Legionary

Users who are viewing this thread

legionary.png

Please leave all feedback relating to the Empire Legionary in this thread.

I love them, but I believe they should wear the Wicker squared shield, it'd would remember more the roman legionnaries, since their hisotry are based on. They're very strong and can handle well in a fight

I think that legionaries should be more expensive, they are easily the best all around infantry class. The fact that you can double spawn first round as legionary is why Empire wins so often.

I love them, but I believe they should wear the Wicker squared shield, it'd would remember more the roman legionnaries, since their hisotry are based on. They're very strong and can handle well in a fight
Its based on Byzantine Skutatoi from the 10th century, not classical roman legionaries.

I think it’s balanced to let them be strong in infantry combat but don’t let them get spears to counter cav. That being said I think a 10g increase is fair.

Since very little has changed since my post in the beta board I'm going to paste most of what I said about this class in there:

I'm still not a fan of the cost reduction this and many other classes got in one of the late beta patches, this class, along with the sergeant, the oathsworn and the varyag used to cost 150g and I think it should go back to that value.

I think the spatha (default sword) is overall a decent weapon, it has good speed and damage values but might be a bit too short when compared with similar weapons, making it slightly longer or replacing it with the long spatha might be worth considering.

As for the perks, the perk mace is pretty slow and its length also makes it a bit unreliable when up close, but it still can come in useful in certain situations. The shield perk is just worthless, while the default one is on the heavier side when it comes to infantry shields and slows down a class that is already slower than similar units, it is a pretty reliable shield, this perk offers little difference in terms of protection and simply can't compete with the improved armor option.

In the second row of perks, the spear and the pila are fine, but the axe is a bit problematic: while it is by far the best one-handed axe in the game, it also leaves you with two melee weapons and just doesn't offer the utility the other perks do. In my opinion this perk should be moved to the first row so that it competes with the mace and the improved armor, it should be a solid pick when axes inevitably become stronger in the future.

The way the pila perk works has changed a bit since the beta, it now occupies two item slots and is on melee mode by default, I honestly can't see the reasoning behind this change and think that it should be changed back to how it worked in the beta (throwing mode by default and both pila sharing a quiver occupying only 1 slot).

Also in my opinion the helmet should change when choosing the improved armor perk.

I think that legionaries should be more expensive, they are easily the best all around infantry class. The fact that you can double spawn first round as legionary is why Empire wins so often.
I don't see how this class is overall any better than the sergeant or the varyag, in that regard I'd say it's in a fairly balanced spot.

I think it’s balanced to let them be strong in infantry combat but don’t let them get spears to counter cav. That being said I think a 10g increase is fair.
That's really not a good idea, removing this class' access to spears would pretty much ruin it and very likely doom the whole faction in terms of balance since the other anti-cav alternatives available (recruit with spear and menavlion infantry) are very vulnerable to ranged attacks and thus, unreliable.

Instead of lighter shield give the class a perk that increases its movement speed. Its easier to understand for newer players.

EDIT: better edit the movement speed UI, the unit might need a bit lighter default shield (4 for heavy shield, and 2 for light shield) atm you cant play mace because its straight out too slow against backpeddlers

Last edited:
I really enjoy the axe being put on the first perks slot, thanks to that all the first 3 perks def give a lot of flexibility to the class and players can pick what they want based on their playstyle and also the enemy's faction. I really am not a fan of the class system but i'd say that if you are capable of making all the perks as viable as the ones on the legionary then it won't be the end of the world.
I must say though i am not a fan of the spear they have on secondary, it's very slow and doesn't deal as much damage as the pila in spear mode so players tend to not use it.So if you can make some changes to that spear, then i would say it could potentially be a rival to the pila which right now is a must for this class.

Currently spatha is a meme and unusable sword, so I suggest replacing it with either long spatha from courser or paramerion from cataphract which both actually does fit into "usefull" sword category.
Spatha
unknown.png
Long Spatha
unknown.png
Paramerion
unknown.png
Vlandia sword for comparisson
unknown.png

I really enjoy the axe being put on the first perks slot, thanks to that all the first 3 perks def give a lot of flexibility to the class and players can pick what they want based on their playstyle and also the enemy's faction. I really am not a fan of the class system but i'd say that if you are capable of making all the perks as viable as the ones on the legionary then it won't be the end of the world.
Of course you had to change it and put it on second perk again?
You can now instead use a very viable bastard sword... said no one ever.
I don't think i've ever seen anyone use that bastard sword in a match, i am really curious to see the numbers of times someone picked that compared to the other 2.

You decided to have Empire, Vlandia, Battania and Sturgia with the same choices on the first perk, quite boring especially since the bastard one isn't really used(but hey no one is playing heavy infantry anymore T.T).

