point in having a dynasty system......

They need to feel unique with differing pros/cons, likes/dislikes, and interesting story-line options.
I don't think that's the intention. Clearly the heir system isn't done. That's why there is no "natural" way to kill off your main character in the current game. And they have said in the past that children will mix and match features of both parents, which isn't happening yet.

I have faith that they're going to flesh it out to where children aren't clones of either parent, and they'll have starting attributes and focus points.

I have less faith that they're going to implement any type of a system that allows for Clan defections, starting another Clan, or for Clan members to betray you and join another faction... But it would be cool. I personally believe that the option to leave your Clan in the dust and form a new one should be a valid option, at the very least. If you're 3 generations in, sometimes you want to press the reset button and go back to a Rank 1 Clan and make a new name for yourself as the player, while still seeing remnants of your former work running around doing their thing in the old family. :smile: Plus, with the current system of having 15+ children in the first generation, you could quickly end up with a single Clan having 50 members, if they don't give an option to split it or greatly reduce the child count.

Very nice rundown.
I also married Phaea since Crotor was the first clan I took into my Kingdom and I was looking for a queen. I didn't know I had to take her into my party to get the marriage part rolling. But since the child thing is broken, maybe it's all for the better.

I think it is difficult to close up the border. As my Kingdom increases in size, I find that I lose track of notifications about which fiefs are under attack. And I am unclear what kind of strategy I am to employ. Should you run around chasing down small armies?

I hope that the game will allow you more info than just what is line of sight from your current position. What if your settlements spot an army passing by, shouldn't you get intel on that? Maybe working up a relationship with criminal gang leaders or maybe even bandit lairs to have them relay information to you about troop movements? That would be very interesting mechanic.
How did you deal with "rat problems" when you started to get a larger kingdom? How did you build garrisons in the cities? Did you micro manage it all or did you disregard it. Or did you just use dev console to fill them up? As a king, I would want to set a desired minimum garrison size on a city and then let my governor/companion/vassal fill it up.

Very nice rundown.
I also married Phaea since Crotor was the first clan I took into my Kingdom and I was looking for a queen. I didn't know I had to take her into my party to get the marriage part rolling. But since the child thing is broken, maybe it's all for the better.

I think it is difficult to close up the border. As my Kingdom increases in size, I find that I lose track of notifications about which fiefs are under attack. And I am unclear what kind of strategy I am to employ. Should you run around chasing down small armies?

I hope that the game will allow you more info than just what is line of sight from your current position. What if your settlements spot an army passing by, shouldn't you get intel on that? Maybe working up a relationship with criminal gang leaders or maybe even bandit lairs to have them relay information to you about troop movements? That would be very interesting mechanic.
How did you deal with "rat problems" when you started to get a larger kingdom? How did you build garrisons in the cities? Did you micro manage it all or did you disregard it. Or did you just use dev console to fill them up? As a king, I would want to set a desired minimum garrison size on a city and then let my governor/companion/vassal fill it up.
You don't have to keep the wife in your party to make babies... But you need to rest in the same location she's in, from my experience.

I can tell you that I wish I had shelved Phaea until after her child bearing years, once I had an heir. She kept just having babies, and the 15th one killed her. She was my strongest companion at the time, and I felt terrible about that. :sad: In any future playthroughs, I'll have one or two kids from the wife, hope that doesn't kill her, and then retire her to a castle until she's 40+ years old.

I didn't use mods for anything other than what I specified in my rundown... Fixing children, and joining the Aserai on the last character.

I would typically build up a strong army, then dump whatever troops would fit into a garrison without starving to death into one, then go recruit new troops. Don't put more seasoned troops into a garrison than that settlement can feed, or you'll lose them. Mostly though, I just kept recruiting vassals and before I knew it, there was armies running around everywhere keep mostly everything safe. After a while though, they got out of hand and started conquering more territory... Which was against my personal goals as a player, where I was trying to keep the factions alive. I never wanted to dominate the entire map, but my own AI teammates had other plans.

Usually settlements in the middle of your territory can be left without a garrison, just set them to constantly build up the militia if you own them. You want to get your territory so you're contested on as few borders as possible. If that means abandoning your current holdings in the short term and picking a new location to start dominating from, that might help.

Yes, I had about 600K gold when I started my kingdom. It was easy to pick a fight with anybody, grab some fiefs and then pay 50K gold for peace. They'd even accept and leave even when they had 700 men outside the gates of a city I had just taken from them.

I hired a couple of mercenaries in addition to the Crotos clan. In addition, two companions were out with their armies. I certainly wish I had a little better control over them. They'd loot villages before I could capture the city. Of course, I would have wanted those villages unraided so the whole holding wouldn't reset, prosperity wise. Maybe a future could also allow me to indicate on the map where I want to focus the current campaign. Holding chokes and get a better utility of castles. Today, castles aren't so great. Their villages need to get to a friendly town in order to sell their stuff, so castles wither away if you just pass them, which is almost reverse of their intented function.

