Users who are viewing this thread

so i have been crunching numbers over and over to find the best character/ army leader.
i basicly broke it down into 2 hand bows athletics leadership medicine. with these stats you can buff your armys damage hp speed experiance gain ect. the extra charm and trading perks early help generate soem influence quartermaster is fast leveling along with enginering when attacking settlements.

here is the snag that i have. is speed and damage better than hp. i dont know how much 4 hitpoints really helps. in 2 hand you can get 1.5 % damage or 3% hp and athletics you can get 3% movespeed or 4 hp. on top of this though you will be getting a ton of hp from other stats. 1 hand and pole arm for 3 hp and 3% hp.
10 hp in medicine. you have the possiblitiy for 10 more hp in athletics and it passivly gives you more movespeed anyway. top off with engi for 10% increased armor effectivness and im starting to think that heavy armor and hp is the way to go. but would that 3% more speed and 1.5% more damage be better. you also get stats that boost your damage while on your feet and can get athletics stat too increase your damage while low hp. so if you hp dropped your damage would spike every farther.

what is your take on this. do you think that damage trumps hp. i will put speed into a damage catagory aswell since movement can increase damage but also movement would allow you to avoid being hit aswell.

also the reason why 2 hand and bow is they are super strong at cheesing castles and other fights but they also gives bonus experiance to troops and have moral debuffs for enemies. i want my troops to gain as much experiance as possible have as many buffs as possible and crush the enemies hopes and dreams. plus they are personal abilities and the other weapon stats are party abilities so companions can handle them

toss in the first skill in tactics for the calv moral loss perk aswell

Last edited:
You already do enough damage in the game. You can't do damage, or command your army, if you're dead. You should be building yourself as a commander if you play on realism.

You already do enough damage in the game. You can't do damage, or command your army, if you're dead. You should be building yourself as a commander if you play on realism.
true. the extra damage i figured might kill them faster annd cause more moral loss in battle. make each swing count. movement speed would let me hit and and run out of mobs but hp will let me stand and soak damage. archer gets -2 moral to enemy troops. 2 hand gets -1 moral to troops and 2 hand attacks cause moral loss. then calv get moral affects. since the ai can be dumb i figure i would build a shieldwall of teir 3 infantry with javs. a group of archers behind and then any random troop or recruits up front as fodder or behind and rush forward to engage while i lead the calv to crash in from behind. hp would help me live on the horse and when downed but would the damage and speed help me cut my way out faster to safty if i get dismounted?

athletics boosts my movement speed a bit but how much do you need to bob and weave out of enemies

Get all HP perks, don't die. Min/max for attributes for what you want to use, since naturally you are going to use this the most for the longest time.
To me all the support skills feel bad and very unhelpful. Medicine, scouting, leadership...... barely any help. Sure, grab the easy perks but don't stress over getting them high.
There's also a mod that makes raise the weak work like trainer in warband where you get the exp X number of same units. I don't know why it doesn't work like that in bannerlord. How are they all getting bonus exp if really only 1 guy out of 20 was getting it? But then again, perk descriptions seem more for show then actual function.

Nah their nothing to build into, the skills and perks for support are garbage. Just be a horse archer with hp perks and a lance.
i dont think they are garbage. i have been making many character builds but never went into archery. i always wanted no wasted stats during creation. my character based on damage and hp would get swarmed in combat. have a harder time early with fights and quests money ect. the easiest start i had was with inteel and soc maxed out. full charm leadership and trade tactics and medical. i had a few balanced between the 2 but melee based.

with this new setup i am covering ground 5 times faster than ever before. i have been playing for about 45 mins on the new character and already close to level 8. already close to having leadership points set to climb.

focused archery and horse first. getting archery too the point i give bonus xp to lower tier archers in my group.

charm really helps get reputation early and lets villages drop more troops in your hands. bonus relation and reputation gain from fights. helps with lords ect.

i may not have a bunch of maxed weapon skills but i think this is the best all around build and ill put it down in a post here i dont recall exactly my starting stats but will try

My current plan. though it got mest up because i miscounted the skill points needed thinking every skill started at 15 points but they were 10 this time around.

troops get 20% more xp from combat

1 hand 25pts hp perk.

2 hand min-200pts for xp to troops or -1 moral for enemies. max-275 for full movespeed and cc from 2 hand attack knockdowns

polearm. min-25/50 for hp and depending how gov skill work idk 15 moral is great. no idea how it works. max-75 for increased horse damage so my

2 hand can cleave calv.

bow min-175 enemy moral -1 and archers in party get xp from me.

horse min-25 for horse hp but will end up with more from athletics maxing

athletics min-150 for bonus troop hp and damage. max-225 for 10hp and damage buff

smithing- 0

scout- 0

tactics- min-25 for moral affect max-150 for troops damage and placement

rougery 0

charm min-0 i went 50 for 20% more renown from battle will end up with more from leadership max. bonus affects npc relation helps early and later.

