Which leveling system do you prefer Warband or Bannerlord?

Which has the better leveling system?

• Warband

• Bannerlord

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

The vast majority of NPCs in the game have 150+ in their relevant skills. It doesn't make sense that the player is stuck so much lower than everyone else for such a long time, especially if an "average" soldier trained up by the player apparently picks up swordsmanship at the rate of a prodigy. I sympathize with people who want this to be a "marathon" game but I don't think an incredibly slow grind with the expectation of it taking 50+ hours of playtime to even get to 200 is likely what most people want or think is reasonable..

Something like this- taking 20 hours to get to 100 proficiency (if playing random battles/quests) and then taking another 20 to get to 150 and then another 40 to get to 200 seems about right. 80 hours is at least a few years into a campaign and beyond where MOST players would ever invest into a single campaign and that is only proficiency with a single weapon and a few other skill and still another 80 hours away from MAX proficiency if 300 is the cap.

If you want to sit in the practice Arena for 5 hours of real-time straight and level right up to 150 proficiency- that should be up to the player. Doing that they aren't levelling anything else and theoretically got less return on their time from not travelling the map, gaining loot/money, etc.

Levelling up several weapons would take even longer and in the medieval era trained knights were capable of fighting with many weapons, they were not helpless if their poleaxe got broken and they dropped their sword, they could draw a dagger and wrestle or ward off a blow and pick up a fallen mace.

Also fighting in battles is only one aspect of the game... trading, building influence, running your clan, taking over gang territory/bandit hideouts, making friends and building an efficient army, etc are all different skills that take time to level as well. People who are asking for levelling a single skill to take 50 hours of real-time have no life outside the game obviously because to level the 4-8 skills you need for any character just to the minimum competency level to achieve things in-game would take 200+ hours.

The calculation for skill growth rate based on your attributes & focus points is currently busted (check out this thread for the details).

Growth rates are intended to be WAY higher for skills with focus points and supporting attribute points. This may very well be the root problem for everybody's complaints regarding the skill system and character progression in general. It seems like it would be a very easy fix too.

Something like this- taking 20 hours to get to 100 proficiency (if playing random battles/quests) and then taking another 20 to get to 150 and then another 40 to get to 200 seems about right. 80 hours is at least a few years into a campaign and beyond where MOST players would ever invest into a single campaign and that is only proficiency with a single weapon and a few other skills.

If you want to sit in the practice Arena for 10 hours of real-time straight and level right up to 150- that should be up to the player. Doing that they aren't levelling anything else and theoretically got less return on their time from not travelling the map, gaining loot/money, etc.

Levelling up several weapons would take even longer and in the medieval era trained knights were capable of fighting with many weapons, they were not helpless if their poleaxe got broken and they dropped their sword, they could draw a dagger and wrestle or ward off a blow and pick up a fallen mace.

Also fighting in battles is only one aspect of the game... trading, building influence, running your clan, taking over gang territory/bandit hideouts, making friends and building an efficient army, etc are all different skills that take time to level as well. People who are asking for levelling a single skill to take 50 hours of real-time have no life outside the game obviously because to level the 4-8 skills you need for any character just to the minimum competency level to achieve things in-game would take 200+ hours.

Agreed. The critics of tourney experience/practice all seem to discount that money and experience are just two resources in this game, there's also renown, which is earned at a much higher rate in battles than tournaments by a long shot, and influence. These last two are arguably much more important than money later on as well. There are multiple resource pools, some of which can only be gained doing specific activities, so yeah...you wind up grinding experience, grinding influence, grinding renown, and grinding money.

Something like this- taking 20 hours to get to 100 proficiency (if playing random battles/quests) and then taking another 20 to get to 150 and then another 40 to get to 200 seems about right. 80 hours is at least a few years into a campaign and beyond where MOST players would ever invest into a single campaign and that is only proficiency with a single weapon and a few other skill and still another 80 hours away from MAX proficiency if 300 is the cap.

If you want to sit in the practice Arena for 5 hours of real-time straight and level right up to 150 proficiency- that should be up to the player. Doing that they aren't levelling anything else and theoretically got less return on their time from not travelling the map, gaining loot/money, etc.

Haha at this point I might be better off learning HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) instead of leveling my weapon skills in Bannerlord ?

One of the bigger problems with the levelling system alongside it being too slow in the first place is that the skill requirement for levels raise along the xp requirement for skills.

lol, I was just about to link this.

Didn't check the math myself, but this linked post makes a pretty compelling case showing that it doesn't just "feel" like leveling drops way off after a while, it's actually mathematically impossible to progress, with the higher-end perks unobtainable (even if they work at all anyway, which is a different issue).

Clearly TW is going to have to tweak this system pretty heavily at some (hopefully soon) point.

There were numerous better fixes suggested on the big thread about the arena which would have made it optional, adjustable, given it a time-cost etc. but even just the fact that it would still exist as an option was clearly too much. Obviously the solution is to just nerf it back into the ground for everyone.

Fingers crossed there are bigger changes to levelling incoming with the first big update.

Last edited:
I felt some satisfying progression for the main char when adding 10 in each attribute and 5 focus in each skill. Initial one is a joke. Note that satisfying here does not mean quick and over the top. Couple skills were too fast with this setup, notably Riding, but most of others were ok or even still slow

lol, I was just about to link this.

Didn't check the math myself, but this guy makes a pretty compelling case showing that it doesn't just "feel" like leveling drops way off after a while, it's actually mathematically impossible to progress, with the higher-end perks unobtainable (even if they work at all anyway, which is a different issue).

Clearly TW is going to have to tweak this system pretty heavily at some (hopefully soon) point.

Math checks out - I confirmed in my own game. We are seeing very small fractions of the intended skill growth multiplier based on our attributes and focus points.

I don't particularly think I like it in it's current state. XP is gained crazy slow (Which I guess may be intentional so you don't get too OP). I think more so I don't really like the focus skill point thing, it almost seems kind of redundant to me?

How do you all feel?

I love the general concept that you level up by doing something, not by doing something completely different. In practice... it's way too slow and grindy, I'm personally very much in the camp that opposes literally every single XP nerf at the moment. In addition, it would be nice to not be capped on a specific skill because you haven't achieved a high enough level elsewhere. Personally I want to do a run where I'm essentially a mad berserker who only hires others to just be able to kill more enemies. I want to focus entirely on my combat skills and pretty much totally ignore anything relating to management, the only problem is that I need to level up in general to get the focus points to increase the level cap on my combat skills... but I don't actually gain enough levels through combat alone to make that happen.

I also feel like the actual impacts of extra levels are either almost OP in some cases and completely worthless in others. I can easily get to +50 on my party due to steward, which is also one of the easiest skills to level up, whereas having 120 skill in one-handed gives me... about +14% damage and +7% speed, I believe? That effectively means that I can easily get a massive party... yet in the course of the game's combat progression I have gone from being able to kill looters in 3 hits... to killing looters in an average of like 2.5. Seriously underwhelming.

At first I was confused, but over the 50 hours of playtime I grew more familiar with it. Compared to warband, the perks are a cool addition (in theory at least since not all of them work). One thing I'd like is to have more opportunities to level up a specific skill. The thing I miss from warband though is the trainer skill. Trainer was the nuts.

I think it would be good if it actually worked, but the math in the skill growth multiplier calculation is broken:

The rate of skill growth for skills with focus points and supporting attribute points is currently a small fraction of what it was intended to be.
Based off of how the devs are continuously nerfing ways to gain XP while rarely adding new ones (then normally nerfing those), I doubt that it's working in a way that's unintended, or if it is broken, it's broken in a way that roughly matches the devs' vision.

so were missing actual exp modifiers in their 10xs lol

Based off of how the devs are continuously nerfing ways to gain XP while rarely adding new ones (then normally nerfing those), I doubt that it's working in a way that's unintended, or if it is broken, it's broken in a way that roughly matches the devs' vision.
I think they listen too much to those who cry how it is too easy. Ofc it is not al all. Fix the thing, it doesnt give exp like at all ... goodness.

Back
Top Bottom