Bored? Help me decide something!

Who should it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I made a (buggy) family tree a month or so back. Generated it and connected the dots with lore off the top of my head, based on what I could piece together of the setting at the time. As a result of it - and this is pasted from a reply I made in another thread, which gave me the idea for this request - I came out with a handful of characters who might serve as my virtual vessel for my first run.

What I would like is a vote on which one I should choose, as I'm terribly indecisive. (Note: Faction is Battania.)

Gwalder fen Folcar
7dfrM9R.jpg

The eldest of his clan's "current generation". He looks after his kinsmen and arbitrates disputes. He's a likeable soul with a pleasant, inviting personality, but his charisma masks a cunning mind. I'd play him in a bit more of a nuanced manner. Maybe a merchant, or otherwise a military leader who puts more focus on making connections to wield against his enemies than he does fighting himself. A real top-level thinker who sees the big picture.

Morcan fen Folcar
IN4RT9W.jpg

Gwalder's younger brother. After losing his mother to a raid while he was still young, he picked up a virulent hatred for the criminal scum of Calradia. He hunts raiders, brigands, and all their ilk with a single mind, but as he grows to enjoy cutting them down more and more, he risks falling into the raider mentality himself. I'd probably, at the outset, play him more traditionally than the others: Hunt raiders and brigands obsessively until I have sufficient renown to join Battania officially.

Rakon fen Folcar
APXer1R.jpg

The elderman of Clan fen Folcar at the time of game start. The son of a Battanian warrior and a Sturgian woman brought back from a looted village, he is the uncle (by another woman) of the brothers above. He was first called "Domnall's Bastard", but earned the name "Little Wolf" after proving himself a mighty addition to the clan's armed forces. With a swift axe and a cunning mind for strategy, he practically conquered the respect right out of his legitimate kinsmen. Married Raganvad's cousin after she fled his increasingly tyrannical reign. For him, I'd play a very purposeful campaign. He'd be starting older, so I'd be securing heirs as soon as possible (since I doubt I can just magic the two to follow into existence, mechanically) and making a hard push towards renown from early on.

Cormag fen Folcar
SxfjreA.jpg

Son of Rakon, and the first of a pair of twins born to him. Cormag fully embraces his Sturgian heritage and fights with fiery abandon, eager to prove that his blood makes him mighty be default. He doesn't seek fortune, nor change, nor conquest or even security. He just wants to show his enemies that he's the greatest warrior Battania has ever seen. He's not necessarily right, of course, and may well get himself killed. For Cormag, I'd probably end up playing in a more direct fashion, trying to be up in the melee whenever possible and leaving command to others. I can see him getting wise in his old age if he lives long enough, though, so this style may shift slowly over time. I might also go for a mercenary style if I play him, hiring out to the highest bidder (if possible).

(Thanks to a conversation on another thread last night, Cormag already has a vote, I think.)

Caegel fen Folcar
xivcneh.jpg

The "younger" twin brother of Cormag. He's more of a tactician. He behaves prudently and sees it his duty to make sure his brother doesn't get himself killed. His sense of caution borders on paranoia and he doesn't like to get right in the fighting as a result. His method is to think about all the ways he and his men could die, and direct his men in such a way as to avoid them. I'd probably play him more historically, sitting on a hill and commanding the action from a vantage point as opposed to diving into every fight myself. Might give him a bow or some javelins and engage that way, though...

Which of these fellows stands out most to you? Which play style would you shoehorn me into? If you've read this far, I'd be happy for any nudges I get in one direction or the other.

Last edited:
Voted for the avenger, even though my first playthrough will be more networker/merchant trading between two nations and then setting up a trade empire

I’d say start with Cormag to have a balls to the wall, sword swinging first play through. Then his brother to learn how to be more cunning and test out the strategic/diplomatic feature. Then when you have a longer period to play (as far as EA updates that won’t corrupt your play through) start as Rakon and use what you’ve learned from your previous two play throughs of his sons. That way you have the best chance possible to put either Cormag or Caegal, whoever you decide to play when Rakon dies, in a good position to take over the clan. ??

I’d say start with Cormag to have a balls to the wall, sword swinging first play through. Then his brother to learn how to be more cunning and test out the strategic/diplomatic feature. Then when you have a longer period to play (as far as EA updates that won’t corrupt your play through) start as Rakon and use what you’ve learned from your previous two play throughs of his sons. That way you have the best chance possible to put either Cormag or Caegal, whoever you decide to play when Rakon dies, in a good position to take over the clan. ??

That's... actually a really compelling argument, and I may well take it over whatever the vote comes out to. I'll have to see how "balls to the wall" I feel in a few hours. :grin:

now go make me a clan backstory for my Battanian playthrough in the meantime!

