MP Bastard swords are clumsy to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Noudelle

Grandmaster Knight

In Bannerlord, bastard swords don't 2-hand automatically when you don't have a shield. You have to manually press a button to switch between 2-hand and 1-hand.
This makes bastard swords very unwieldy to use, and I personally avoid using them at all due to how slow this action is to perform in the heat of combat.

There are two things that could be done to fix this.
- Pressing X while having a shield equipped puts away the shield and immediately switches 2-handing at the same time.
OR/AND
- Putting away your shield automatically switches to 2-handing, while removing the option to 1-hand bastard weapons entirely if not holding a shield.

Please fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the first idea. If I recall correctly, there is a One Handed skill perk that gives a bonus for using a one handed weapon without a shield, so I think the first option is better.
Just want to add that animations are sometimes a bit odd, with many bastard swords being gripped on the lower half of the handle, which would make it extremely unwieldy to use. I have seen this with all the ones I have crafted, but I haven't used a pre-exisiting one yet.
1001CD80B42BD067C6A997E8AF65E686D415EDC0

I really like the first idea. If I recall correctly, there is a One Handed skill perk that gives a bonus for using a one handed weapon without a shield, so I think the first option is better.
Just want to add that animations are sometimes a bit odd, with many bastard swords being gripped on the lower half of the handle, which would make it extremely unwieldy to use. I have seen this with all the ones I have crafted, but I haven't used a pre-exisiting one yet.
1001CD80B42BD067C6A997E8AF65E686D415EDC0
Sword grips are configured in really weird ways. As all melee weapons use the same system, it doesn't matter if it was self- or premade, the problem is that the hand placement is determined by the grip, and many grips have totally messed up stats. Personally, I think it would be much better if the right hand's location was determined by the guard so that it's consistently right under it, where it looks best.
On two handed swords, the left hand's placement should be based on the pommel. Depending on the exact type, you'd either hold the pommel, or the grip just above.

Anyway, here's a character of mine holding his sword with two fingers over the guard. He clearly thinks he's a 17th century Spaniard.
LSiGJ1X.jpg

Speaking for the one in my picture, that sword has the Bottleneck Fine Steel Two Handed Grip. Other swords I have seen with it also have a grip that is wider in the middle than at either end, but I don't know if it is a problem exclusive to those grips. I will be testing some out to see if I can find some exact ones.
As for Scarf Ace's, it looks like it might be a Hide handle when i zoom in really close, but nothing conclusive.

What is the weapon on this picture?
The weapon in my screenshot is custom. The grip which is causing the bugged holding pose is this one:
CYIcp4D.jpg

When in the editor, you can see the sword move downwards in the direction of the pommel when you select this grip. In fact, seeing how the weapon moves when selecting a grip gives you an estimation on how it'll be held by characters.

Last edited:
Will you quit ending your opinion posts with "Please fix."? There's nothing to fix. Bastard swords were preferred as one-handers by knights on horseback a secondaries. That'd be why it's a toggle. ****'s sake, not every personal quip you have needs to be "fixed."

I was hoping you were, because I don't see any human being lowering themselves to such a level where they have to attack someone over a feedback suggestion.

You clearly missed my introduction. By the way, attacking methods and positions isn't attacking a person. I don't know Noudelle personally, I've got no reason to attack him. But his posting methods annoy the **** out of me and aren't always a plus for the feedback process. They're an obnoxious way of crying wolf.

Will you quit ending your opinion posts with "Please fix."? There's nothing to fix. Bastard swords were preferred as one-handers by knights on horseback a secondaries. That'd be why it's a toggle. ****'s sake, not every personal quip you have needs to be "fixed."

There is no reason for the weapon not to switch automatically to 2h after you remove the shield though. That's what needs to be added/fixed. Seems pretty reasonably to me.

There is no reason for the weapon not to switch automatically to 2h after you remove the shield though. That's what needs to be added/fixed. Seems pretty reasonably to me.

If you're on horseback there is. Visually, at least. If you ask me, they could stand to add some mechanics for mount control reduction when you take your hands off the reins.

If you're on horseback there is. Visually, at least. If you ask me, they could stand to add some mechanics for mount control reduction when you take your hands off the reins.

Would a system in which while being infantry, the weapon swaps to two-handed and while being on horseback, it remains one-handed be more reasonable to you?

I was hoping you were, because I don't see any reasonable human being lowering themselves to such a level where they have to attack someone over a feedback suggestion.

I congratulate you to that fine sentence. I couldn't agree more.

You basically ripped off his tiny balls and dismantled his entire tough acting show.

Back
Top Bottom