SP - General Clan Defection & the Curious Case of Cultural Suicide

Users who are viewing this thread

I have noticed that especially towards the endgame (which currently comes far, far far too early) when the player's chosen faction is dominating the map, former enemy lords will flock to their conquerors to join them. Although the recent patches has helped with this not happening too early, they still do it when they begin to become desperate.

Now, I have no objection to clans doing this, after all they have little other choice than to throw their lot in with someone else, but it DOES begin to get a little silly when the total number of "foreign" clans outnumber the original clans. For example playing as the Aserai, towards the end of my game my faction was bloated with all the clans from Battania, many from Sturgia and a handful from each Empire. They outnumbered the original Aserai clans pretty heavily. Most battles I had to fight alongside Vladians and Battanians, rather than my fellow Aserai. It felt especially grim taking the last city of the Battanians backed almost exclusively by former Battanian lords who then all voted for themselves to have it.

This willingness by the AI to accept any and all clans which show up on their doorstep makes it feel like the winning faction starts to lose its cultural identity and aesthetics, which is obviously part of the reason for joining in the first place. You can gather all of Calradia under one banner, but ends up feeling like you're never absorbing the defeated clans/kingdoms into your own, but rather that you're just giving them a free meal ticket to continue existing without any concessions or consequence at all.

One possible solution to this, in my mind, would be to let whether a clan joins your faction or not come down to a vote among the clans which share the cultural background of the faction. One you'd then have a chance to influence rather than just accepting everyone who shows up unemployed looking to join the winners.

Other things could help this as well:
* The ability to rebuild conquered cities in the style of the new owners, making the troops available there a mix of the new owners and the original people living there (kind of like how Rome would reshape their conquered territories and attempt to turn the people into "new Romans" through various means), as well as a policy to enforce this change, lest the lords holding the cities and castles be penalized.
* A policy enforcing that standing armies must be composed of at least 50% troops from the base faction, or suffer financial/influence debuffs? (Letting in a foreign lord and his clan, then allowing them to build up huge armies exclusively composed of their landsmen seems like a very dangerous thing to do).
*A policy which only lets clans of the same cultural background as the faction become rulers would also make sense (why would the Aserai ever accept letting a Vladian clan rule them after graciously letting them join after defeating them, for example?)
* Whenever a foreign lord joins another faction, they could at the very least get new armor that better matches the faction they have joined ("When in Rome", after all).

What I'm looking for, in short, is more visual and and aesthetic cohesion. At the moment, clans who defect and join other factions seem like they have far too much agency and that they aren't taking their new roles as vassals by the grace of their conquerors very seriously. Especially those joining in the moment of defeat. They arrive humiliated like a dog begging for scraps, yet the moment they join they suddenly act the equal of their new masters and start making demands for land and possessions. And I think the same should be true for a player clan which abandons a faction to join a new one. You should have a lot to prove before being given the same rights as those you now serve, especially when it comes to the cultural aspects, to show that you really want to be part of your new faction.

I invite people to give some feedback on this. Right now I just feel like defection isn't a very serious thing that has little consequence apart from your former faction disliking you, whereas I think it deserves a lot more penalties in various forms.

Last edited:
Lords switching factions too easily seems to be one of the main reasons why the snowballing happens, there definitely needs to be a way to keep that in check. This seems like it would help.

I support the post, especially the possibility to change the culture of the towns through a building, and the policies made to support that, with some increasing debuffs to loyalty (up to unmanageable) if you don't change the culture of the settlement AND loyalty penalties the moment you do it; all this considered would lead to rebellions if done at the wrong time, or without enough attention... or repression (impacting the cruel/benevolent trait?).

Plus that would be the final answer to the snowball meta ! And would stop the player from the "I can't fight with my favorite mix of troop because I'm too far in to even recruit them".

Certain defections make no sense at all. Vlandian lords defecting to the Aserai and the Aserai welcoming them with open arms is a perfect example of that. I'd prefer clans sticking to their culture.

I feel like same culture new kingdom mass secessions would mitigate a lot of this. That is to say, a few influential clans unsatisfied w the king (e.g. the king’s wartime leadership) could conspire and start a new kingdom w their fiefs + a dice roll chance to get 1-2 of the kings holdings.

That mass secession would be interesting even if the kingdom in question was not getting steamrolled, but it would also mitigate the issue you’re describing.

Sounds almost like what happened to the Romans, eh?

The defining feature of the Roman Empire was the assimilation of outsiders. Most Roman leaders were still suffering from a kind of national trauma about Celts long after Brennus sacked Rome, but they still had Celts, Carthaginians and Greeks in their Senate not long after the invasion of Gaul. On of the reasons the later barbarian migrations even happened is that people outside the empire knew they could join it and be protected.

