A New Player's experience of Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey guys i've only played a Total of 4 hours of this game so this is just based on first impressions. I'm a fan of Total war and Kingdom Come deliverance so was quite excited to see a game that combined aspects of the two and was intrigued to see if it lived up to the hype. I also understand that this is early access but i'm not sure what aspects are fully finished and what needs fleshed out more

Graphics: I have everything on Max at 1440p and the game runs butter smooth for me, i find the graphics very inconsistent, buildings and some terrain detail aswell as clothing can look absolutely beautiful while character animations look similar or worse to Assassins creed 1, i'm hoping this will be much improved as it's early access and due to some aspects looking beautiful i can only hope it's going to improve in others.

Settlements and quests: The level of detail and work gone into settlement design is amazing and one can easily get lost travelling around the different towns and cities of each faction. There is just one problem, it's bare, theres nothing happening, no sound even from NPCs as there is no voice audio, they just stand around staring at each other. The developers talk about how they want to make each town and city different from each other and all i have to ask is why? All i can do i walk around trying to find the NPC that was available from the campaign mode with one click.There is no incentive for me to explore these settlements. If there was more happening perhaps i'd be inclined, more events or random encounters etc. Quests's are hit and miss for me, some don't work properly however others were fairly easy to set up. They certainly aren't the most immersive and some character audio for NPC's would be nice

Combat and Battles:This is the meat of the game so will be my longest description of how i feel about this game and have to say it doesn't disappoint in terms of combat. Basically a better version of Kingdom Come deliverance which i love, the ragdoll animations, physics, combat strategy of attack and defend direction is downright brilliant and to top it off i get to use my Xbox one controller for combat which is the icing. Watching guys get pierced with a arrow or spear thrown at time never gets old and it's quite cinematic, the combat is incredibly challenging especially when it's not 1v1 however it's also very rewarding. Now onto the battles, ok this is essentially the thing you will be doing most so i was expecting big things due to the hype especially with the combat being so immersive annnnddd i'm REALLY disappointed.

The longest battle i've had is about 1 minute. At the beginning you get a few ragtorn soldiers and so a 5v5 battle is over in mere seconds, i can accept this, there is no order or discipline fighting looters and they are easily beaten. The problem was when i upgraded my units to heavy Armour and took on professional soldiers in 20v20 and up to 40v40 it was the EXACT same. Literally every battle i've had plays the same, you start facing your opponent, you have to give an order before they charge head on into you because they do that EVERY time and thats it. There is no strategy to this game as it's just charge and swing wildly out of formation and hope for the best. Now again i know this is early access but the fact this got through beta has me worried that perhaps this is what fans have been enjoying this whole time, perhaps it's me, that the game just isn't meant for me because i'm sorry to say but after 30 battles of the exact same thing being over in 30 seconds to a minute it's boring. Armour units shouldn't drop as easily as ragtorn units should with no armour and units should be fighting in a formation line rather than like barbarians.

Is this what warband was like? This game has SO much potential but i'm not sure what it is you guys expect to experience as i a have read all the reviews that say this game is amazing as it is and more than what you asked for which makes me wonder is this what battles are expected to play like? As a new player i don't know whats unfinished and whats fully completed. I really like contributing in battles and i find by the time i get off my horse and try to get into the battle i maybe get one swing in before all the others enemies are dead. In 500v500 battles i've tried in a custom battle it was a bit longer but not by much so got to kill a a few guys. I don't know, maybe it's me but battles are where this game should be at and right now it's a disaster. Will this be improved or is this pretty much what one can expect from mount and blade battles?

