POLL: Should players be able to disable the aging mechanic?

Should players be able to turn off aging?

• YES! I don't like it.

Votes: 79 11.5%
  • YES! The game should have options to emulate the legacy titles if the user desires.

Votes: 365 53.2%
  • NO! The game was designed this way on purpose.

Votes: 175 25.5%
  • NO! I like it.

Votes: 67 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Uhmm... have you seen how many people are hating this feature just in this thread alone?

You stated

deal with such a controversial feature should have been a priority IMO

So I asked for your opinion about how the feature is controversial just so I can better understand your point of view. And your response is "because people in this thread are complaining"? Yikes, talk about bandwagon.

You stated

So I asked for your opinion about how the feature is controversial just so I can better understand your point of view. And your response is "because people in this thread are complaining"? Yikes, talk about bandwagon.

No you asked what made this feature controversial, not for my personal opinion. What makes this feature controversial is EXACTLY the number of people who don't like it, this has nothing to do with my personal opinion.

No you asked what made this feature controversial, not for my personal opinion. What makes this feature controversial is EXACTLY the number of people who don't like it, this has nothing to do with my personal opinion.

No, I asked what is controversial about aging, and the reason I directed the question towards you was to hear your opinion as you stated that it was one of two reasons that led you to not purchase the game. If I were not curious about your opinion I would not have quoted you. I thought all of this was pretty axiomatic and didn't need to be written in crayon for you, but it was my fault for thinking that I could get a genuine response from someone in a thread which I can now see is filled with children who probably can't even spell their own name backwards.

Last edited:
The trouble with an aging mechanic is that leveling up skills takes a ton of time... A huge investment.. And to to know that the game will take that away eventually is just really disheartening... That's the idea of it.. Personally I have more pressing issues with my game than that particular problem right now.. Seeing as there's just one faction left.

Last edited:
No, I asked what is controversial about aging, and the reason I directed the question towards you was to hear your opinion as you stated that it was one of two reasons that led you to not purchase the game. If I were not curious about your opinion I would not have quoted you. I thought all of this was pretty axiomatic and didn't need to be written in crayon for you, but it was my fault for thinking that I could get a genuine response from someone in a thread which I can now see is filled with children who probably can't even spell their own name backwards.

When I want to hear somebody's opinion I formulate a question like: "what do you think of..." I have answered your question as I have understood it, you see when you talk to people you should care about what they get from what you say not about what you think should be "axiomatic" in your opinion.
I'm sorry but I'm not interested in discussing my personal view with somebody who prefers to call others "children" rather than trying to reach mutual understanding.
Have a nice day

The trouble with an aging mechanic is that leveling up skills takes a ton of time... A huge investment.. And to to know that the game will take that away eventually is just really disheartening... That's the idea of it.. Personally I have no more pressing issues with my game than that particular problem right now.. Seeing as there's just one faction left.

This makes sense, thank you for sharing your perspective!

So far after 20 hours my character hasn't really aged, and I'm not sure whether or not they can die from aging yet so didn't see it being a huge problem. By the time my character dies from old age (if even possible), there probably wouldn't be much left for me to do in the game. So playing as a heir kind of adds that role-playing element for me. Also from my understanding you can disable Hero deaths, so that should solve player death.

They should take out the whole heir/dynasty system completely along with the ability to kill enemy lord/kings with very little penalty if ageing were disabled. The 13 year old sons of my king would never age a day to replace their father on the throne. Might as well go back to the warband immortal lords/player/kings system when you couldn't have kids/heirs.

That was my thoughts about the system since i first heared about it.
I know this having-children-thingy is wanted by a lot of people since the modding age of Warband, so i see why they tried to put it in.
But it simply doesn't fits well this rpg-system, it will always feel half-ass and clunky.
But then again am not someone who says things shall be removed because i don't like them, for i want to have as much players as possible play the game.
Not because i am a nice guy i mind you, i am an old *******, but out of selfishness; more players, more money, better game.

As many things as possible should be optional and adjustable in this game.

For any people, but Developers of Taleworlds, that are telling me "It was developed this way for a reason" about any gamemechanic, i have only a hearty "**** off".
You are a customer like me and the next guy, you know **** about Bannerlords development.

The trouble with an aging mechanic is that leveling up skills takes a ton of time... A huge investment.. And to to know that the game will take that away eventually is just really disheartening... That's the idea of it.. Personally I have more pressing issues with my game than that particular problem right now.. Seeing as there's just one faction left.

My thoughts exactly. One of the things I enjoyed the most about WB was seeing all of my efforts rewarded when I could import a leveled character in new modules and see the result of my hard work in a stronger character who had an easier time in the game from the start as a direct consequence. If that is taken away the game kinda lose its appeal to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about balance issues though; I think those will be addressed properly during the course of early access :wink:

That was my thoughts about the system since i first heared about it.
I know this having-children-thingy is wanted by a lot of people since the modding age of Warband, so i see why they tried to put it in.
But it simply doesn't fits well this rpg-system, it will always feel half-ass and clunky.
But then again am not someone who says things shall be removed because i don't like them, for i want to have as much players as possible play the game.
Not because i am a nice guy i mind you, i am an old *******, but out of selfishness; more players, more money, better game.