The problem with Bannerlord is that you're not assimilating people into the empire, you're just accepting these random turncoats with their entire armies along with them. I saw a hilarious moment in a youtube series where OfficiallyDevin was chasing an army which suddenly switched factions, but the faction it switched to was also at war, so nothing changed.
I get that armies might suddenly switch sides during a war, but the game should put them in their own new faction in that case, not just automatically weld them onto the new faction. Warband had this issue as well but I don't think it was as bad as it is now.

I also made a post where I mentioned this issue. The current problem is there is just some RNG and relation based trigger making lords to be like "aight boys, pack your s**t we're leaving" whenever the king does not majorly support them. There is no reasoning behind the AI behavior other than a bunch of numbers (please don't call me out on the fact that in the end everything is represented by numbers in computers). It does not make sense, it feels artificial and is a weak predicate for a clan to simply leave their kingdom whenever things just don't play their way.

Clans lack any kind of attachment to their settlements. They don't desire to get their territory back, only to gain whichever comes next and then they get p**sed when they don't receive a fief that was taken back and returned to it's previous owner. No sense of patriotism either.
They suffer no consequences for defecting like loosing trust and integrity as lords, their troops do not desert, no morale penalty is given and younger members of the family just go along with it like nothing has happened.

Lord defection should only occur in case of (the more conditions met the bigger chance of defecting) of these condition are met:
1. Massive weakening of their kingdom. Lord previously owning castle/city not being able to regain their influence for a long period of time.
2. Not receiving support from the king or from other vassals. (not relationship over number of fiefs and their already established postion in the kingdom)
3. Being left behind (bypassed) to the enemy army.
4. Being offered a fief and or a large amount of money by the enemy king/lord.

Also there should be a kingdom policy, which gives the king the permission to accept defected lord or should it be up to voting, like it is with fiefs. Also the rulers should want to maintain their position and try to lower the amount the controversy their actions would cause. They can do that by supporting their original vassals. When a fief is lost and retaken, the original owner should regain the fief or a civil war should occur. It is extremely silly to see some freshly accepted clan getting a fief that was once owned by the local family just because the freshly accepted clan hadn't had the chance to mess up the relationship level with the king through the game events.

Same should go for declaring wars. Wars should be declared based on an event or some background. There was a clear intention of that in Warband but to me it appeared it was never fully completed. Some clans/individuals should have the intentions to provoke wars in this order to:
1. Regain their lost fiefs.
2. Avenge executed family members.
4. Solve border disputes. Which could occur randomly or be event based (too many bandits in the area, bordering faction village has higher prosperity).
3. Gain new fiefs and wealth. Could collate with the previous point.

Also, like in Warband we need quest lines where you back clans which desire to end/start war as well in some cases wars could be the subject of voting, just like with any other kingdom related matter.

TLDR: Lord defections and war declarations should be event based not RNG based.
EDIT: Typos

Last edited:
I really think lords defecting from there culture kingdom and joining a different culture kingdom should be exceptionally rare.

A rebellion or civil war mechanic, where they fight for control over their own kingdom would be great.

But what we have right now is bunk

I really think lords defecting from there culture kingdom and joining a different culture kingdom should be exceptionally rare.

A rebellion or civil war mechanic, where they fight for control over their own kingdom would be great.

But what we have right now is bunk

Either rare or disabling it completely, civil war makes more sense either to separate or take over the throne. Defections as it is now should only be between empire factions.

It needs to be possible for Clans to leave their starting faction, either by their own choice or because they are forced out by the other clans and/or king. But it doesn't follow that they should immediately be accepted into a different faction. It was one of the most confusing and frustrating aspects of mid-late game Warband, and for the system to be just ported over to Bannerlord almost unchanged is particularly disappointing.

I really think that there needs to be a way for AI Clans to operate independently of a major faction in the same way that the player's Clan can. From there, they could form a new Kingdom and recruit other independents to join them, operate as bandits or mercenaries, or even join a major faction again - just as the player can do. But to have them switch sides with instant effect just damages the gameplay and immersion in the scenario/lore.

If having culturally-mixed major factions is a common feature of Calradia's "history" how come they are all neatly separated the start of the campaign? What changes, lore-wise, to make them suddenly all want to mix together within a few years? It doesn't matter very much how the Roman Empire was composed or organised in actual history: we're taking about the history of Calradia here. Empire Clans are all culturally "Empire" - until the player turns up, that is.

It's not consistent or convincing for instant defections to suddenly be the norm when they clearly never have been before the start of the game's scenario.

Last edited:
Been thinking about this in regards to recent game changes and maybe a good way to solve it would be to let clans whic leave their factions (or are forced out) become independent like mercenaries, until such a point where they secure enough favor with a different faction to join?
It wouldn't solve the massive cultural mishmash but it would make defections less arbitrary, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom