About that 65K plate armor.

Users who are viewing this thread

paladinx333

Sergeant at Arms
I saw one set of plate armor last night. It cost some 65K denars. That is almost too rediculous for words. The exponetial curve for armor pricing is just asinine. And here I thought the 35K horse armor was bad.

I saw a bow at 265k yesterday.

You will quickly realise that quickly you will turn from poor to very rich when you start fighting in the big league as a Vassal or other. I am prety happy that some items are very expensive as it keep some goal in the game even in later stages.

3 years into my Aserai Trader game, I could buy one set of 65k denars plate armour per week and I don't even own a fief.
I quite like the prices right now, you can get an adequate armour for a really small sum, it's the end-game gear that's expensive.

Some of the pricing is insane. I realise you eventually reach a point where money is like water, but by that time is the armour even needed?

Yeah I'm with others on here that actually like the high prices. Makes it more challenging and something to work towards AND more realistic to be honest. I finally joined a kingdom just last night for the first time and I had already hit the $35k mark by just fighting bandits and making lucrative trade deals.

The prices still need work. A plate amour is made for a lord, it should be expensive. For example now that i am on day 400+ i have 4.6 mil, but 600 K for armor is a lot, for that money i convinced a big clan to switch sides in a war.?

The crossbows are even more ridiculous priced. I mean are mass produced wepons and are 200 K, really ?
I remembered that a npc requested 10 crossbows for a quest. My faced almost fall off when i saw the price of one.:xf-eek: Needless to say the crossbows were never delivered :xf-smile:.

There should be more items instead on tiers with prices in between!
The 600k armor is ok because you will make that cash when you fight real armies.

The problem is some items are almost the same powerful but very cheap! The weapons the same. And no weapons for 600k. why?

You reach top end gear instantly because there is nothing in between. Too few things to grab.

+1 Good horses and decent armour are waaay too cheap. Weapons I am more mixed about- decent functional weapons were relatively cheap back in the day, getting them all fancified with engraving, gold inlay, precious stones- that increased the price hugely. Most armour takes a huge more amount of labour than a basic sword and feeding, raising, training, and cutting the weak from the herd for a warhorse is also insanely expensive.

For game reasons I am perfectly fine for the highest tier weapons that do the most damage costing 10x as much as a basic weapon but that should be in the 20-40k range most of the time. For 1200s timeframe, a good crossbow was not mass manufactured and was instead still a handcrafted item with several components. Not as much as a horse or good armour but more than a basic arming sword for sure.

One thing we don't see is that weapons rarely break(other than shields) in M&B where that was a fairly common thing in real battles. Weapon tier at the moment do not represent much of anything- having a small break chance for the lower tiers would help as well a greater differentiation in balance/swing speed more than damage given so there is a reason to pay for the 20k sword that has a 102 swing speed but only 2 more damage compared to the 1k sword of similar style with 84 swing speed.

A big part of the reason is simply... weapons are a main source of loot and if they are too expensive then players reap larger rewards for selling the loot. I would prefer loot to be straight cash and resources anyway- the weird grind nature of clicking loot one item at a time to transfer into inventory and then into trade store is just tedious. Having simply random amounts of cash with equivalent values would allow the rest of the economy to function much better without having to worry about loot prices overheating everything as much.

There should be more items instead on tiers with prices in between!
The 600k armor is ok because you will make that cash when you fight real armies.

The problem is some items are almost the same powerful but very cheap! The weapons the same. And no weapons for 600k. why?

You reach top end gear instantly because there is nothing in between. Too few things to grab.

Last edited:
A suit of plate WAS insanels expensive. Because it was also insanely protective.
You should be pretty much immune to arrows and swords.

This.

There was this Knight who lived in the 1500's. Maximillian: The Last Knight. He had some of the most insane suits of full-plate armor, and he just poured crap tons of money into their designs and forward technology. His ambition and hobby of crafting suits of armor basically ran him broke.

Plate mail basically made you invulnerable on the medieval battlefield. Unless you caught snag an arrow or poleaxe in the joints or somewhere, you could take a lot of punishment. Obviously you could still die, but against normal small arms, warfare implements, you were pretty safe.

The catch was, plate mail was expensive. VERY expensive.

I like the idea of having these sorts of in-game equipment being very expensive. Gives you a goal. It's not like you're going to spend the money elsewhere.

I saw one set of plate armor last night. It cost some 65K denars. That is almost too rediculous for words. The exponetial curve for armor pricing is just asinine. And here I thought the 35K horse armor was bad.

I just bought some armor for about 650K

Edit: It is called "Lemellar with Scale Skirt". Gives 48 Body Armor, 22 Leg Armor, and 16 Arm Armor. It sells for 236825, but it cost just over 600k when I bought it.

For that kind of money you could finance your kingdom's armies for years. If I drop 600k on armor I expect to fly around like Ironman when I wear it.
I gained all the money back pretty quickly. Defeating armies gave hundred of thousands of gold. They just nerfed it with the latest patch. Also, it made me essentially immune to those pesky militia archers during sieges.

84XUR

This.

There was this Knight who lived in the 1500's. Maximillian: The Last Knight. He had some of the most insane suits of full-plate armor, and he just poured crap tons of money into their designs and forward technology. His ambition and hobby of crafting suits of armor basically ran him broke.

He was not a knight, he was the Holy Roman Emperor. Those don't go broke from that (he went maybe broke to bribe the prince electors to vote for his grandson as successor). There was a huge jump between nobility and the high aristocracy (Dukes+). They did not buy armor for protection but to flaunt their wealth and prestige. The Royal Armory in Vienna is insane with plate armor in heaps of gold and expensive decorations. I think some Habsburg king inherited a large collection of expensive high aristocracy armor from a cousin.

Henry VIII's armors are in the same vein. They have stuff even good plate armor usually did not waste time on to make the armor even more protective and then increased the price / effort tenfold with decorations, gold etc.

He was not a knight, he was the Holy Roman Emperor. Those don't go broke from that (he went maybe broke to bribe the prince electors to vote for his grandson as successor). There was a huge jump between nobility and the high aristocracy (Dukes+). They did not buy armor for protection but to flaunt their wealth and prestige. The Royal Armory in Vienna is insane with plate armor in heaps of gold and expensive decorations. I think some Habsburg king inherited a large collection of expensive high aristocracy armor from a cousin.

Henry VIII's armors are in the same vein. They have stuff even good plate armor usually did not waste time on to make the armor even more protective and then increased the price / effort tenfold with decorations, gold etc.

Well, he was known as The Last Knight is all I meant.

Thanks for the history lesson, but I wasn't trying to write a wiki about it.

65k ain’t **** when you got almost half a mil. Well I did until it took me too long to do main quest now I have to start over :sad:

Back
Top Bottom