Bannerlord & Linux Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

My experience so far:

After downloading the game it managed to start the splash screen once. After that, pressing play would't even start the game.

Following a tip LeChat, who told me about this thread, I have downloaded the archive from YellowApple and extracted it where instructed. The directory compatibilitytools.d didn't exist, so I created it before extracting.

Even after selecting 'proton_5.0-local' in the combo, tThe game still wouldn't start.

After reading a bit more, I upgraded nvidia's drivers to 440 and renamed Bannerlord.exe.

Now the game starts but I'm stuck on the calibration screen. I don't even know where to look for any applicable logs.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in some direction.

EDIT:

Disregard that post, after a 2nd attempt I passed the brightness calibration. I checked that I had 'proton_5.0-local' in the combo, I had, and still re-selected it anyways.

EDIT 2:

3rd launch, the mouseclick don't work
4th launch, they work again. weird.

Last edited:
Now the game starts but I'm stuck on the calibration screen. I don't even know where to look for any applicable logs.

At the first start with the new Proton build i got the same issue. I forced to end the game and tried a second time. Then the mouse was working.
You can also add the folowning parameter at "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS"

PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

After starting the game, there should be a log file in your Home directory.

steam-261550.log

@sylvecorne / @Grohan2k: At least one person on the GitHub thread mentioned that having a global Proton version set (i.e. Steam → Settings → Steam Play → Enable Steam Play for all other titles) seems to get in the way of setting it on a per-game basis (and thus would e.g. override the use of a custom Proton build, be it mine, one you built yourself, etc.). I haven't tested that yet since it hasn't impacted me (since I leave that option unchecked and stick with per-game Proton versions exclusively), but it'd be interesting to see if disabling that resolves any "works every other launch" issues.

it is working smoothly for me – almost. There is some heavy stuttering on the global map, making the game almost unplayable.

Other than that turning on the vsync and setting the graphic details to highest prevents the sudden FPS drops for me (outside the global map obviously).

@sylvecorne / @Grohan2k: At least one person on the GitHub thread mentioned that having a global Proton version set (i.e. Steam → Settings → Steam Play → Enable Steam Play for all other titles) seems to get in the way of setting it on a per-game basis (and thus would e.g. override the use of a custom Proton build, be it mine, one you built yourself, etc.). I haven't tested that yet since it hasn't impacted me (since I leave that option unchecked and stick with per-game Proton versions exclusively), but it'd be interesting to see if disabling that resolves any "works every other launch" issues.

It is (and was) unchecked for me as well.

Now on patch 1.0.4. 5th launch, click doesn't work. 6th launch, works.

Using YellowApple's custom proton build (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3706) and nothing else, I'm able to get a good stable 45-60 FPS in both the overworld and battles. Only drawback is it takes a good 3-7 minutes (no exaggeration) to save my game. I really hope the devs figure out a way to make the game play well with linux. Game is great so far, but those save/load times are KILLING me.

I'm on Ubuntu 19.10
CPU is Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU is Radeon RX 580

Edit: formatting

Last edited:
Using YellowApple's custom proton build (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3706) and nothing else, I'm able to get a good stable 45-60 FPS in both the overworld and battles. Only drawback is it takes a good 3-7 minutes (no exaggeration) to save my game. I really hope the devs figure out a way to make the game play well with linux. Game is great so far, but those save/load times are KILLING me.

I'm on Ubuntu 19.10
CPU is Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU is Radeon RX 580

Edit: formatting
If you are up for it, I was able to fix that issue using this method here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3706#issuecomment-608470661. It involves building your own proton using proton-tkg, and installing a few additional packages. I have the same specs as you (Ryzen 2600, RX 580, 8GB RAM) on Manjaro and saving now only takes 3 seconds, and I'm still getting 45-60 fps on overworld and battles.

If you are up for it, I was able to fix that issue using this method here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3706#issuecomment-608470661. It involves building your own proton using proton-tkg, and installing a few additional packages. I have the same specs as you (Ryzen 2600, RX 580, 8GB RAM) on Manjaro and saving now only takes 3 seconds, and I'm still getting 45-60 fps on overworld and battles.

Hell yeah bro. I'll look into it. Last night I installed dotnet48 with protontricks and it made my game REALLY unstable. It'd be smooth 60fps, then I'd save (which took 5 seconds, so that's good), but after the save it'd run at 20fps with significant stutter on top, and crash randomly.

Last night I installed dotnet48 with protontricks and it made my game REALLY unstable.

It was to me too. I saw in the post from Metal079 at https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3706 that he installed vcrun2015 and vcrun2017.
I tried too but I was not able to install these, so I tried to install vcrun2019 instead.

Yesterday i played 6 hours straight with no random crash. It is now a bit stuttering at the campaing, but saves are quick and game is stable.

Bannerlord bugfixes are now in the latest (pre-)release of GloriousEggroll's Proton build, so y'all can now rely on quasi-official builds instead of trusting my build to not drink from your skulls or eat your livers, lol

SsrS37b.png

Bannerlord bugfixes are now in the latest (pre-)release of GloriousEggroll's Proton build, so y'all can now rely on quasi-official builds instead of trusting my build to not drink from your skulls or eat your livers, lol

Hey guys.

You proton devs have been ****ing killing it lately. Big thanks to you guys.

I just installed this. Here's the quick and dirty of what I did, as well as the results I got.

>installed GE's proton build
>booted the game up, saving still takes forever at this point
>protontricks 261550 annihilate (this removes everything installed other than the game itself and proton, basically clean slate)
>protontricks 261550 vcrun2019
>protontricks 261550 dotnet48

Almost like magic. I'm about 15 minutes in so far, and it's very good. FPS is stable, no crashes yet, and saving takes maybe 2-4 seconds down from 60 seconds.

Edit: After about 4 hours of playing with this setup, I seem to have isolated when it crashes. It has a high chance of crashing when dealing with your party screen, dungeon, fief management and similar menus. I haven't experienced a crash in the overworld or during a fight, only when managing my prisoners/fiefs/clan.

Specs:
Ubuntu 19.10
Ryzen 5 2600x
Radeon RX 580

Last edited:
Edit: After about 4 hours of playing with this setup, I seem to have isolated when it crashes. It has a high chance of crashing when dealing with your party screen, dungeon, fief management and similar menus. I haven't experienced a crash in the overworld or during a fight, only when managing my prisoners/fiefs/clan.
Yeah, I think at this point the remaining bugs are the same ones Windows users are encountering, which I gotta say is a pleasant surprise when we're only a week into Harvesting Season™.

>protontricks 261550 annihilate (this removes everything installed other than the game itself and proton, basically clean slate)

What context do you run protontricks? While in the ~./steam/root/comaptibilitytools.d folder?

>installed GE's proton build
>booted the game up, saving still takes forever at this point

Interesting thing – https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/installing-missing-necessary-dependencies.407126/ lists dotnet 4.7 as a dependency, not 4.8 one. Maybe this is a cause of many stability problems?

Yeah, a couple of us confirmed that "protontricks 261550 dotnet472" is enough to fix both the long save times and the stuttering. So that should simplify things a bit.

I've "installed" the proton-ge with dotnet72 on top – it is working nice and smooth without any stuttering… but crashing every 5-10 minutes.

Indeed it is, unfortunately.

Version 1.1.0 is apparently in the pipeline; if we're lucky it'll improve things (whether for the dotnet472 approach or for going without). I'd like to have no crashes and fast saves one of these days, lol.

Back
Top Bottom