If you're interested in the series, if I were you I'd check out warband. Due to the current state of Bannerlord, there is quite a few shortcomings, which could lead new comers to bad taste with the series.
The early access, as stated by the developers will continue to be developed over time, so many features and issues will be resolved in the future. If you're looking for a more complete project, as I mentioned before then purchase warband. Warband is a great game to play, especially while we wait for patches and hotfixes for bannerlord

If you're interested in the series, if I were you I'd check out warband. Due to the current state of Bannerlord, there is quite a few shortcomings, which could lead new comers to bad taste with the series.
The early access, as stated by the developers will continue to be developed over time, so many features and issues will be resolved in the future. If you're looking for a more complete project, as I mentioned before then purchase warband. Warband is a great game to play, especially while we wait for patches and hotfixes for bannerlord

Ok might have to give it a go, are battles in warband different, much longer etc?

I'd say the battles are a slight upgrade, with the troop commands having more options in Bannerlord. However, sieges in Bannerlord are beyond broken and laggy at times with stuff like, but not limited to. Battles in Bannerlord are also probably a bit longer although depends on the troops you use.
-npcs jumping off walls
-npcs just stopping when there's 1 dude left
-when you siege in bannerlord the setup phase is odd, you can only build one thing at a time and it's just repetition
-massive lag spikes when using siege engines.
Warband sieges aren't that great either, but don't have any major issues.

I'd say the battles are a slight upgrade, with the troop commands having more options in Bannerlord. However, sieges in Bannerlord are beyond broken and laggy at times with stuff like, but not limited to. Battles in Bannerlord are also probably a bit longer although depends on the troops you use.
-npcs jumping off walls
-npcs just stopping when there's 1 dude left
-when you siege in bannerlord the setup phase is odd, you can only build one thing at a time and it's just repetition
-massive lag spikes when using siege engines.
Warband sieges aren't that great either, but don't have any major issues.

How long do battles last for you?

Ok might have to give it a go, are battles in warband different, much longer etc?

It really depends on the mods you are playing. Warbands battles and sieges are much more basic/barebones than what is shown in bannerlord. However, if you're interested in larger battles in a historical setting, there is a warband mod called 1257AD which will suffice you.

Enemy AI is horrible right now but just right now, even worse than Warband. When it comes to looters, bandits, etc. it is acceptable or even reasonable but when you face lords, big armies they are just a bunch of stupids. But we know that this stems from the early access, it won't be like this, it cannot. We would riot.

If the AI attitude wasn't just charge even with 500 soldiers and was more strategic it might play out differently, such as having different squads that attack from different directions or if they are outnumbered a more defensive tactic. The battle AI.... Well it doesn't exist, it just charges. To be honest with you, i'm 31, ive been with Total War since the early days, this game is a sequel more than a 10 year old game, i've seen drastic AI improvements in Total war over the years yet with this, this might have been acceptable in 2008 when nothing like this had been done before but to see so many enjoying this. I don't know what to say, it needs an overhaul, a game with so much potential, i just get worried when people seem to love the battles as they are in many of the reviews

Warband battles are only barbaric at the start because bandits don't know what tactics are. But the lords in Warband and some mercenary parties keep in formation and can command cavalry to flank. When the infantry get really close they will attack in an understandingly barbaric way but you can tell your infantry to hold a formation. Unfortunately Vanilla Warband feels even more barebones but there are plenty of "Vanilla plus" mods for warband that influenced the features that you see in Bannerlord (like shieldwall, square, circle).

With the state Bannerlord is in you might as well play Warband because Bannerlord feels like a pretty version of Warband if you strip 80% of Warbands features in the mid to late game.

My party is around like 50, enemy is normally around there as well however chasing horse archers is always fun. Not to mention I take my time with battles, most people's battles probably go faster.

I'd love to take my time but i end up having to get off my horse to get a bit of the action before it's finished lol. Cavalry usually does add some time however

Warband battles are only barbaric at the start because bandits don't know what tactics are. But the lords in Warband and some mercenary parties keep in formation and can command cavalry to flank. When the infantry get really close they will attack in an understandingly barbaric way but you can tell your infantry to hold a formation. Unfortunately Vanilla Warband feels even more barebones but there are plenty of "Vanilla plus" mods for warband that influenced the features that you see in Bannerlord (like shieldwall, square, circle).

