SP - General Smithing Needs Refining

Users who are viewing this thread

Lochwork

Recruit
So I made a mistake... I put focus points into smithing. I thought "Oh, it would be cool to design my own sword and use it, maybe sell some to make money..." No, turns out smithing is just staring at a screen, hitting the random button until the right combo comes up, hitting forge, then smelting it back down until you have to rest and do it again. Then there's the unlocking system. I've hit lvl 65ish smithing and I have unlocked a lot of pommels but no new blades. So I can never make a useful weapon. Let's just say that I'm frustrated that I spent any points on smithing. I'm sure that one day it will be cool to make whatever weapon I want but until then its just so dreadfully slow. It's a chore not a game. At this point you might as well put a slider on that lets you spend resources and gold to level up smithing instead of having us go through the tedium of forging, smelting, and resting.

I can think of two things to improve the system

1. In general, increase the pace of leveling.
2. Add recipes to stores where you can buy specific blueprints. Maybe even add quests to find certain blueprints. Go to a village and get the quest "find family heirloom" and at the end you get a blueprint to the weapon that you find for the quest giver.

I think removing the requires sleeping in town, and allow it to go at least at 1/2 rest speed when traveling the world map.

So I made a mistake... I put focus points into smithing. I thought "Oh, it would be cool to design my own sword and use it, maybe sell some to make money..." No, turns out smithing is just staring at a screen, hitting the random button until the right combo comes up, hitting forge, then smelting it back down until you have to rest and do it again. Then there's the unlocking system. I've hit lvl 65ish smithing and I have unlocked a lot of pommels but no new blades. So I can never make a useful weapon. Let's just say that I'm frustrated that I spent any points on smithing. I'm sure that one day it will be cool to make whatever weapon I want but until then its just so dreadfully slow. It's a chore not a game. At this point you might as well put a slider on that lets you spend resources and gold to level up smithing instead of having us go through the tedium of forging, smelting, and resting.

I can think of two things to improve the system

1. In general, increase the pace of leveling.
2. Add recipes to stores where you can buy specific blueprints. Maybe even add quests to find certain blueprints. Go to a village and get the quest "find family heirloom" and at the end you get a blueprint to the weapon that you find for the quest giver.
You get new weapon parts when you smelt corresponding weapons.

I agree that smithing needs some rework.

I understand the need to rest, but the rest timer should run when you're off doing other things, not just resting in town.

Also, the completely random nature of the unlock system makes no sense.

Finally, the smithing perks could use some rework as well. I'm unable to refine steel at all because I chose the wrong perk.

Back
Top Bottom