Spears are too overpowered

Users who are viewing this thread

Agreed, but that goes for most weapons which turn to be largely useless when a horse is in your face. You could deal 15-20 dmg hits with a sword and it would be nothing compared to the horse's health pool. I think the way to balance them would be to reduce overall horses' hp, but also to reduce the speed bonus added to damage when attacking them at high speed. This way they won't become paper thin after their hp is lowered, while at the same time making it possible to actually deal damage when they're close to you and moving at low speed (or not moving at all).
Fair enough, you're far more knowledgeable on balance matters that I am and that idea sounds reasonable. I try to stay out of balance discussions as much as I can but the spear debate has been going a bit too far for me now...

Amazing how there are still people asking for buffs to spears when they're still so strong just because they were "the best in history". Enjoy playing a game where only 1 weapon dominates and every fight is reduced to a mere thrust spam just because "muh realism".
**** off Silen, realism is the highest degree of quality videogames can achieve.

I'll add my video to that as well, it's from a few versions ago but pretty much still the same:

The sheer ignorance from people demanding this or that and engaging in debates while having close to no experience is always amusing. Spears can definitely be used well in duels, and I'm also not sure why spears should be great in every single situation, be it groupfights, duels or countering cav.

You do realise that I can make a video hitting people in the back or in the face with a sickle and kill them? or with a sword? or with a 2H? If they are not blocking and you are hitting them from the back obviously they SHOULD take damage? Or what is the purpose of that video?

To me it seems like you are used to spears being useless like in warband and cannot accept the fact that they are supposed to be better than swords in some ways?

You do realise that I can make a video hitting people in the back or in the face with a sickle and kill them? or with a sword? or with a 2H? If they are not blocking and you are hitting them from the back obviously they SHOULD take damage? Or what is the purpose of that video?

The purpose of the video is showing instant dmg hits early in the animation with no glances, speed, huge dmg output especially against high armour, lack of blockstun allowing me to top the leaderboard while only using a spear for the entirety of both matches. If you want more detailed explanations about spears' issues feel free to dig through my many posts about them or Charlini's, you will have plenty of material.

The dude in your video does not know the existence of right click and its purpose
Doesn't matter if they're good or not the fact that I can stab him 4 times there and not bounce off is why spears dont need a buff. Even if hes a good player I can force him to block while facehugging me 1v1 using a spear against a sword. That's the point were making.

Doesn't matter if they're good or not the fact that I can stab him 4 times there and not bounce off is why spears dont need a buff. Even if hes a good player I can force him to block while facehugging me 1v1 using a spear against a sword. That's the point were making.
Or.. he can force you to block while you are facehugging him because a sword has faster thrust swing than spear(and normal speed)? It even has more dmg, and better handling. (If you compare tier 1 spear with tier 1 sword)
cd01f6bd0731f3b20a207a3fc55f18a0.png
3673ca71d2c84ecb2334109937bab636.png

Or.. he can force you to block while you are facehugging him because a sword has faster thrust swing than spear(and normal speed)? It even has more dmg, and better handling. (If you compare tier 1 spear with tier 1 sword)
cd01f6bd0731f3b20a207a3fc55f18a0.png
3673ca71d2c84ecb2334109937bab636.png

You do realise that the animations are different so one weapon's speed isn't equal to another? You also realise that not all weapons have the same stats? You also realise that a spear thrust will hit you faster because the point is immediately closer to your hitbox, rather than a sword thrust which has a long windup?

If you don't know what you're talking about you might as well stop embarassing yourself.

'll add my video to that as well, it's from a few versions ago but pretty much still the same:

Ahh the flashbacks are real.

@Aivian you can easily duel with spears. Especially with the eastern throwing spear or pilas.

Contrary to Gab/Silen I just believe that it is harder to learn, than with other one handed weapons like swords or axes.
Spears are overpowered in so many situations and awfully unreliable in others. But if I had the choice to either nerf or buff spears I'd rather nerf them.

let dumb people stay dumb if they refuse to learn and listen

I am just worried that the devs listen to the wrong people.

Spears deal damage when they shouldn't and don't deal damage when they should. This is why people think spears are underpowered. You won't deal damage on a perfectly placed thrust with medium to long distance(it will glance without even stunning), but face hug somebody and o low thrusts and you will start dealing damage with spears. They are neither over nor underpowered, just broken.

Are you drunk or something? Spear is literally useless in a duel and you ACTUALLY cannot say otherwise?? Imagine going into a duel with a spear even bots would think better.

I honestly cannot understand how a lot of people think the spear needs a nerf, it needs a buff if anything.

I win every duel when someone uses a spear, as a matter of fact I dominate anyone using a spear hence why I don't ever try it myself because it seems ****e, but maybe if I tried it I would realise how "overpowered" it is?
Have you ever tried to play at least against half decent opponents?

The ignorance in this thread is downright disturbing.
Have any of the people in this thread calling for buffs to spears played the game for more than 20 hours? Because in the other thread, the guy that claimed spears were too weak, had 14 hours ingame at that point. You don't get to claim you know more about balance than people that played since alpha when your hours are barely double digits. It really doesn't work that way.

I've shown the other guy how spears are still OP, even in 1v1s. I'll show every single one of you if I have to. Claiming spears need a buff or can stay like they are right now is wrong, and anyone with a bit of playtime on skirmish knows so. Here, add me on Steam, I'll show you.

Spears need a rework. Their capability in melee needs to be nerfed, preferably by adding stuns to the user like warband did. That said, they should probably also be slightly more effective against cavalry - you don't do that by increasing their speed or damage though, because that will **** over melee even more.
Thank you very much, kind person

Spears are still stupidly broken, feels more like theres a gentlemans agreement not to spam them in skirmish which actually gives me faith in the future of the community. Then there are those who shall not be named :xf-mad:

Best of luck trying to kick someone with a spear, leaving yourself open for a millisecond and you get 50 dmg in the face

I think players that ask buff for spears, are asking buff against horses. It doesn't have to be like that. Nerfing horses against pierce damage would do the same job. Spear animation needs adjustment (aka nerf, or fixing a broken weapon)

Spears deal damage when they shouldn't and don't deal damage when they should. This is why people think spears are underpowered. You won't deal damage on a perfectly placed thrust with medium to long distance(it will glance without even stunning), but face hug somebody and o low thrusts and you will start dealing damage with spears. They are neither over nor underpowered, just broken.
+1 Yea this drives me crazy.

Back
Top Bottom