taleworlds does not care about the experienced players multiplayer scene

Users who are viewing this thread

+1 to OP he is right on the money. Personally we had a friend already return the game. This has been a huge let down and even worse is the devs don't even comment from what I've seen. They are either not paying attention or being pig headed. Maybe it has something to do with the virus and working from home who knows, all I can tell you is that after all my experience is every mount and blade game that this one is the worst so far as of right now. It has been dumbed down, the combat system has been changed for the worst (see: attack delay) and the MP scene is wrecked by this class system nonsense.

BTW someone explain to me the point of "classes" when every class can still do what the others can... what I mean is... everyone can ride horses and shoot bows perfectly... swing two handers just as good as an infantry class..

I don't mind the class system I do see it's flaws, although I do like to have more armor choices. If I wanted to wear armor or not should be done through the classes on each faction. Also more gear variety would be great.

clearly they dont care and instead community managers and whoever else associated with taleworlds are going to be pig headed and fight with their customers and push that their ideas are the best and the community clearly doesnt matter.

bad business...and honestly, i will not support this company any longer if thats how its going to be

"Early access, also known as early funding, alpha-access, alpha founding, or paid-alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can purchase and play a game in the various pre-release development cycles, such as pre-alpha, alpha, and/or beta, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue further development on the game."

"Early access, also known as early funding, alpha-access, alpha founding, or paid-alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can purchase and play a game in the various pre-release development cycles, such as pre-alpha, alpha, and/or beta, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue further development on the game."
That's a cute quote. Doesn't take into account that this is a topic that the developers have explicitly asked our feedback about, and then fully ignored that feedback.

I can't really add much on what others have said before me, but from my standpoint Warband's multiplayer was lightyears ahead of the current excuse of a multiplayer. Which is amazing, really. I've read the 'reasons', if you can call them that, behind the changes but they make little to no sense to me from my experience of the multiplayer.

There is an argument to be made that I and others have been blinded by the many hours* we put into Warband's MP, but then you should also ask yourself why we all put so many hours in? Why would you take a successful formula that worked and, instead of refining and improving it, rip it up to replace it with the current confused mess? It doesn't even have Battle mode, the staple Warband MP game mode! I can only hope that there will be an overhaul and something done because I don't want to play with the current system. It puts me off instantly, whereas Warband had me hooked from the moment I set foot in the MP beta.

As such I will undoubtedly stick with the SP stuff, but I'm really disappointed at how the MP has been gutted rather than built on; I was really keen to play it and now I feel hugely let down.

*More than 1500 personally, probably nearer 2000 inc. between non-Steam & Steam versions.

oh and not to mention, if i can actually get a ****ing game. half the time in a party someone gets timed out and we cant play together. its more frustration than its worth quitting and trying to finally get into a game that works.

As pointed out the MP design is hilariously backwards and twisted. seemingly there has been a huge increase in competitive focus for Bannerlord: tons of manpower and focus on overdesigning things like skirmish, class system, stances (lol)

Meanwhile when you look at changes to the actual fundamentals of combat, they have literally diminished the skill cap of the game to 1/10th of what Warband has.

so what are we left with

no fun community servers
bad competitive gameplay

esport incoming ?

But we have a dedicated 6v6 mode now! No more equipment sharing! That's all you ever wanted, right?
/s, obviously
What’s wrong with sharing equipment with team? Just watch CSGO, many competitive teams do that. If I get some lucky kills and have enough gold to buy a great sword, but I know one player on my team is a better duelist than I am. Of course I would want to drop my greatsword for the better player.

Many of us have just as many, if not more, hours in Warband's MP Callum.
When I visit this forum, the common theme seems to be that any member who has come from a competitive clan, or played extensively, has an intense dislike of the current class system - other issues aside. It beggars belief that TaleWorlds spent time and energy in taking onboard the views of Warband veterans, and then threw it out the window for something 'professional'. I am yet to meet a player who actively enjoys the current set up, and who isn't endorsing a return to the original equipment selection.