It honestly bothers me thinking that you believe sacrificing a spear for an axe is okay. Please, re-think and renew the perk slot selection because right now is not good for all classes. I get that you might implement a third perk slot, but if you can't do the small things right, you will never do the big things right.

Currently spatha is a meme and unusable sword, so I suggest replacing it with either long spatha from courser or paramerion from cataphract which both actually does fit into "usefull" sword category.
Spatha
unknown.png
Long Spatha
unknown.png
Paramerion
unknown.png
Vlandia sword for comparisson
unknown.png
As Hairless wrote, spatha is quite trash against anyone who isn't naked + it has the range of a toothpick.
Give that a check please.

legionary.png

Please leave all feedback relating to the Empire Legionary in this thread.
Hi there,

First of all I must say they are my favourite faction and i very much like their eliteness (as a faction) and i fully respect how you decided to depict them in the game. Usually i am totally fine with all other units, but with that particular... it is different.

I see certain similarities to late eastern romans armies, but it does not look like typical infantry unit and certain parts of its armour would normally be suitable for cavalry/palace guard rather than for line infantry eg.:
- helmet of the cavalryman
- lamellar relatievely light armour of the cathaphractoi (both in shown in te pictures)
NmZ7C.jpg

- guardsman/militia/palace guard withe the "leaf shaped shield" (EDIT: not handy enough to be taken into the battlefield)

EOK4g.jpg

pCU4I.jpg

So all in all i find them esthetically pleasing but not fitting the picture for "core of the imperial legion" force. Not because they aren't fitting the "byzantine lore" but certain parts of their armor would never fit into any regular line infantry (chainmail or lesser armour, round or square shields, brute look e.g. guy next to cavalry on the picture below ). They very much look like footed cavalryman / cathaphractoi to me, nobles... I also find troops called "Legionary" as quite regular troop ...Tier 3 max 4 but not as elite as 5 would suggest.

fafQg.jpg

I still think you can do whatever you like, so don't get me wrong it is not a whine. I am just a little bit not convinced with the look :wink:.

Peace

Il add my voice to the people asking for the long Spatha. Compared to other factions you lack both speed and reach which that 1 weapon swap would solve.

That and the fact that the Legionary has no Pila would be my only complaints about the class though. The Pila is kind of the staple of Imperial infantry (at least in single player) so im not really getting why its missing?

Il add my voice to the people asking for the long Spatha. Compared to other factions you lack both speed and reach which that 1 weapon swap would solve.

That and the fact that the Legionary has no Pila would be my only complaints about the class though. The Pila is kind of the staple of Imperial infantry (at least in single player) so im not really getting why its missing?
Because TW listened to skirmish mode players about overpowered Pilas at Legioners back then, and they decided... To give them to recruits instead, doubling their amount on battlefield...

TW: Heavy Infantry can't have throwing spears, they're too powerful! *gives Pila to EVERYONE ELSE*
Also TW: *Nerfs Throwing Spears into the dirt*
Spear Infantry: *looks confused while still having his throwing spear the entire time and simultaneously being one of the best hvy inf in the game*

Legions need their Double Pila loadout back. It is iconic, it is cool as hell, and it is fun. The lowered stats are just fine for Light Pila.

Perfectly, Pila can no longer be thrown back after having struck an enemy or shield. (Little bizarre it is all throwing spears, but I'll take it.)
Less perfectly, Pila do not do enough damage to shields. (Should have the "Increased Damage to Shields" flag, TW keeps adding this and then nerfing it before it even gets to Main/Stable)
A Double-Pila perk for Legions would turn them into Anti-Shield heavy infantry. Imagine the tactics we could evolve in Captain, closing to loose Pila volleys and pulling back to let the archers pepper the now shieldless formations, or letting your Menavalions charge in to rip up the less-protected enemy.
The command decision on when to loose your spears or when to keep them to defend your allies against cavalry was a SPECTACULAR piece of design. Having 2 Pila made it even better, because now it is so tempting to throw both volleys but it will leave you open to charges. Enemy Skirmishers would try to lure you into loosing the pila while they harass you, setting you up for a Shock infantry charge you could no longer repel.

Damn I miss early Bannerlord captain.

Empire is flavored as a "combined arms" faction, but they don't actually play that way at all. You just take Mace Legion and hold W.

Personally, I wonder if Legionary could benefit from having the Vlandian Bastard Sword given to him again. With the game's current balancing, you'll often be discouraged from picking any of the heavy units, and the Legionary doesn't really have anything in his arsenal to make people think that his weapons are worth gambling with a "ragequit if you die as this unit" downside.
Spear Infantry: *looks confused while still having his throwing spear the entire time and simultaneously being one of the best hvy inf in the game*
Technically, Spear Infantry's a medium, having less armor than actual heavies, while still being more durable than most peasants even with Improved Armor. The only other medium infantry in the game besides Spear Infantry is the Wildling, which is also the Battanian Skirmisher.

Back
Top Bottom