With the state Bannerlord is in you might as well play Warband because Bannerlord feels like a pretty version of Warband if you strip 80% of Warbands features in the mid to late game.

Since you guys also feel the same about battles i'm a bit more optimistic that this is just early access and not what you fans expect from battles. It reminds me of the launch of Empire Total war only that was worse as it was a full release

If i have to say something more general, we all here put up with the game becuase we are enthuisastic about its potential. I recommend people who are not familliar with the game to play it when it is finished.

If i have to say something more general, we all here put up with the game becuase we are enthuisastic about its potential. I recommend people who are not familliar with the game to play it when it is finished.
Basically this. We are all riding on the 8 years of hype but on day 3 much of the hype is dying down and we're left with this mess of a game.

Since you guys also feel the same about battles i'm a bit more optimistic that this is just early access and not what you fans expect from battles. It reminds me of the launch of Empire Total war only that was worse as it was a full release
A quick solution would be to decrease every NPC's damage down across the board and keep the player's damage normal. Because being a strong fighter literally makes no difference in bannerlord since AI can take you down pretty easily with their damage. No the difficulty setting being lowered does not solve the issue since it only decreases enemy damage and not your soldiers damage mopping them up super quick. Seriously try Warband it's ugly as **** but the gameplay makes up for it.

Literally every battle i've had plays the same, you start facing your opponent, you have to give an order before they charge head on into you because they do that EVERY time and thats it.

Interesting, coz I had battle yesterday and it was completely different. I tried to raid an Aserai caravan composed mainly of archers, cav and horse archer. The enemy AI made the decision to hold the archer and cav while sending the horse archers to harass me in waves. When the HA took damage, the AI would pull it back and regroup before sending them to harass me again. Since I only had infantry and some archers(and I'm still trying to get the hang of the new system), I got destroyed. The point is tho, the combat is very different compared to the looters, sea raiders, steppe raiders, etc, that have I have fought.

My buddy TreeBeard made the custom AI for Prophecy of Pendor mod and to date -its still the best. Horsemen will try and lure you back to the archers and break up into smaller groups etc. Why they didnt hire him and contract that out i have no idea

What i'd like to see if it's even possible to do this much with the AI at this stage is for larger armies to be split into different regiments. If for example the AI has or feels it has the most ranged troops then it should stay back and fire a volley of arrows while being in defensive mode. If you expose a weakness of the flank i want the AI to take advantage. Battles with like 500v500 should be regiments going in wave after wave and hand to hand with heavy Armour should last much longer.

The fact that as soon as you start a battle EVERY time the AI just charges even if they are outnumbered drastically is ridiculous. This is just my input for where i feel improvements need to be made. There is no point giving quite a nice few options to order your troops if the only one that matter is charge due to how stupid the AI is.

Also as a side note it would be nice for officers like myself to get into 1v1 duels in battles, sort of single each other out, that would be cool

My buddy TreeBeard made the custom AI for Prophecy of Pendor mod and to date -its still the best. Horsemen will try and lure you back to the archers and break up into smaller groups etc. Why they didnt hire him and contract that out i have no idea
Read the employee reviews of Talesworld. Everything starts making alot of sense.

Interesting, coz I had battle yesterday and it was completely different. I tried to raid an Aserai caravan composed mainly of archers, cav and horse archer. The enemy AI made the decision to hold the archer and cav while sending the horse archers to harass me in waves. When the HA took damage, the AI would pull it back and regroup before sending them to harass me again. Since I only had infantry and some archers(and I'm still trying to get the hang of the new system), I got destroyed. The point is tho, the combat is very different compared to the looters, sea raiders, steppe raiders, etc, that have I have fought.
I only ever feel like the enemy has an AI when it's the cavalry.

Back
Top Bottom