leadership min 25/50 bonus xp for troops and bonus moral for defense. max-225-275 for 20% more xp for troops. dont really need the extra party size. lowers wages gives garrisons xp and the big one unit cohesion. so your troops dont scatter about on the field if they seperate they get picked off. in formation they can kill the stragglers. plus leadership increases your total moral. since we buff our moral and have a higher one here plus degrade our enemies they will break.

trade 0 but you get stuck with 50 so extra gold and reduction in wages ect on shops.

stewardship 0 will level with medicine. has bonuses and massive party gains based on territory.

medic-275 for bonus troop hp plus the passive healing to troops is great and has some side perks for settlements ect.

engi-0 but will level with medic has some benifitial things like armored 10% more armor effectiveness.

every other skill line doesnt really accomplish much. the polarms and singlehand are fine for solo damage. most of the group skills in any other tree require a role specialization or are party member affects and not party leader ones.
crossbows ect are a later game weapon and the rank ups are so so. horses charge buffs ect are ok but eh your one horse.

i dont know if there is a max and idk how all the game works. i assume leveling your tree will give you bonus xp and you can level archery and horse together fast. you can level steward and leadership together decently . you can level steward and engi together very fast after settlement are captured. you need troops to do that and need them to survive to have troops. experiance and moral will win you fights vs greater numbers. you have a ton of ranged and close range damage but sacrifice ranged protection. you have a ton of hp. movespeed bonus armor effects. your troops are thicker stronger faster. you recover faster from battles and your men.

starting with mentor of the meek lets you get more advanced troops fast early its night and day. later you will be able to sit in base and level them too teir 3. in combat you have teir 3 imperials in shield wall with javs and archers teir 3 plus behind. fodder and low ranking soldiers in front or ready to flank and yourself leading cav. they will be peppered with range loosing moral with your bonuses have lowered it so low already then they will be hit with javs causing even more moral loss. then flanked and hit with cav for 10% more moral loss. then hit with 2 handed swords on the cav from you and your heroes causing 30% more moral loss. meanwhile you have over 30 more hitpoints 10% more armor. and you can cc enemies with your 2 handed hits taking them out of the fight if your low after swap to your bow.

the moral affects should in theory help you win battles at greater odds also. which would level that skill up faster aswell so everything here is compounding. and in this game after just 1 workshop i never really need money but i will get more from settlements i own and have a much more powerful army and be able to rebuild armies faster plus me being a walking army myself

Last edited:
My current plan. though it got mest up because i miscounted the skill points needed thinking every skill started at 15 points but they were 10 this time around.

troops get 20% more xp from combat

1 hand 25pts hp perk.

2 hand min-200pts for xp to troops or -1 moral for enemies. max-275 for full movespeed and cc from 2 hand attack knockdowns

polearm. min-25/50 for hp and depending how gov skill work idk 15 moral is great. no idea how it works. max-75 for increased horse damage so my

2 hand can cleave calv.

bow min-175 enemy moral -1 and archers in party get xp from me.

horse min-25 for horse hp but will end up with more from athletics maxing

athletics min-150 for bonus troop hp and damage. max-225 for 10hp and damage buff

smithing- 0

scout- 0

tactics- min-25 for moral affect max-150 for troops damage and placement

rougery 0

charm min-0 i went 50 for 20% more renown from battle will end up with more from leadership max. bonus affects npc relation helps early and later.

leadership min 25/50 bonus xp for troops and bonus moral for defense. max-225-275 for 20% more xp for troops. dont really need the extra party size. lowers wages gives garrisons xp and the big one unit cohesion. so your troops dont scatter about on the field if they seperate they get picked off. in formation they can kill the stragglers. plus leadership increases your total moral. since we buff our moral and have a higher one here plus degrade our enemies they will break.

trade 0 but you get stuck with 50 so extra gold and reduction in wages ect on shops.

stewardship 0 will level with medicine. has bonuses and massive party gains based on territory.

medic-275 for bonus troop hp plus the passive healing to troops is great and has some side perks for settlements ect.

engi-0 but will level with medic has some benifitial things like armored 10% more armor effectiveness.

every other skill line doesnt really accomplish much. the polarms and singlehand are fine for solo damage. most of the group skills in any other tree require a role specialization or are party member affects and not party leader ones.
crossbows ect are a later game weapon and the rank ups are so so. horses charge buffs ect are ok but eh your one horse.

i dont know if there is a max and idk how all the game works. i assume leveling your tree will give you bonus xp and you can level archery and horse together fast. you can level steward and leadership together decently . you can level steward and engi together very fast after settlement are captured. you need troops to do that and need them to survive to have troops. experiance and moral will win you fights vs greater numbers. you have a ton of ranged and close range damage but sacrifice ranged protection. you have a ton of hp. movespeed bonus armor effects. your troops are thicker stronger faster. you recover faster from battles and your men.

starting with mentor of the meek lets you get more advanced troops fast early its night and day. later you will be able to sit in base and level them too teir 3. in combat you have teir 3 imperials in shield wall with javs and archers teir 3 plus behind. fodder and low ranking soldiers in front or ready to flank and yourself leading cav. they will be peppered with range loosing moral with your bonuses have lowered it so low already then they will be hit with javs causing even more moral loss. then flanked and hit with cav for 10% more moral loss. then hit with 2 handed swords on the cav from you and your heroes causing 30% more moral loss. meanwhile you have over 30 more hitpoints 10% more armor. and you can cc enemies with your 2 handed hits taking them out of the fight if your low after swap to your bow.