Haha! You know what? I don't have enough time to go as far back as I did with this, but I'll see if I can't give you five generations and a rough backstory to tie them together, why not. Give me a hair color for your semi-ancient patriarch and let's see where the chips fall!

Haha! You know what? I don't have enough time to go as far back as I did with this, but I'll see if I can't give you five generations and a rough backstory to tie them together, why not. Give me a hair color for your semi-ancient patriarch and let's see where the chips fall!

NICE!! give that old bastard some dark ginger rooted hair! I’ll post a pic of my in game character based on what you come up with

@malvado Alright, here we are. Obviously the traits, appearance, history of the final group... They're all pending tweaks on your end, I just gave them all the details for my own completionism's sake.

THE TREE

THE HISTORICAL OVERVIEW
The short of it is... I started from a fellow named Ragal fen Morgillis. He was your typical Battanian farmer-raider, and he died during the latter part of that job title at the age of 41, alongside his eldest son. His younger sons, Rhian and Segorn, became exceptional warriors in their time. Segorn's prowess was witnessed by the headman of Clan fen Pendraic and he was taken on as a chosen swordsman. He went on to gain such renown that future generations would take his name. This, according to my history (and loose interpretation of the Battanian culture), makes your clan name fen Segorn.

Segorn's only son married a Vlandian refugee and she gave him two rather opposite sons. Dianar was a man of war who was drawn to Vlandia, following stories of riches earned through blood by Vlandian mercenaries. He married a good Vlandian girl and never came back to Battania. His younger brother, Ragyrn, was a bit of a cocky bastard. He didn't fully appreciate his status, and indeed had such little respect for his liege that he made a play for a great beauty openly courted by said liege's son. He stole a bride from none other than Luichan fen Penraic, who as of the time of the game is the ruler of Seonon (according to the wiki).

Obviously this had repercussions. He was banished from Seonon and left with the ire of his former peers. After that, he lived a quiet life near Ath Cafal until the opportunity arose to prove himself to the High King himself when Seonon came under attack. He joined with the reinforcements intent to shake off the rust and put himself back into a position of prominence, but all he got for it was a pilum to the thigh and a kontos to the chest. His wife was left with the task of grooming her children for future success alone, but fortunately she was from as fine a stock as Battania had to offer.

THE OPTIONS
Thus, this brings us to your (male) options. Obviously there are female options as well, but I presume you're wanting to play a male, so I'll zero in on those:

Remont Segorn (Vlandia)
oknixJG.jpg

Picked up his father's mercenary career with what few men he had left after his final battle at Charas. Those men may or may not have died or abandoned the greenhorn by now. Despite his reasonably young age, Remont has a good head on his shoulders. He watched his father closely and he knows the ins and outs of running a mercenary company, and he could theoretically apply that to business as well. He has the makings of a warrior, but right now he's more a thinker than he is a fighter.

Keric Segorn (Vlandia)
nqMbpgK.jpg

Remont's younger brother. Keric's goals are simple: He has aspirations of being a knight. Charismatic and tirelessly optimistic, he looked up to Vlandia's knights from the time he was a young boy. Now that he's older, he's even more serious than ever about attaining knighthood, as he now understands the precarious situation his homeland of southern Vlandia is in.

Finus fen Segorn (Battania)
qftpyxD.jpg

Finus just wants a quiet life. He's heard the stories of his fathers. The great Segorn, dead of illness contracted while on the march. His grandfather, struck down while fighting in Empire territory. His uncle, broken to pieces on the walls of Charas (however gloriously). His father, struck down like a dog by imperial cataphracts. He wants to break the cycle and just be a common farmer, or trader, or fisher, or anything but dying on the battlefield. The thing is, five generations of warrior blood is difficult to ignore sometimes, and he may yet find himself taking up the clan arms...

Athgyr fen Segorn (Battania)
7EwGjeT.jpg

Proud like his father and austere like his grandfather, Athgyr is a warrior born. Unlike his older brother, Athgyr knew from a young age that he wanted to avenge their forefathers by taking up arms against the Calradic scum who dragged them to early graves. He has every intention of doing this with or without the great clans. If he has to, he'll raise his own banner and take the fight to the Empire wherever his scant resources allow. But he's no fool, and he'd rather have the support of the clans. Perhaps Luichan fen Penraic is over losing his mother to his former sworn man?

Last edited:
For a first playthrough,Gwalder seems the best pick for me.Afterwards,I would go for either Caegel or Rakon.

