Reus' Rants & Critiques

Users who are viewing this thread

I have added some more comments to the original post.

Apart from kicking working fine (you just have to attack immediately after the kick lands), I'm having all of the same issues.
Kicking works fine, but in the case of the short spear + shield duels in tournaments, it seems that the enemy will still be able to block your attack most of the time. It might simply be because that weapon in particular has a slow stab speed. I haven't really been having that issue in other parts of the game.

Another thing thats bothering me is why the hell can a looter with no helmet take a arrow to the head at like 5 meters from my steppe war bow which cost me 21k to buy it and using the best arrows in the game that ive found stacked bodkin arrows.
I had this same issue but with spears and cavalry charges. I really don't think that looters should be able to survive a cavalry charge when I have a tier 3 or 4 cavalry spear and 100 skill in polearms. I also dislike how they can just cancel my charge by throwing a stone at my grand armor.

really high quality post....

definitely the devs needs to pay attention to this thread...

one thing i would likely have to add is town tournaments....not exactly about the tournament itself, but basically on the situation where you get to a 1vs1 situation against the ai where it exposesone of the game's flaws.... AI needs some new behavior mechanics as AI simply spams you to death... if you turtle up, you will end up on the losing side..

Excellent write-up making for a perfect checklist for the devs. This should definitely be stickied.

I'm hoping your points under "Kingdoms & World Map + AI" are being addressed first in the same order as you posted, since the snowballing is especially game ending and unfun.

I'm not sure if this is has been mentioned in the last few pages, or in the main post but I hope they change the Leadership skill tree. I think that's obvious as an EA game, though. I say this because the first two perks are useless. The medium XP per day for tier 1 to 3 troops, is literally 30 XP a day for one troop.
I agree. My leadership skill was also levelling rather slowly since you need to have "high morale" (I have no idea what counts as high) in order to level it. I had a hard time getting higher than low 60s in morale without having to constantly fight big battles.

I agree with most of these points. I'm a little disappointed that the game seems so incomplete, still, but the foundation is definitely there. It just needs a lot of work to make it truly great.

EDIT: I'll only add that influence as a mechanic needs a lot of work. It's not very clear how you're supposed to raise it, and the rate at which you gain it, like everything else, is incredibly slow. The game risks becoming too much of a grind in that respect.

Last edited:
  • The "Go talk to these 10 nobles all around the world" quest is boring and tedious. Especially when it sends you to one end of the map just to go to the very opposite end afterwards to talk to the next guy. By the time I found the next person I had already forgotten the story that the previous guy told, and the whole quest was a mystery to me by the time I was finished.
    • The game has already given the player freedom to do whatever they want at this point, so the main story may actually require the player to go speak to lords that they're at war with, which is very annoying. This quest could be part of the tutorial if it requires you to do those things.

Yes, the quest is awful and pointless. We started with a personal quest about the brother and the sibling, let me continue developing the personal story of my starting character.

It seems the game kinda wants to force you into the path of becoming a noble and killing things, but it's not what a sandbox is supposed to be about. What if I want to become a merchant? A landlord? What if I don't want to become a lord or even fight?

The pace of the game needs to be slower, the years slighly longer and the factions a bit less warmongering. Also it wouldn't hurt to take hints from past warband mods. It still baffles me that I can't enlist into an army as simple soldier, like the mod freelancer.

• Factions should instead stay relatively stable without player involvement. I think this is very important. My game literally finished itself after 2 days of playing without my involvement.

I disagree, that would give to much the feeling of being the "chosen one". Still, there needs to be consequences for war. War weariness have to factor in. The numbers of recruits have to be limited and depending on the prosperity of the village. They should also account for the total population. So that losing factions are more inclined to ask for peace, and winning factions are more incline to accept surrender terms so they can maximize the profit of the war.

Last edited:
Agree with everything. I thing I speak for everybody when I say the character attributes and level up system is genuinely terrible in it's current form. Why not just let the player progress as far as they want? Why, if I'm becoming more skilled with polearms, do I need to now quit fighting with them and run around on foot for cardio so that I can get the points I need to... keep getting better at fighting with polearms? Why do I have skill caps that prevent me from being good at building walls, shooting a bow, fighting with a spear and stealing to the same extent that I can be good at haggling, leading armies, managing settlements and performing first aid? Why would somebody who jogs also be good at riding a horse and being a blacksmith - but not good at swinging a hammer, say, at a person?

Get rid of the skill caps and it would be the best one ever.

Back
Top Bottom