the moral affects should in theory help you win battles at greater odds also. which would level that skill up faster aswell so everything here is compounding. and in this game after just 1 workshop i never really need money but i will get more from settlements i own and have a much more powerful army and be able to rebuild armies faster plus me being a walking army myself
so here you start the game with some horse. bow leadership healing. its hard to rank healing so you want that up. but max bow first your bow and horse will level then you get a follower and some men and drop on your feet for the ground game leveling athletics as your force gets more powerful your bow skill is almost maxed your horse skill is fine the extra men are helping with healing to level. fighting poor odds with your more experianced few men will level tactics and leadership now your men are strong so you can swap to your melee game get bonus hp. now your ready to take castles which will level engi and stewardship so like 5 or 6 skills are being maxed very fast. and they naturally progress off eachother. the minor polarm and one hand leveling can be finished up in the arena for early game armor and gold while in towns

as you slowly add more men spend the money to buy each man a horse. dont be a selfish leader and make them walk. now you move like the wind

Last edited:
Nah their nothing to build into, the skills and perks for support are garbage. Just be a horse archer with hp perks and a lance.

I don't like Riding, I like fighting as an Infantryman w/ a polearm, shield, & a bow.

I usually focus on 1 weapon skill, 1 ranged skill, athletics (because running speed is super important, plus it buffs all your non-riding units), trade, scouting, & stewardship. Once your athletics skill reaches about 120, if you're wearing leather armor, your running speed will be fast enough to catch many of the horsemen as they do their turns.

So stick with medium to light armor, a shield, and long ass weapons. Make sure you're taking command as your first priority, then assist with flanking the infantry line for some easy polearm kills.

I don't like Riding, I like fighting as an Infantryman w/ a polearm, shield, & a bow.

I usually focus on 1 weapon skill, 1 ranged skill, athletics (because running speed is super important, plus it buffs all your non-riding units), trade, scouting, & stewardship. Once your athletics skill reaches about 120, if you're wearing leather armor, your running speed will be fast enough to catch many of the horsemen as they do their turns.

So stick with medium to light armor, a shield, and long ass weapons. Make sure you're taking command as your first priority, then assist with flanking the infantry line for some easy polearm kills.
i like being on the ground aswell but the ai kinda uncontrollable and you want the calv to charge into their flanks. best way is to lead the charge yourself. i only run a shield later on when i dont need my bow leveled. i dont max any one hand but its the oh crap button if you get dismounted in a mob. so basicly im still a ground unit but i get to the action on a horse then it dies and i smash some faces.

i like being on the ground aswell but the ai kinda uncontrollable and you want the calv to charge into their flanks. best way is to lead the charge yourself. i only run a shield later on when i dont need my bow leveled. i dont max any one hand but its the oh crap button if you get dismounted in a mob. so basicly im still a ground unit but i get to the action on a horse then it dies and i smash some faces.

Ah, I control cavalry flanks by holding them behind my infantry line until the battle starts, then commanding them to go right or left with a hold position, then tell them to advance. The "advance" command is the same as charge, except they attempt to keep some semblance of a formation, leading to repeated mass charges into the enemy.

Side note: I do use the mod that makes sure units don't clip into and through each other, which leads to more realistic and slower infantry fights. Otherwise there is no point in flanking with cavalry - as the infantry fight ends too fast. In that case, it's best to advance your cavalry, and then advance your infantry like 2 seconds after.

Damage is always going to trump HP. If dying is ever an issue then avoid combat (can't die if you can't take hits) while commanding your vastly superior soldiers. If your skill level is very high as a combatant then you are going to be the best soldier by a very high margin and part of reducing casualties of your own troops is in killing enemy troops. Which means the faster you can kill the better you can turn the tide of battle into your favor, which requires damage and with enough damage and the correct load-out you can "1-shot" enemies which is even better than HP in most scenarios as you will take less damage from trading blows. The only time HP is the best stat in a game is when you have healing and that healing is not a flat rate but a % rate. Any other time defense is always better than HP (which you can do very well with expensive armor).

But when it comes to perks there is no need to take a damage perk that only affects a weapon that you don't plan to use, in that case take HP instead.

It is very easy if you get a long-reach pole-arm that has a swing mechanic on horseback. Take very wide sweeps around the edges of infantry lines or chase down enemy cavalry. No one should be able to even touch you except for archers due to the reach of a pole-arm and you won't be riding directly beside an infantry with a spear pointed at your horse if you only make swings to the side (much easier to time hits than a pierce or couch as well). When units bunch together and you cannot make precise hits without making friendly fire then just approach from behind and run over enemy units so friendly infantry get easy kills on prone targets. You can secondary a shield on horseback if you are afraid of archers or you can secondary a bow if you have no issues with archers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom