Question about historical inspirations

Users who are viewing this thread

Nakajima

Recruit
The empire is based on Roman empire , so what you think about shields being more similar to the real ones ?

You're likely thinking of the classic Roman scutum, but that's more an affectation of the late Republican and early Imperial legions.

The Calradic Empire at this point in the timeline draws more heavily from Byzantine Rome, which was Rome as it existed a good 800 years after the scutum's heyday, who more likely used kite shields or even round shields. I think they're pretty good for accuracy here. :grin:

Roman Empire, that's more then 1000 years of history. They used many different shields. Which one do you mean?

Yes i know and im think more about the rectangular shield

Edit:
yes you are right, what I mean by the real ones is more like the topical image of a roman leginar
When you think about the roman army one of the first things that came to your mind is a legionar whit the rectangular shield or am I wrong?

Edit:
You're likely thinking of the classic Roman scutum, but that's more an affectation of the late Republican and early Imperial legions.

The Calradic Empire at this point in the timeline draws more heavily from Byzantine Rome, which was Rome as it existed a good 800 years after the scutum's heyday, who more likely used kite shields or even round shields. I think they're pretty good for accuracy here. :grin:
yes you are right, what I mean by the real ones is more like the topical image of a roman leginar

Last edited by a moderator:
When you think about the roman army one of the first things that came to your mind is a legionar whit the rectangular shield or am I wrong?

Well, true. But technically speaking, they were still called legionaries, so it's historically accurate to have them look like this. While I get what you're saying, I personally would feel kind of weirded out if you had 1st century Roman legionaries fighting on the same battlefield with 10th century Norman knights. It'd just look kind of jarring.

Early roman equipment was obsolete by middle ages for a reason. empire is later eastern roman inspired. If they do an earlier prequel in 30 years for their next game sure this would make sense.

Well, true. But technically speaking, they were still called legionaries, so it's historically accurate to have them look like this. While I get what you're saying, I personally would feel kind of weirded out if you had 1st century Roman legionaries fighting on the same battlefield with 10th century Norman knights. It'd just look kind of jarring.
Yes it's TRUE, but being honest I would love to go against a testudo with one of my shield walls

Back
Top Bottom