Is it necessary to autogenerate companion attributes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi,

First off I'm having loads of fun with the game, truly, and with the patches almost all instances of annoyance have been mitigated. There are of course some caveats still remaining, one of which is the following:

You start the game with an awesome backstory creation mechanic that decides who you are, your starting attributes and focus. I love this because it's realistic, you know, one is a product of their past and this backstory creation process captures that beautifully.

So you go out and find your companions. You scour the lands for the companions with the right skillset. You're looking for a scout, a surgeon, a quartermaster and an engineer to fill the clan roles, and you're also looking for tacticians to lead war parties and stewards to govern your settlements when it comes to that.

Finding no companion who is a good steward is not a bother really, because if you find a healer or an engineer, they're bound to be intelligent, and an intelligent man will grow into his role and one day make a good steward.

So you don't find a steward, but you find Katala Willowbark. You add her to your party because you need a governor, and you know she can't steward but she'll learn. After all, she's a great surgeon.

You pay for her things and add her to your party... Only to find out she literally has 0 intelligence.

(I know about the save and reload thing btw).

This is nowhere near a gamebreaker. So far I've found no gamebreakers to be frank, it's a game I'm sure to enjoy for a long time to come. But this, together with the much mentioned smithing grind, is for me the most annoying part of the game.

Hi,

First off I'm having loads of fun with the game, truly, and with the patches almost all instances of annoyance have been mitigated. There are of course some caveats still remaining, one of which is the following:

You start the game with an awesome backstory creation mechanic that decides who you are, your starting attributes and focus. I love this because it's realistic, you know, one is a product of their past and this backstory creation process captures that beautifully.

So you go out and find your companions. You scour the lands for the companions with the right skillset. You're looking for a scout, a surgeon, a quartermaster and an engineer to fill the clan roles, and you're also looking for tacticians to lead war parties and stewards to govern your settlements when it comes to that.

Finding no companion who is a good steward is not a bother really, because if you find a healer or an engineer, they're bound to be intelligent, and an intelligent man will grow into his role and one day make a good steward.

So you don't find a steward, but you find Katala Willowbark. You add her to your party because you need a governor, and you know she can't steward but she'll learn. After all, she's a great surgeon.

You pay for her things and add her to your party... Only to find out she literally has 0 intelligence.

(I know about the save and reload thing btw).

This is nowhere near a gamebreaker. So far I've found no gamebreakers to be frank, it's a game I'm sure to enjoy for a long time to come. But this, together with the much mentioned smithing grind, is for me the most annoying part of the game.
I believe you can view stats by right clicking on the portrait from the town menu before you go into the tavern, fwiw.

But you cannot see their intelligence etc. seeing someone who has 0 intelligence with 60 points on surgeon skill makes no sense really. Since your companions can only level up by grinding their skills like you, they are bound to stay at the same level forever... I found the solution by using character import/export mod to reduce their unnecessarily high control level etc. to increase their intelligence which makes them level up regularly again. :grin:

TBH I'm very disappointed with this new companion system. They are completely random, every new game creates new random toons, they have no personality, no backstory, no rants, no complains, they do not bicker at each other...
The old WB style system was far better, in BL they're just fodder to fill in clan roles or to serves as auxiliary units leaders.

TBH I'm very disappointed with this new companion system. They are completely random, every new game creates new random toons, they have no personality, no backstory, no rants, no complains, they do not bicker at each other...
The old WB style system was far better, in BL they're just fodder to fill in clan roles or to serves as auxiliary units leaders.
You know it's EA and we just have access to some of the auto-generated companions right? There are alot of auto-generated types not added yet and there are more "normal" story companions as well.

Say after me: It's early access. The game isn't completed yet.

Back
Top Bottom