SP - Battles & Sieges Non-polearm mounted combat is basically useless

Users who are viewing this thread

This is me on a horse, trying to hit an infantry enemy with a one handed sword. (or a 2 handed sword for that matter.)

LeyJo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with a two handed weapon, my character just loves to graze his sword right over enemy heads. It's pathetic. I never had this much trouble hitting people while mounted in Warband. Here, even if I'm starring directly at the ground, I'll still swing around my targets.

I have watched my sword passing clean though enemies, dealing no damage whatsoever, more times than I care to remember. The animations are better than Warband, but the practicality is worse.

perhaps you use weapons with hitboxes at the end of the weapon. Meaning that if you hiit the enemy with the pole-part instead of the pointy end you don't deal damage. This was the exact problem with axes. if you didnt hit them with the blade part then u wouldnt be dealing dmg.

not being a **** im being honest if your attacks are missing all the time it really is on you

My attacks don't miss, re-read my post. They phase through the enemies without doing damage, the blade is hitting them and passing clean through, how is that my fault? It's clearly a collision detection issue.

But please do tell us how awesome you are at the game, I know that's what you're dying to say, so let's get it out in the open shall we?

Oh yeah, we miss a lot, however it is really pronounced from horseback, because of the short engagement window, the rather awkward angle and the not always optimal camera angle and the fact that the weapons tip not always visible, especially for polearms so you have to guess a lot. You would want to use a weapon with a longer reach when fighting enemies on foot.
Generally it is authentic, but it can be unnerving. I thought some sort of visual hint where the pointy bit of my polearm is at the moment would help. It is a balance issue, too, so that cavalry is not so overpowered in melee.

No mate, it's not. Don't be a ****, we have enough people like that on Steam without bringing it here as well.

I am sorry this is off topic and incredibly rude. How is telling someone they should take time and improve make them an evil antagonized bad person? Take a step back and read what you wrote my friend. We should come together and discuss without resolving to petty name calling and labeling. Treating eachother as individuals and gaming compatriots.
Truce? ?
Oh yeah, we miss a lot, however it is really pronounced from horseback, because of the short engagement window, the rather awkward angle and the not always optimal camera angle and the fact that the weapons tip not always visible, especially for polearms so you have to guess a lot. You would want to use a weapon with a longer reach when fighting enemies on foot.
Generally it is authentic, but it can be unnerving. I thought some sort of visual hint where the pointy bit of my polearm is at the moment would help. It is a balance issue, too, so that cavalry is not so overpowered in melee.

Yes. It makes it feel authentic. You don't have great control over the point of your weapon irl unless you are some sort of kung fu master. The visual cue would be a great addition as a toggleable option for those that would like the feature implemented. ?

My attacks don't miss, re-read my post. They phase through the enemies without doing damage, the blade is hitting them and passing clean through, how is that my fault? It's clearly a collision detection issue.

But please do tell us how awesome you are at the game, I know that's what you're dying to say, so let's get it out in the open shall we?
Im just pointing out that what may seem like a problem with the game likely isnt actually the case, alot of people often miss their targets on horseback me included and it can look like the sword is going through them when they are actually just out of reach or something. So try not be so butthurt by someone simply trying to sort player error from actual problems that need dev time.

I found myself struggling to hit people from horseback too, however as time went on I got used to it and now I don't find it a problem at all, I can gauge when and where to release or aim my sword, it just takes some time to get it down.

The angle at which you point the camera when you attack matters a lot. I was also missing many hits in the beginning, but then I realized I need to look down towards the ground when attacking on horseback. I also have a sword with about 110 length. I almost never miss now.

I wanted to add that I found the swings land at a different (more realistic) point in the swing. Instead of hitting right next to the player, its a bit farther forward. Try to hit the enemy when they're next to the horse's neck. I found that helped me improve.

The angle at which you point the camera when you attack matters a lot. I was also missing many hits in the beginning, but then I realized I need to look down towards the ground when attacking on horseback. I also have a sword with about 110 length. I almost never miss now.
Yeah, tell me about it. :grin: I generally have better success with hitting people on my right side as you will have a longer reach horizontally. When attacking from the left you will just swing your sword along the body of the horse with an effective reach of 50cm :grin:

Back
Top Bottom