Few ideas after playing as a merchant for 2 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Havada

Recruit
As in the title - I played for 2 days as a merchant and I had grreat fun (I didn't buy caravans and workshops tho because I heard they may bugged/unbalanced). Here are my thoughts:
1. Villages aren't changing prices during the trade. Is it intended? Sometimes a village is offering a very high fixed price for some trade good. For example: a village has 100 x fish to sell for 12 each and 1 000 gold in the bank. So, if I will buy all these fishes, it will have 13 000 gold ready to spend. Then I notice that the village is willing to buy, let's say, silver ore for a very decent price (let's say, for 230 when I bought it for ~120). It gives 56 silver ore sold at a fixed, very high price, which absolutely can't be achieved in a town. Usually the best (and both quality and quantity) trade profits I get come from villages.
2. I had this thought about inflation. Wouldn't it be a good idea to add it to the game? It would help in keeping the numbers on a reasonable level and also it would encourage players to make the cash flowing all the time instead of banking it up. I'd suggest around 0.5%/day inflation (to make things transparent, player would just lose 0.5% of his banked gold daily). It's 500 gold lost per 100 000 gold banked per day which seems reasonable. 0.5% may be too high, it depends on how the economy will be balanced in the end.
3. Information about the average price we paid for a particular trade good in our inventory. For example:
> you have 100x fish in your inventory from which you bough 50x fish for 10/each and 50x fish for 12/each
> on the fishes in your inventory there will be a number "11" in, let's say, purple, which reminds you how much on average did you pay for them
4. It would be great to be able to buy a land without becoming a vassal. Let's say that you'd be able to buy a maximum of one village from every existing fraction and one castle in total (so if there'd be 5 fractions, you'd be able to have 5 vilages and 1 castle without being a vassal). Cash opens all the doors, isn't it? :grin:

@Alpha - about (2): yes and no, very often inflation is higher (around 3% per year) than what you're getting from a bank (for example 2% per year) so actually you're losing purchasing power while gaining money :p about (4): I was thinking about it but it would mess up whole economy and politics probably

I agree with everything except the inflation, that could mess up the game badly. I have played a lot like a merchant these days too and I also think that the mules and horses should have a cap of them giving bonuses. Like the capacity of the army should be linked to the number of mules you can use effectively, then it gives less benefits in a progressive way leading up to a point where having to manage so many mules its just extremely unefective for movement. Same with sheeps and other animals.

^ YES, exactly! Atm you can have 20 troops and 3000 mules to carry insane amount of goods. 20 troops can't control 3000 mules, right? Every soldier should be able to control X animals in total (horses/mules/herdables) and there would be a skill in your Trade tree that increases this X to like 1.5 * X or 2 * X

Inflation can only happen though, if money is actually generated, not just moved around. I do not know if that is the case, though. Also, money hoarded, in this case by the player, would not really increase inflation in this game, as it is not spent, unless everyone else, is also trading profitably and therefore has money to spent in higher amounts.
While I think the concept is intriguing, I doubt it would do anything but either unnerve players, or not/barely noticeable, while it has the possibility to break things.
I agree though that the big issue along the road is the amount of money you will have at your disposal and this should be addressed indeed, so that there is always things to spend a lot of money on. I think a good start would be to increase wages for larger armies. Right now to workshops can basically sustain a group of 40 elite troops. Do fiefs, castles and towns also cost money?
Generally I think, the wages and price of equipment should gradually increase for you depending on your income and wealth, which indeed would be inflation, when I think about it. :grin:

There is a lot of things what i wish me. Thinks like trade agreements, sanctions,
commercial tax, illegal goods, forbiden goods (like horse meat, alcohol), merchant laws which are complete different from faction to faction.

1. Villages aren't changing prices during the trade. Is it intended? Sometimes a village is offering a very high fixed price for some trade good. For example: a village has 100 x fish to sell for 12 each and 1 000 gold in the bank. So, if I will buy all these fishes, it will have 13 000 gold ready to spend.
You made a mistake, it would have 2 200 denars.

2. I had this thought about inflation. Wouldn't it be a good idea to add it to the game? It would help in keeping the numbers on a reasonable level and also it would encourage players to make the cash flowing all the time instead of banking it up. I'd suggest around 0.5%/day inflation (to make things transparent, player would just lose 0.5% of his banked gold daily). It's 500 gold lost per 100 000 gold banked per day which seems reasonable. 0.5% may be too high, it depends on how the economy will be balanced in the end.
0.5% inflation a day is HUGE. It's already 1 210% of base price after 500 days (6 ingame years).

@Tarken
Ahh my bad, it'd be 2 200 indeed. But it happens that villages have like 400-600 of grain, worth few k :p

@VincentNZ Hmm now I'm very curious about the gold in m&b... is there a fixed amount of it in the game or is this amount increased daily? I'd say that in Bannerlord there seems to be a fixed amount of the total gold which, if it's true, is a great thing

Back
Top Bottom