Riding, and athletics skill gains (beta 1.1.0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi!

I feel like the rate at which you gain athletics skill, and riding skill, is too fast. I feel a bit dirty when I see that my riding has gotten up to 120, when my bow is still at 70.
I think this should be balanced so that riding, and athletics skills are gained at a slower rate than the rest of the skills, or just remove the gains from riding a horse on map, or walking on foot on map.

I'm not sure if this is really bothering anyone, but it does feel like it's too easy to level these two up, now. They are not the most important skills in the game, but they do make the game a lot easier to beat, so to say.
That said, it does feel like leveling everything up in the beta has now become too easy, or we just got used to the pain of the grind in the previous versions.

Thanks for reading! I'd like to hear your opinions on this, too!

Maybe slow it down but don’t make it slower than other traits
I think the only issue with these two would be that you can level them up both actively, and passively, which makes them a bit too over-leveled compared to other skills.
There's only steward which can be leveled both passively, and actively IIRC, but it doesn't mean much until you get to mid game.

Riding just lets you use marginally faster horses, it's other effects feel pretty minimal aside from one or two perks. So riding level is basically irrelevant. (Fun fact: you can couch Lance on a mule and it's pretty much as effective as a warhorse lol)

Athletics on the other hand is bloody essential for anyone not on a horse, unless you want to die of old age before walking anywhere - and getting off your horse is already a massive disadvantage. So I'm happy that's levelling much faster.

Riding just lets you use marginally faster horses, it's other effects feel pretty minimal aside from one or two perks. So riding level is basically irrelevant. (Fun fact: you can couch Lance on a mule and it's pretty much as effective as a warhorse lol)

Athletics on the other hand is bloody essential for anyone not on a horse, unless you want to die of old age before walking anywhere - and getting off your horse is already a massive disadvantage. So I'm happy that's levelling much faster.
Yes, athletics is much more essential to foot troops than riding is to cavalry.
The riding perks do give you great perks for horse archers, though, which made me default to being a horse archer on both playthroughs, but perks are still a work in progress, so I guess there'll be a lot of changes done to them.
I just do feel it's slightly overpowered, because if not for the passive gains, riding still has some nice perks which do make a difference in game, especially when you're playing on realistic, and going on foot is not an option in the early game.

Yes, athletics is much more essential to foot troops than riding is to cavalry.
The riding perks do give you great perks for horse archers, though, which made me default to being a horse archer on both playthroughs, but perks are still a work in progress, so I guess there'll be a lot of changes done to them.
I just do feel it's slightly overpowered, because if not for the passive gains, riding still has some nice perks which do make a difference in game, especially when you're playing on realistic, and going on foot is not an option in the early game.
Ehh... I've looked at the current riding perks, and tested their impact via the Dev console mod, they really don't have as much of an effect as the tooltips imply. I expect they'll get completely overhauled at some point. The only one that really looks like it'll be "influential" right now is the one about lame horses - which implies horse health will actually be important when/if that's ever implemented (though there will be nothing to stop rich players from just swapping a lame one for another from their herd of spares, then slaughtering the old one for meat lol)

I feel like the longer athletics takes to level up, the longer it'll take for it to become a viable option, as you can barely keep up with tier 2-3 units on foot, normally (their stats inflate pretty fast as they level) which means slowing down athletics xp will just marginalise that playstyle (moreso than horse+polearm already makes it "unoptimal" anyway).

I got 58 hours in this game and the gain is perfect. It already takes a whole day to get this around 70 and you keep saying that's not grindy enough.
Athletics, you can't keep up with a tier 2 troop, how is that fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I feel like the rate at which you gain athletics skill, and riding skill, is too fast. I feel a bit dirty when I see that my riding has gotten up to 120, when my bow is still at 70.
I think this should be balanced so that riding, and athletics skills are gained at a slower rate than the rest of the skills, or just remove the gains from riding a horse on map, or walking on foot on map.

I'm not sure if this is really bothering anyone, but it does feel like it's too easy to level these two up, now. They are not the most important skills in the game, but they do make the game a lot easier to beat, so to say.
That said, it does feel like leveling everything up in the beta has now become too easy, or we just got used to the pain of the grind in the previous versions.

Thanks for reading! I'd like to hear your opinions on this, too!
taking away the passiv bonus ..... well i think thats alright..... (although i dont like reduced skill gains)
as long the activ bonus stays

Back
Top Bottom