As many things as possible should be optional and adjustable in this game.

For any people, but Developers of Taleworlds, that are telling me "It was developed this way for a reason" about any gamemechanic, i have only a hearty "**** off".
You are a customer like me and the next guy, you know **** about Bannerlords development.

If the heir/dynasty system is done right, even the die-hard warband fans will prefer it. If TW is just going to half-ass it, might as well just revert back to the immortal warband days which was functional and something they knew worked.

My thoughts exactly. One of the things I enjoyed the most about WB was seeing all of my efforts rewarded when I could import a leveled character in new modules and see the result of my hard work in a stronger character who had an easier time in the game from the start as a direct consequence. If that is taken away the game kinda lose its appeal to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about balance issues though; I think those will be addressed properly during the course of early access :wink:

Your heir will have a much easier time than you initially did if you are a king and items/money/fiefs and some skills are inherited.

Could someone who has followed the game's development explain to me how the system is intended to work? Will your heir gain any of your earned sklls or will they have to start from scratch again?

Edit: Oh wuaw didn't notice Reland's comment there at the end. Which skills are inherited?

If the heir/dynasty system is done right, even the die-hard warband fans will prefer it. If TW is just going to half-ass it, might as well just revert back to the immortal warband days which was functional and something they knew worked.

Your heir will have a much easier time than you initially did if you are a king and items/money/fiefs and some skills are inherited.

That is true but only for the same campaign. If you start a new game or a new module (I'm thinking about future mods here) you'll have to go from scratch again and I find this extremely frustrating, when in Warband you had the option to import your old character.
I know there are people that like it that way and that's fine, what I'm saying is one should at least have the option.
Besides there is also the fact that I personally enjoy to keep playing the character I have invested time into and a random character assigned to me by the AI is not going to cut it for me

Honestly I think this is the wrong game for you if you don't like the aging. It's clear that they wanted to take a realism turn with this one.
Yet you don't mind recovering from a punctured lung or chopped throat in a day or two?

They should make characters get infections and die from wounds while they are at it. If 'realism' is the end objective.

Well said. If they're willing to add in mechanics like, "are you willing to spend three years revolutionizing your kingdom's farming system?"

Then fair enough, that's just adding a 4x layer on top of it. But... if they're going to say, "you have a quest to visit Praven half way across the map... oh my, you ages a whole year over those five days of travel!" Or, "in the time it took you to chase down those six bandit parties for a quest, your wife gave birth, and now your new son is getting married!"

Hyper aging is really, really, very stupid.

Well said. If they're willing to add in mechanics like, "are you willing to spend three years revolutionizing your kingdom's farming system?"

Then fair enough, that's just adding a 4x layer on top of it. But... if they're going to say, "you have a quest to visit Praven half way across the map... oh my, you ages a whole year over those five days of travel!" Or, "in the time it took you to chase down those six bandit parties for a quest, your wife gave birth, and now your new son is getting married!"

I still think options are the way to go. Players should be able to play the game how they want. Including if they want to play it like every previous Mount & Blade game.

Right now, some players are happy with new feature. Which is great, glad they are enjoying the product they've purchased. Some of us aren't enjoying it as much as we have come to expect from Mount & Blade. One side already has their cake and is eating it, too. I don't see the harm in letting others enjoy a different experience.

I still think options are the way to go. Players should be able to play the game how they want. Including if they want to play it like every previous Mount & Blade game.

Right now, some players are happy with new feature. Which is great, glad they are enjoying the product they've purchased. Some of us aren't enjoying it as much as we have come to expect from Mount & Blade. One side already has their cake and is eating it, too. I don't see the harm in letting others enjoy a different experience.
Yeah, it'd be easy to turn off aging. I see no reason to not have the option somewhere.

Yeah, it'd be easy to turn off aging. I see no reason to not have the option somewhere.

I hope you are right and it is indeed easy, but I'm afraid it is a core mechanic built in the game. You see, every single AI character in the campaign is subject to dying and being replaced, if I understood correctly, so probably "turning it off" is not as simple as one could think.
What could be simpler, however, is deactivating the feature for the single PC via a sort of a "cheat" line inserted somewhere in the script (I don't really know it's mere speculation), which could be invisible in game or even a modded in trait the player can acquire

Depends on your definition of hyper-aging. In TW:3k a year goes by like every 15 minutes, so far in bannerlord a year is like 5 hours of game-time. Realistically if you were to travel from one end of Calridia with an army of footsoldiers to the other it'd probably take you at least half a year. Long distance fetch quests should be more rewarding or very important.

Although having as many options to tweak your gameplay as possible is always a good thing, I don't really know is thats possible at all in this case. I mean it's not like the autoblock option discussed in other threads. The ageing system, death system and inheritance one is pretty much in the game core and I don't really know if it's possible to change that... Don't get me wrong but I prefer the devs to focus on fixing bugs and adding the missing/halfly-done features atm.
Personally this features is something I was missing from warband, it brings more realism and inmersion in the world plus it feels a bit like Crusader Kings games (which i love) in terms of having a changing world that may please you sometimes or may bring you a few headeches (dying unexpectedly in battle and having to play as an unprepared heir with all that includes). I don't know i think it can bring a lot of dynamism into your gameplay

Back
Top Bottom