Users who are viewing this thread

Suppose I am looking for a companion with a specific skill set. As of now, I have to go from tavern to tavern hoping to find one that matches my needs. This is a long and boring process. Sometimes, there are no companions with the skills I want and I have to settle for a companion that has the potential to become what I need in the distant future. Unfortunately, the companions I find are often so high in level that it takes them forever to acquire new points and specialize in the way I need.

I think it would add a great deal to the game if players were able to generate their own loyal companions in the same way as they generate their main character. These generated companions should start at level 1, which would allow them to rapidly level up and specialize in the direction the player wants. Not only would this eliminate the tedium of searching for the right companion, but it would also add a whole new level of enjoyment to the game for people who want to bring their favorite fictional characters into the game with them.

As for how this could be incorporated into the game, I think it could be done through events and/or quests. For example, imagine you see a group of villagers being attacked by looters. Your party swoops in and saves the villagers. After this event, you see the following dialogue.

"A young peasant approaches you. Their parents slain by the bandits, they have nowhere to go. They are forever thankful to you, not only because you saved them, but also because you avenged their fallen family. They want to join your party."

[Choice] Accept (Generate Companion)
[Choice] Decline

If you accept, you get a young and inexperienced companion that you can shape in the way you want.

LeyJo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope developers will implement this. Meanwhile we can help our selfs:
1. Schoulayer check this video. It's great it helped me a lot.
2. I think we can edit companios by our selfs.
..\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\SandBox\ModuleData\companions.xml
<!-- Professional soldier: Perk, bonus to training of infantry -->
<NPCCharacter id="companion_1" name="{=7UkzXWTQ}Osarios" voice="curt" culture="Culture.empire" is_female="false" civilianTemplate="NPCCharacter.npc_armed_wanderer_equipment_template_empire" default_group="Infantry" is_hero="true" is_companion="true" occupation="Companion">
<face>
<!--face_key value="0019752fc0fc3000674216a876c867576aa455a9a5db6599872c454666c4591200058a9469458567000000000000000000000000000000000000000000008000" /-->
<BodyProperties version="4" key="0016740FC0FC3000674216A876C767576AA455A9A5DB6599872C454666C4591200087A9708458567000000000000000000000000000000000000000000C88000" />
</face>
<Components>
<Companion id="companion_comp_1" />
</Components>
<skills>
<skill id="OneHanded" value="65" />
<skill id="TwoHanded" value="50" />
<skill id="Polearm" value="65" />
<skill id="Bow" value="35" />
<skill id="Crossbow" value="30" />
<skill id="Throwing" value="45" />
<!--<skill id="Athletics" value="70" /> #OLD_SKILL# -->
<skill id="Riding" value="65" />
<!--<skill id="InfantryCommand" value="75" /> #OLD_SKILL# -->
</skills>
<equipmentSet>
<equipment slot="Item0" id="Item.short_sword_t3" />
</equipmentSet>
<equipment slot="Body" id="Item.fur_armor_with_strap" />
</NPCCharacter>

The example I gave was of an event that allows you to generate a companion, but I would like to add that there are many ways this could be implemented. It could be a quest instead of a random event, where a village chief tells you about a talented villager who went off to rescue their family from bandits and has not returned. It turns out, the talented villager failed and is being held prisoner by the bandits. You follow the quest to a bandit hideout, destroy the hideout, and rescue them. Afterwards, the talented villager wants to join your party.

I agree, additionally I would really want to be able to change the appearance of my companions, cause lets be honest - they all look ugly af XD

For sure, companion generation should allow you change their appearance as well.

Let's hope developers will implement this. Meanwhile we can help our selfs:

Thanks for the tip!

If that was to be the case, we will need face import and export option. Recreating a good looking character every time is really a pain in the ass

If that was to be the case, we will need face import and export option. Recreating a good looking character every time is really a pain in the ass

That's true of the player character as well. The ability to import and export bodies and faces would be useful for more than just companions. I would use it whenever I create a new game, so I don't have to go through the process of creating a whole new body and face each time for my player character. Custom companions could import their appearance from the same place, to kill two birds with one stone.

That's true of the player character as well. I would like to be able to store character bodies/faces to be used whenever I create a new game, so I don't have to generate a whole new character for myself each time. Companion bodies/faces could be imported from the same pool of saved bodies/faces that the player character uses for themselves.
I know right? Damn. It's really pain in the ass. I hope it will change tho

That's true of the player character as well. The ability to import and export bodies and faces would be useful for more than just companions. I would use it whenever I create a new game, so I don't have to go through the process of creating a whole new body and face each time for my player character. Custom companions could import their appearance from the same place, to kill two birds with one stone.
Yeah, that would be nice. Especially if we are forced to die of old age or disease.

If they add this, then I think they need to also add AI decision to join you or not.
If the AI knows your a law breaking thug and they are upstanding law biding citizens. they may not join you for any amount of coin.

If they add this, then I think they need to also add AI decision to join you or not.
If the AI knows your a law breaking thug and they are upstanding law biding citizens. they may not join you
If the AI knows your a law breaking thug and they are upstanding law biding citizens. they may not join you for any amount of coin.

Agreed

I agree. Also, the player should be mindful of the circumstances that led to their companion joining them. If your companion joins you after being saved from a bandit attack, then they may do so because they see you as a kind of heroic person worthy of following. In the future, if you begin to attack villagers like a bandit yourself, then they may lose all respect for you.

Perhaps there could be other paths for custom companions for law-breakers, like a quest to break a criminal out of prison. The criminal sees you as a kindred spirit and joins you as an "evil" companion.

Last edited:
I agree. Also, the player should be mindful of the circumstances that led to their companion joining them. If your companion joins you after being saved from a bandit attack, then they may do so because they see you as a kind of heroic person worthy of following. In the future, if you begin to attack villagers like a bandit yourself, then they may lose all respect for you.

Perhaps there could be other paths for custom companions for law-breakers, like a quest to break a criminal out of prison. The criminal sees you as a kindred spirit and joins you as an "evil" companion.

I like this addition.
In short however I do not like the thought of forcing a companion to skill up a certain way. But maybe if you had a kid, and that kid becomes a companion that's how you can 'groom' your companion to be how you want.

I don't like the idea of just creating companions from scratch. But I do like the idea of finding young men wandering the streets who aren't that experienced who might be interested in joining my banner. They might be starter level, with certain attributes similar to a level 1 player

This is associated with the idea I had about Academies and Gymnasia/Training Grounds. It's somewhere on this forum, probably buried on page 3. Basically I want the education system modeled rather than abstract, and that could be a source of potential young heroes and even potential marriage partners.

Agree. I'm kind of thinking in similar veins with Kenshi. I hate that these companions are such high level...maybe one or two or something wouldn't be so bad, but why not have companions you make that all start at level 1. Or some that are a little higher, but expensive.

If you're looking for companions with specific skillsets, go to the codex, look at heroes, and select "wanderer." It'll show all of them. The suffix on their name gives a good general idea of what they're good at, and clicking them will show their full skills and last known location.

Not a perfect solution, but should help you in the meanwhile.

If you're looking for companions with specific skillsets, go to the codex, look at heroes, and select "wanderer." It'll show all of them. The suffix on their name gives a good general idea of what they're good at, and clicking them will show their full skills and last known location.

Not a perfect solution, but should help you in the meanwhile.

Thanks for the tip. I've started doing that, and using the developer console to change around unwanted skills to get the skill set I want.

Back
Top Bottom