SP - General Campaign: XP in Arena/Tournament

Users who are viewing this thread

Right now it seems like you can only gain experience in combat skills in lethal combat, which makes zero sense. If you were an actual medieval dude and wanted to see if you could make it as a mercenary, would you practice a bit with a stick first, or would you launch yourself directly into an actual battle without even practicing your swings? No you'd swing your stick around. And you'd get better by doing it.

In Warband, you got a greatly reduced amount of XP in arena/tournament/training grounds, and other non-lethal combats. I believe it was 10%. This was a good rate, and I think you should get the same in bannerlord.

LeyJo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They should do all of the following, to allow leveling via practice fights without it becoming a free resource to be farmed infinitely:
  • Grant XP
  • Allow you to choose your weaponry
  • Cause 1/3 damage to your real HP (ie. taking 60 points of practice damage would cause 20 points of real damage afterwards). So if you're getting demolished over and over eventually you'll need to rest and recover.
  • Time elapses during/between fights, or have a limit to how many practice fights take place per day.

They should do all of the following, to allow leveling via practice fights without it becoming a free resource to be farmed infinitely:
  • Grant XP
  • Allow you to choose your weaponry
  • Cause 1/3 damage to your real HP (ie. taking 60 points of practice damage would cause 20 points of real damage afterwards). So if you're getting demolished over and over eventually you'll need to rest and recover.
  • Time elapses during/between fights, or have a limit to how many practice fights take place per day.
I disagree with limiting practice fights. In warband, they were absolutely NOT a source of infinite XP, you gained skills very slowly and it's even harder to level up skills in this game. Besides, going up against 20+ people, most of the time you will get knocked out, so if you lose 1/3 health everytime you can only fight 3 times and then have to rest for like 2 days. Practice fights are not a great source of leveling and they shouldn't be limited.

I disagree with limiting practice fights. In warband, they were absolutely NOT a source of infinite XP, you gained skills very slowly and it's even harder to level up skills in this game. Besides, going up against 20+ people, most of the time you will get knocked out, so if you lose 1/3 health everytime you can only fight 3 times and then have to rest for like 2 days. Practice fights are not a great source of leveling and they shouldn't be limited.

Perhaps lower the residual damage. But it seems strange being able to get knocked out 50 times, raking in 250 denars for every win, with no consequence of time, quest expiration, money, food, or damage - and then go join a real battle at full health against some raiders who sat frozen in the same spot for hours or days while you froze time. Even if you flawlessly won every fight unscathed you would be exhausted.

They don't want you smithing infinitely so it seems consistent to also limit how many hours can be spent in physical training. I take issue with how long leveling takes but they should fix that XP scaling so it is less tedious. Perhaps instead of having a unique Smithing stamina, training would also lower it.

+1 It will be more realistic. It's doesn't matter where you fighting - on the arena or in the field. You will gain battle exp in both ways. Give us this oportunity plz!

I was annoyed by this at first as well, but after ~50 tourneys and 20 hours in the game I think the change is in line with the rework of skills. I have less than 50 in any weapon skill and I absolutely destroy people just by having good equipment. Even with 4 in Crossbows they are pinpoint accurate in tourneys.

I was annoyed by this at first as well, but after ~50 tourneys and 20 hours in the game I think the change is in line with the rework of skills. I have less than 50 in any weapon skill and I absolutely destroy people just by having good equipment. Even with 4 in Crossbows they are pinpoint accurate in tourneys.
The thing is, the slow ass leveling of skills is bad because it means you get PERKS really slowly too. Also, skills like Charm and Smithing have to be high or else you're at a disadvantage, but it is hard af to level them. If you don't high charm in some factions you lose 1 influence per day, and that really messes you up.

Was Warband actually an XP penalty? I thought it was just the special arena only units ("Veteran Fighter") having low XP reward rather than a strict penalty.

Still, I absolutely support restoring XP gain for practice.

The tournaments are too easy, way too easy.

I don't really see a problem with them giving normal experience, it's so slow to level all skills anyway. If you want to sit and grind weapon skills for 10 hours then why not. I find it frustrating that you can hire a companion with 150 weapon skills when I haven't gotten any above 100 in 25 hours of gameplay.

On a side note, I think if people want to 'Train' they should be able to go to a trainer like in the tutorial and practice. This would be the BEST way to get skill ups.
The Arena should be a place to practice those skills and gain money still getting xp but at a reduced rate.
I also however, think they need to remove the randomly joining fighters from the area. We can have massive scale battles and tournaments. Why not have 'Mock tournaments' where their is no prize to win at the end like a horse or weapon or anything. But you gain some coin for every tier you complete and if you win then you get your 250.
Doing this helps people practice for the tournaments also.

NOTE: If your wrecking face in tournaments, chances are you set your difficulty to easy or your just sitting in some of the best armor you can buy. But I think its more the first of the two for most people.

Back
Top Bottom