There you met him. What an incredible "fantasy" people have. Yea, let's go with the word fantasy. I played Warband MP quite a lot, and learned to love-hate that system quite intensely. On the one hand I loved the idea of it, and when you met some people who weren't notorious elite vets swinging and blocking was actually fun and rewarding and my ego pushed me to beat more and more better guys. On the other hand that horrible loadout system and the feint spamming sucked every piece of motivation and I'd call it "genuine fun" out of the experience. The loadout system was just an invitation to specialize yourself in a way so that your playstyle together with your equipment eliminates any downside and while that is fun against other longtime vets it destroys the experience for new players. They very quickly learn instinctively they don't stand a chance. Wait for custom community-run servers with server-mods and you can battle it out like you want to, up until then let people actually have fun in-game and discuss something else here.

I played Warband MP quite a lot, and learned to love-hate that system quite intensely. On the one hand I loved the idea of it, and when you met some people who weren't notorious elite vets swinging and blocking was actually fun and rewarding and my ego pushed me to beat more and more better guys. On the other hand that horrible loadout system and the feint spamming sucked every piece of motivation and I'd call it "genuine fun" out of the experience. The loadout system was just an invitation to specialize yourself in a way so that your playstyle together with your equipment eliminates any downside and while that is fun against other longtime vets it destroys the experience for new players. They very quickly learn instinctively they don't stand a chance. Wait for custom community-run servers with server-mods and you can battle it out like you want to, up until then let people actually have fun in-game and discuss something else here.

Nobody is stopping you from having fun playing the game, nor stopping other threads from being created. You participate of your own volition.

You also keep bringing up the "new player" argument with the loadouts, as though that hasn't be dismantled a hundred times by now. There were ways of keeping Warband-level customization while making the multiplayer far more accessible for newer players (pre-made/saved loadouts, a recommended loadout button that works, a multiplayer tutorial that explains what things are, etc.). The problem with new players vs vets actually has nothing to do with loadouts whatsoever. You can get a 1h spiked club and go 30/0 in a random deathmatch server in Warband right now. The key problem, then, was not the loadouts (people made the argument that the item selection screen was confusing, and that this premade class system would fix that, but seeing Bannerlord's multiplayer with broader public access has shown me that people can't figure out this system either), but rather that most people don't like being annihilated, and loadout actually doesn't change that whatsoever in pub play because you can literally punch a new player to death while they wield a greatsword, simply by chambering and footwork.
And the problem still persists in Bannerlord, except now outside of Skirmish and Captain's mode: it's worse. Newer players can't get kills in Deathmatch or Siege, so they're stuck with Peasants, can't get any better equipment, Peasant classes are actually programmed into a having slower blocks(if I remember an update changelog correctly?), and they get stuck in a cycle of annihilation. At least in Warband a newer player could get a much better shield and turtle until help arrived when they learned that the better players could destroy them so easily. Now it's just a revolving door into a meatgrinder, and at the same time I can't choose my equipment. Nobody wins.

Nobody is stopping you from having fun playing the game, nor stopping other threads from being created. You participate of your own volition.

You also keep bringing up the "new player" argument with the loadouts, as though that hasn't be dismantled a hundred times by now. There were ways of keeping Warband-level customization while making the multiplayer far more accessible for newer players (pre-made/saved loadouts, a recommended loadout button that works, a multiplayer tutorial that explains what things are, etc.). The problem with new players vs vets actually has nothing to do with loadouts whatsoever. You can get a 1h spiked club and go 30/0 in a random deathmatch server in Warband right now. The key problem, then, was not the loadouts (people made the argument that the item selection screen was confusing, and that this premade class system would fix that, but seeing Bannerlord's multiplayer with broader public access has shown me that people can't figure out this system either), but rather that most people don't like being annihilated, and loadout actually doesn't change that whatsoever in pub play because you can literally punch a new player to death while they wield a greatsword, simply by chambering and footwork.
And the problem still persists in Bannerlord, except now outside of Skirmish and Captain's mode: it's worse. Newer players can't get kills in Deathmatch or Siege, so they're stuck with Peasants, can't get any better equipment, Peasant classes are actually programmed into a having slower blocks(if I remember an update changelog correctly?), and they get stuck in a cycle of annihilation. At least in Warband a newer player could get a much better shield and turtle until help arrived when they learned that the better players could destroy them so easily. Now it's just a revolving door into a meatgrinder, and at the same time I can't choose my equipment. Nobody wins.

