Way to train troops

Users who are viewing this thread

Darkmantwo

Recruit
hi everyone,
What is the best way to train troops without loosing too much of them ?
the best way i found for the moment is autoresolve, but is there other ways?

This should not be.
This is your opinion, but the question isn't "What do you think the best way to train troops should be?"

My personal favorite way to train troops is to autoresolve against bandits rather than looters. Arrange the roster with the highest level characters at the top. Unlike fighting against looters, you will lose some troops, but you will gain more xp, and you can take tier 5 troops as prisoner, as well as getting loot rewards.

A good way to do this is to just sit outside a bandit camp. Most bandits will run from you, but sometimes they get a command to come back to the hideout, and in that case they will attack you regardless of relative strength. If you have some top tier troops at the head of your roster and you outnumber them well enough, there's a pretty high chance of taking no or minimal losses.

The fact that looters can't kill you is really a code oversight and there's a possibility it might be fixed. When the battle simulation takes place it just looks at the first equipment set of a given unit type. For looters the first equipment set uses a blunt weapon. Blunt weapons will never kill a target. Because of this looters can't kill when you auto resolve. If you go into normal combat, bandits will spawn with various weapons, and most of them can kill your troops. The ones with blunt weapons still can't kill anyone, but most of them have axes or pitchforks or sickles etc. It just happens that the first one in the list is a hammer, so every looter when you autoresolve uses a hammer, so they can never kill you.

I modded my game to correct this, and leveling against bandits is more rewarding, still better than actually fighting because of the speed and the fact that experience is multiplied by 8 in simulations. I think I might make a module that redoes the whole simulation, but with daily patches I'll probably wait a bit and see what happens first.

But even unmodified I prefer fighting bandits because they're easier to find, if you stack your party properly you can avoid heavy losses, they contribute high level troops as prisoners, and they provide more loot.

This is your opinion, but the question isn't "What do you think the best way to train troops should be?"

My personal favorite way to train troops is to autoresolve against bandits rather than looters. Arrange the roster with the highest level characters at the top. Unlike fighting against looters, you will lose some troops, but you will gain more xp, and you can take tier 5 troops as prisoner, as well as getting loot rewards.

A good way to do this is to just sit outside a bandit camp. Most bandits will run from you, but sometimes they get a command to come back to the hideout, and in that case they will attack you regardless of relative strength. If you have some top tier troops at the head of your roster and you outnumber them well enough, there's a pretty high chance of taking no or minimal losses.

The fact that looters can't kill you is really a code oversight and there's a possibility it might be fixed. When the battle simulation takes place it just looks at the first equipment set of a given unit type. For looters the first equipment set uses a blunt weapon. Blunt weapons will never kill a target. Because of this looters can't kill when you auto resolve. If you go into normal combat, bandits will spawn with various weapons, and most of them can kill your troops. The ones with blunt weapons still can't kill anyone, but most of them have axes or pitchforks or sickles etc. It just happens that the first one in the list is a hammer, so every looter when you autoresolve uses a hammer, so they can never kill you.

I modded my game to correct this, and leveling against bandits is more rewarding, still better than actually fighting because of the speed and the fact that experience is multiplied by 8 in simulations. I think I might make a module that redoes the whole simulation, but with daily patches I'll probably wait a bit and see what happens first.

But even unmodified I prefer fighting bandits because they're easier to find, if you stack your party properly you can avoid heavy losses, they contribute high level troops as prisoners, and they provide more loot.

They should not incentivize the player to skip the main point of playing the game by auto resolve.

I agree. Makes no sense that you get shtty rewards for manually fighting and much better when doing it the lazy way. Should be the other way around.
Please no.
At "worst" make it equal.
But the game is enough of a time sink as it is already and many of its mechanics aretedious enough as they are already just by the games design. I dont want to sit here for hours loading into and out of battles just to train a garrisson for my fifth castle Thats quitethe opposite of fun in my book

They should not incentivize the player to skip the main point of playing the game by auto resolve.

"Mainpoint of playing the game"
you mean a sandbox game, that literally has its focus whereever you as a player want it to be? I couldnt care less about training my troops and fighting the small skirmishes. If battles i care about those where hundreds of soldiers clash and outside of that i care about building a trade empire and manage a kingdom. sorry but fighting small bandit/looter groups is FAR from my main point in m&b

I agree that auto-resolving should not be better than manual battles.

We need party-wide XP and more useful passive training again.

Did they intentionally remove the passive training that occurred in Warband? I've noticed that my troops no longer slowly gain experience day to day like they used to.

I think there are a couple of perks that add passive experience each day to certain tiers, but I haven't tried it yet. In any case, I think there should be some sort of passive training, but it should consume time, like say add an option in the arena or in any castle/town you own to spend time training your troops so the time advances but you end up getting exp for all your party (maybe limited to certain tier of troops to not make it too strong).

I like that training isn't as stupidly easy as in Warband, though, where having a bunch of companions with high trainer skill would yield ridiculous amounts of elite troops. Armies were mostly comprised of peasants and such with little training in medieval times, so it's nice that the games reflects that.

Please no.
At "worst" make it equal.
But the game is enough of a time sink as it is already and many of its mechanics aretedious enough as they are already just by the games design. I dont want to sit here for hours loading into and out of battles just to train a garrisson for my fifth castle Thats quitethe opposite of fun in my book

I don't understand this. You don't want to play the core of the game (the battles), you just want to smash the autoresolve button and level up troops with no risk...for what exactly?

I would like to see a sparring grounds like in Warband where we can take troops/companions and level them up without worrying about getting killed, especially for companions because my god they hardly ever level up. :mad:

Yes. Autoresolving I'll usually get 10-20 troops leveled up. Meanwhile, manually fighting the same battle gets maybe 5 upgraded. It's a huge difference in the pace of the game. I'm really hoping it'll be looked at soon.

Honestly, autoresolve is a saving grace. Since there is no more passive training, as said above, do I really have to load in my 200 man army each time I want to fight 20 looters to level up the three peasants who won't even be anywhere near the looters by the time they are down? Personally, I am glad because manually fighting looters to scavenge exp for low level troops should not be the main activity. Leave manual fighting for when the odds are actually uncertain.

same here. auto resolve for troops. manual attack for player skill only.

if I want to improve my main char, I attack the biggest looter grup i can find. set my troops to hold and I work on the skills I want.

If I want to level my troops, I use AR.

However,I only use AR.. IF the army matchups are ok.

I have lost too many good men to horse archers in AR to rely on it too much.

YET, AR grantsby far the bestXP for troops.

Back
Top Bottom