@malvado Alright, here we are. Obviously the traits, appearance, history of the final group... They're all pending tweaks on your end, I just gave them all the details for my own completionism's sake.

THE TREE

THE HISTORICAL OVERVIEW
The short of it is... I started from a fellow named Ragal fen Morgillis. He was your typical Battanian farmer-raider, and he died during the latter part of that job title at the age of 41, alongside his eldest son. His younger sons, Rhian and Segorn, became exceptional warriors in their time. Segorn's prowess was witnessed by the headman of Clan fen Pendraic and he was taken on as a chosen swordsman. He went on to gain such renown that future generations would take his name. This, according to my history (and loose interpretation of the Battanian culture), makes your clan name fen Segorn.

Segorn's only son married a Vlandian refugee and she gave him two rather opposite sons. Dianar was a man of war who was drawn to Vlandia, following stories of riches earned through blood by Vlandian mercenaries. He married a good Vlandian girl and never came back to Battania. His younger brother, Ragyrn, was a bit of a cocky bastard. He didn't fully appreciate his status, and indeed had such little respect for his liege that he made a play for a great beauty openly courted by said liege's son. He stole a bride from none other than Luichan fen Penraic, who as of the time of the game is the ruler of Seonon (according to the wiki).

Obviously this had repercussions. He was banished from Seonon and left with the ire of his former peers. After that, he lived a quiet life near Ath Cafal until the opportunity arose to prove himself to the High King himself when Seonon came under attack. He joined with the reinforcements intent to shake off the rust and put himself back into a position of prominence, but all he got for it was a pilum to the thigh and a kontos to the chest. His wife was left with the task of grooming her children for future success alone, but fortunately she was from as fine a stock as Battania had to offer.

THE OPTIONS
Thus, this brings us to your (male) options. Obviously there are female options as well, but I presume you're wanting to play a male, so I'll zero in on those:

Remont Segorn (Vlandia)
oknixJG.jpg

Picked up his father's mercenary career with what few men he had left after his final battle at Charas. Those men may or may not have died or abandoned the greenhorn by now. Despite his reasonably young age, Remont has a good head on his shoulders. He watched his father closely and he knows the ins and outs of running a mercenary company, and he could theoretically apply that to business as well. He has the makings of a warrior, but right now he's more a thinker than he is a fighter.

Keric Segorn (Vlandia)
nqMbpgK.jpg

Remont's younger brother. Keric's goals are simple: He has aspirations of being a knight. Charismatic and tirelessly optimistic, he looked up to Vlandia's knights from the time he was a young boy. Now that he's older, he's even more serious than ever about attaining knighthood, as he now understands the precarious situation his homeland of southern Vlandia is in.

Finus fen Segorn (Battania)
qftpyxD.jpg

Finus just wants a quiet life. He's heard the stories of his fathers. The great Segorn, dead of illness contracted while on the march. His grandfather, struck down while fighting in Empire territory. His uncle, broken to pieces on the walls of Charas (however gloriously). His father, struck down like a dog by imperial cataphracts. He wants to break the cycle and just be a common farmer, or trader, or fisher, or anything but dying on the battlefield. The thing is, five generations of warrior blood is difficult to ignore sometimes, and he may yet find himself taking up the clan arms...

Athgyr fen Segorn (Battania)
7EwGjeT.jpg

Proud like his father and austere like his grandfather, Athgyr is a warrior born. Unlike his older brother, Athgyr knew from a young age that he wanted to avenge their forefathers by taking up arms against the Calradic scum who dragged them to early graves. He has every intention of doing this with or without the great clans. If he has to, he'll raise his own banner and take the fight to the Empire wherever his scant resources allow. But he's no fool, and he'd rather have the support of the clans. Perhaps Luichan fen Penraic is over losing his mother to his former sworn man?
How weird!! I was going to tell you I wanted a drop of Vlandian mixed into my lineage but I decided I’d just let you do your thing.
This is perfect and will help ground my characters thank you my man!!

It would figure that we'd have a tie, wouldn't it? Rakon and Caegel have the same number of votes. I hadn't considered how I'd work this out. I think what I'll do, perhaps, is... make both, and make a new thread asking which of the two I should go with. If it ties again, I'll just have to flip a coin!

Edit: Nevermind, you can only make young men. Caegel it shall be. :grin:

Last edited:
And here he is. Caegel fen Folcar, my first character in Bannerlord. What an honor the young lad has!

WjxHTiO.png

xivcneh.jpg

Not a perfect likeness, but it never had to be; I just wanted something to guide me.
Thanks for the help, lads! Without you I'd still be sitting here trying to decide who to play and how to play him. And now, if you'll excuse me, it's harvesting season.

Back
Top Bottom