You're missing the point of the critique of the loadout system of WB and that is that with that loadout system people who had the time to put considerable effort into this were able to specialize their loadout and optimize it to their playing style to an extent where a new player was just insta-overwhelmed and did in many cases probably not return. I will just always add this here, because it seems to be drowned: Why don't we wait until dedicated servers and server-side mods arrive and we can all agree that all this fighting over this was wasted energy?

You're missing the point of the critique of the loadout system of WB and that is that with that loadout system people who had the time to put considerable effort into this were able to specialize their loadout and optimize it to their playing style to an extent where a new player was just insta-overwhelmed and did in many cases probably not return.
And you're missing my point: the loadout part of your argument is actually totally irrelevant. It didn't/doesn't matter what my loadout is. Newer players will get destroyed if I start with a stick and they start with 10,000 gold. They are turned off, and in some cases; "probably not return" because they're getting destroyed, and would, regardless of anyone's loadout.

Why don't we wait until dedicated servers and server-side mods arrive and we can all agree that all this fighting over this was wasted energy?
I agree. Stop posting then. You're only wasting your own time if you actually think that way. I see something ****ty, I call it ****ty. I see that something has potential, I "waste" my time like I have these last 7 months on this forum if it can be fixed. This problem can be resolved, and I will continue to call it out indefinitely.

And you're missing my point: the loadout part of your argument is actually totally irrelevant. It didn't/doesn't matter what my loadout is. Newer players will get destroyed if I start with a stick and they start with 10,000 gold. They are turned off, and in some cases; "probably not return" because they're getting destroyed, and would, regardless of anyone's loadout.

Yes, but there are definitely multiple shades of grey of being "destroyed". Lacking skill and experience is just one thing, being overwhelmed with option one doesn't fully understand just contributes - sort of "stacks" - as an additional layer above it. That's probably the point where you go from "I definitely need to get better" to "f-ck it, this is nerd stuff" and leave.

I agree. Stop posting then. You're only wasting your own time if you actually think that way. I see something ****ty, I call it ****ty. I see that something has potential, I "waste" my time like I have these last 7 months on this forum if it can be fixed. This problem can be resolved, and I will continue to call it out indefinitely.

So will I about unreasonable calls to redo something that made the prequel have servers up for two handful of dudes only playing in the dark of night.

Last edited:
So will I about unreasonable calls to redo something that made the prequel have servers up for two handful of dudes playing in the dark of night.
Nice imaginary warband. Again, the problem when a new player gets rekt by a pro is not in a class system. You will see the EXACT same situation in every single competitive game if you allow noobs play with pros. 1 hour DOTA player won't be placed in a match with 9k RMM pro-player. The same goes for CS and literally every game with matchmaking. Warband had none.

Still, the servers have become less populated because a lot of players just moved on. In 2010-2012 they were full of players from all over the world. cRPG which allowed a player to make even greater choices in customizations was amazingly popular.

Nice imaginary warband. Again, the problem when a new player gets rekt by a pro is not in a class system. You will see the EXACT same situation in every single competitive game if you allow noobs play with pros.

Yes, and sawing additional confusion through too many options being thrown at the player won't help with that fact

Yes, and sawing additional confusion through too many options being thrown at the player won't help with that fact
Have you even played or seen the games I mentioned? I suppose you would receive a heart attack by the variety of items and heroes if you entered DOTA for a single match. Class system never prevented anyone from learning the game. Lack of RMM and tutorials did. I like how a lot of guys like COMPLEX REALISM in M&B but consider players to be too stupid to decide what they want to buy

Yes, but there are definitely multiple shades of grey of being "destroyed".
Getting shredded by some random default armor guy with a spiked club, when you're carrying a massive axe and wearing armor, is on another level of being destroyed than your example, I think it's fair to say. I'll keep repeating it: equipment selection isn't the problem here.

being overwhelmed with option one doesn't fully understand just contributes - sort of "stacks" - as an additional layer above it.
How does, e.g, a prebuilt loadout system where you press a button that says "anti-cav", and it gives you a loadout from the free selection choices that is better against Cavalry, not resolve this problem? How would a multiplayer tutorial on equipment selection not also resolve this problem? There's several options to use tied to a Warband-esque system that resolves this problem without destroying the player agency for everyone else?

So will I about unreasonable calls to redo something that made the prequel have servers up for two handful of dudes only playing in the dark of night.
This is the biggest strawman I've seen on this forum for a while. I won't even dignify it with a response.

Back
Top Bottom