Fiann

Users who are viewing this thread

fiann.png

Please leave all feedback relating to the Battania Fiann in this thread.

They’re too fast, even though they ’re wearing heavy armor.

and there twohand is too long and good

So, when they get close to infantry, they usually run away and hit.

There is a problem that one-handed weapons are kept out of reach and are attacked unilaterally.

Echoing this from a separate post I made in the suggestions board:

I think the Fiann should have an option for a shorter bow, even if it's the same dinky short bow the Ranger has. I've been mostly playing Skirmish, and most of the maps are very closed, making longbows cumbersome and inefficient to use.

They could also be a bit weaker in melee IMO.

For me, there's no reason to go any other class as long as I can choose Fiann in Battania. They're very powerful in regards to both melee and ranged. The bow is mostly two-hit kills on most enemy troops due to its incredible damage and the two-hander is very fast and well-off in terms of damage. If I am to apply a simple left swing feint, it's over for the newer player. I'd see a damage reduction in the "stronger bow" and in the armor of the unit, because there is also no other reason to pick any other perk than strong bow and extra arrows at the moment.

As flav says, no point in taking anything but strong bow and strong arrows, the default gear is too good. I would make the default sword a bastard sword, and the "falx" perk the 2 handed sword it currently gets as default.

Echoing this from a separate post I made in the suggestions board:

I think the Fiann should have an option for a shorter bow, even if it's the same dinky short bow the Ranger has. I've been mostly playing Skirmish, and most of the maps are very closed, making longbows cumbersome and inefficient to use.

They could also be a bit weaker in melee IMO.

And to kill 2 birds with one stone, give them an option for a FAST bow not a strong bow.

As flav says, no point in taking anything but strong bow and strong arrows, the default gear is too good. I would make the default sword a bastard sword, and the "falx" perk the 2 handed sword it currently gets as default.

And to kill 2 birds with one stone, give them an option for a FAST bow not a strong bow.
i would give them a ls by default, idk why they should be heavy shock inf from the get go without any drawbacks

I think the Fiann would look amazing if the cape used with the default armor was replaced with the new Highland Mail Shoulder armor that was added in 1.5. You could go even further and replace the armor with the new Highland Mail Shirt entirely. The current armor looks like something a forest bandit would wear instead of a noble.

Still love the look of the improved armor Fiann.

Last edited:
Fianns are the probably worst heavy archer class in captain at the moment, and there's a few reasons for that. First of all, while Fianns are great at long range archery, they rarely get to use that skill with the lack of manual targeting of units, and on count of the maps being too small to utilize that. Besides that, there is a problem that relates to this: They do not have short bows. The long bow has great accuracy and better damage than short bows, but the draw time is just too long, and fire rate too slow. The units are shoot too slowly to make a real difference in most situations, and the arrows they do manage to shoot don't do enough damage in relation to other archer classes, which leads it to losing basically against any other heavy archer unit, and most light archer units at close range (pre 1.5). The 2h swords they use also don't deal with melee units even half as well as the palatines menavlion or khans glaive.

Fianns are the probably worst heavy archer class in captain at the moment, and there's a few reasons for that. First of all, while Fianns are great at long range archery, they rarely get to use that skill with the lack of manual targeting of units, and on count of the maps being too small to utilize that. Besides that, there is a problem that relates to this: They do not have short bows. The long bow has great accuracy and better damage than short bows, but the draw time is just too long, and fire rate too slow. The units are shoot too slowly to make a real difference in most situations, and the arrows they do manage to shoot don't do enough damage in relation to other archer classes, which leads it to losing basically against any other heavy archer unit, and most light archer units at close range (pre 1.5). The 2h swords they use also don't deal with melee units even half as well as the palatines menavlion or khans glaive.
+1. Also find that Rangers with the longbow perk and extra arrows do their job far better as they have 15 men where as Fiann only has 9 men as far as I know. So they're putting out roughly 150% more firepower with the same longbows. Rangers basic hand axe is better than the upgraded counterparts in my experience and the longbow is too strong to pass up on. I think rangers would beat Fianns in melee since Fianns have few men and they have weapons that are suited for duels, not big infantry fights.

TLDR: Fianns in my opinion are neither good enough in melee or range to be worth picking. Could be improved with more men per retinue (11 maybe?)

The customization of the Fianns currently doesn't work. When selecting anything but the "Improved Armor" perk, you have many 3 options for helmets andd 2 options for the chest armor. When picking the "Improved Armor" perk, you are forced to wear one helmet and one chest piece.

I can only assume this is a mistake, since the same does not apply for other classes that have an "Improved Armor" perk. The only change they experience is that they get shoulderpads/cape/... but they are still capable of using cosmetic items for the head and chest.

QjDXWd8.jpg
PZkPtDV.jpg
rkKJe9x.jpg
BvoYT1I.jpg

Although I don't have screenshots of the gloves, this bug also applies to the Fiann's gloves.

The customization of the Fianns currently doesn't work. When selecting anything but the "Improved Armor" perk, you have many 3 options for helmets andd 2 options for the chest armor. When picking the "Improved Armor" perk, you are forced to wear one helmet and one chest piece.

I can only assume this is a mistake, since the same does not apply for other classes that have an "Improved Armor" perk. The only change they experience is that they get shoulderpads/cape/... but they are still capable of using cosmetic items for the head and chest.

QjDXWd8.jpg
PZkPtDV.jpg
rkKJe9x.jpg
BvoYT1I.jpg

Although I don't have screenshots of the gloves, this bug also applies to the Fiann's gloves.
Yeah, there's definitely something going on there. I also find it strange that there is a bronze scale armor for the ranger and not for the Fiann.

Back
Top Bottom