I'm hoping that TaleWorlds can tweak Bannerlord so that there is a lot more PvE content that distracts the lords from constant warfare. Feasts from Warband would be a good start, and announcing Tournaments so everyone can go and participate, instead of having to stumble upon them.

But there needs to be some serious balancing issues to make it impossible for anyone to conquer the entire map in less than say... 50 years. And it should only ever happen if the player intervenes and helps it along. There should be a point where the factions get "content" with their current holdings. But maybe they should always war to reclaim any territory that they lost since the beginning of the game.
maybe the AI should be constrained to, say , just conquering designated border regions, and go back and forth over those until player intervention

This is actually incredibly valuable information, as a 140hr multigenerational playthrough.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.
I'm glad that some folks find this information useful. :smile:

Yes, I had about 600K gold when I started my kingdom. It was easy to pick a fight with anybody, grab some fiefs and then pay 50K gold for peace. They'd even accept and leave even when they had 700 men outside the gates of a city I had just taken from them.

I hired a couple of mercenaries in addition to the Crotos clan. In addition, two companions were out with their armies. I certainly wish I had a little better control over them. They'd loot villages before I could capture the city. Of course, I would have wanted those villages unraided so the whole holding wouldn't reset, prosperity wise. Maybe a future could also allow me to indicate on the map where I want to focus the current campaign. Holding chokes and get a better utility of castles. Today, castles aren't so great. Their villages need to get to a friendly town in order to sell their stuff, so castles wither away if you just pass them, which is almost reverse of their intented function.
When I finished the campaign on the third generation, I had about 32 million gold, and 67k influence in the kingdom before I left it. There were a couple of things that I found to be incredibly frustrating as a monarch. (1) I couldn't control my lords and ladies to prevent them from declaring war, and if they did, I had to seek out the enemy and chase them down since they'd all run at least the same speed as me to get peace back. (2) Certain settlements would just starve constantly, no matter what you changed on your end.

maybe the AI should be constrained to, say , just conquering designated border regions, and go back and forth over those until player intervention
Maybe. But I think it would take some advanced AI programming to make that happen. An AI would need to be able to account for if another faction had been wiped off the map, because that would change their borders. And realistically, they should have the leaders of factions that lose all their territory join other factions too, instead of running around with parties of 40 or less and being a threat to no one... Unless they actually will let you leave your kingdom/Clan and go join them to rebuild them, as an option.

Or maybe the NPC kings and lords should have a preference towards the kind of lands they find interesting or even a specific home turf. It is kind of weird that the southern empire doesn't focus on recapture what was initially their prime cities.
In Crusader Kings 2, there is the concept of "de jure", a kind of affinity of region that has much greater inertia and resiliency than the whims of the current captor.
One might also consider a game mechanic that had a greater chance of following the cultural lines. Maybe a bonus of unifying regions/cultures. Or maybe it should be punished more if you have large lands, but not caring to rebuild them. That you are spending their taxes on warfare while they are suffering.

Or maybe the NPC kings and lords should have a preference towards the kind of lands they find interesting or even a specific home turf. It is kind of weird that the southern empire doesn't focus on recapture what was initially their prime cities.
In Crusader Kings 2, there is the concept of "de jure", a kind of affinity of region that has much greater inertia and resiliency than the whims of the current captor.
One might also consider a game mechanic that had a greater chance of following the cultural lines. Maybe a bonus of unifying regions/cultures. Or maybe it should be punished more if you have large lands, but not caring to rebuild them. That you are spending their taxes on warfare while they are suffering.
Or maybe they adopt a little bit of what the Civilization series has with leader personalities, and make the traits of the current leader shine through in how that faction behaves. Then if you have a faction starting too many wars, you just off the leader until they get someone who favors peace in there. lol

It sounds like you want the same as me, crusader kings 2 with actual gameplay.^^
And this game has to potential to be just that, the question is, will they use it and if they use it, how long wil it take to get to that point.

Your efforts are much appreciated, and answers some of the questions I had, but I would like to know how you coped with escaping Nobles. In my game it has become a big problem. I have taken all of the Southern and Western Empire, but it seems as I progress, the escape problem gets worse.
It came to a head following a big battle in which I took 7 Nobles prisoner. I put them in the closest dungeon and set out to take a Town, only, just a few game hours later, met one of the Nobles with a new army! Going back to the dungeon, they were gone.
I believe there was a mod to fix this, but the file is no longer there, (expect it stopped working due to updates).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom