If new cultures were added into Bannerlord, what would you want their strengths/weaknesses to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm getting antsy for release. Even though it's unlikely TW will add a Faction in an Expansion that isn't The Nords, I feel like this is an engaging thought-exercise.

Sub-saharan Africa: Trade focused cities. Emphasis on melee light cav and bow footmen,

Persian: Administration focuses cities. Emphasis on ranged light cav, elephant heavy cav, and spear & shield footmen

Japanese: Morale focus. Emphasis on 2h swords and polearms

Indian: Trade/Growth focused cities. Emphasis on Scimitars (no stabbing), skirmishers, and elephants.

spartans: hoplite phalanx, diarchy
Athenians: political systems, phalanx, trade and maritime dominance, democracy
Macedonians: Macedonian phalanx, elephants, cavalry.
Japanese: similar to yours, together with cavalry with a bow (samurai are born as knights with a bow) with an emperor and a shogun
Romans: testudo formation, repubblic (consul and dictator) and autocracy (emperor)
Egyptians: horse drawn war chariot with archers above, and theocracy(pharaoh)
Indians and Africans like yours.
china: an empire divided into 14 parts with 14 clans.
the 14 clans are reduced to 7 main ones (warring states) and these finally reduce to form 3 kingdoms and finally an empire.

In reality, all those mentioned above may very well be part of 8 of the 14 clans of the "Chinese-like" territory,4 of these clans represent: qin, zhao, chu, wei , so 8+4= 12.
I leave the remaining two to your imagination.

ohhh.. and the yellow turban revolt!! maybe as invasion!

Last edited:
I’d be curious to know how the community feels about faction-unique buildings/settlement projects. Things like the Southern Empire getting a unique Castallan’s Office that provides the default -50% reduced rebellion militia in addition to a +1 daily garrison increase. Or the Vlandians getting a unique Workshop that provides the default +1 bonus to hammers in addition to reducing the materials cost for weapon forging in that town. Could help flavor each faction/region to feel a little more differently from one another.
Battannia getting a barracks that lets you recruit more archers at once. That kind of thing.

Was there a Warband mod that differentiated between factions on the strategic/map level?

The Band of the Red hand, strengths: Repeating Crossbows, good stats. Weakness: small number of troops. Lord Mat will lead us to victory.

Hmm... I would try to think about what sort of culture we are missing in the world of Calradia, that dosent go fully against Warbands lore.
Like we dont have any south or north american tribes, they could have som fun strengts and weaknesses, but would likely end up being a bit similar to Battania.
Then we dont have any African either, but same issue as above, would not fit that well. (except for one idea i will mention later)
Then we get to Asian cultures, Theres some lore tied to them in Warband, as you can actually find a Japanese weapon and armor piece in the game, i know its more of a fun thing than lore though. I guess such a Asian inspired culture would maybe be strong with melee sword troops, but have limitied long spears and heavy calvary. it would prefer archers over crossbowmen, unless they added something similar to the chinese Chu-ko-nu making it a culture using fastfire crossbows, that had more dmg than archers, but less than regular crossbows, with faster speed in generel. making it a solid third choice. This could work as a DLC culture or two, for a big DLC adding the lands behind the Khanate.
What i hope to see first though, is a naval battle DLC (ekspansion) that adds two new cultures. One similar to the Nords (true vikings) with similar strengths as those in warband and a second culture based on the Carthaginian Empire, that would give us two major seafaring cultures, with very different strengts, also adding the african based culture i mentioned earlier, it might break balance, but maybe they could even get elefants as their only but WILDLY expensive calvary troop, then the empire factions would need to get burning pigs as an option though :grin:

Aztecs, AZTECS!!!!!!

scale_1200

Geroia: they don't have combined arms because Lezalit is eager to use Calradia combined arms.
Their infantry have polearm and bow: tier 5 infantry is good at melee as tier 4 infantry and good at ranged as tier 3 archer.
Their light cavalry have polearm and bow: tier 5 cavalry is good at melee like tier 3 melee cavalry and good at ranged as tier 4 horse archer.
Their noble cavalry have polearm and crossbow. Tier 5 is good as tier 5 melee cavalry and their ranged is good as tier 5 crossbow but from regular trees while they are noble so in few numbers.
Noble infantry similar at noble cavalry. While they lack the mount they have a wooden panel. They can't use it at melee and they lost 2 seconds to deploy and undeploy. Wooden panel is very weak in melee and can be one shotted from behind but gives great coverage against arrow.

Lokti. Since the name is similar to Lok'tar they have:
Melee infantry with bastard axe and weak shield. Once their shield is broken they use the axe with two hands.
Skirmisher that can develop in axe thrower with good shield or javelin thrower with better throwing skills and perks.
Noble troops with only 2 tier (other factions have 3) but tier 2 is like a 2.5 so they have early advantage and you can replace and train faster.

Balion. Like Vlandia but less specialized and with slower training since they have no rivals in their homeland.
They reach tier 6 but it is only good as tier 5.

I like this line of thinking. For me...

Sub-saharan Africa: Trade focused cities. Emphasis on melee light cav and bow footmen,

Persian: Administration focuses cities. Emphasis on ranged light cav, elephant heavy cav, and spear & shield footmen

Japanese: Morale focus. Emphasis on 2h swords and polearms

Indian: Trade/Growth focused cities. Emphasis on Scimitars (no stabbing), skirmishers, and elephants.

Good calls. Me... I'd give Japan a little in bows as well. Basically I'd give them good elite archers and (relatively) strong mid-tier polearms, if it were me.

If I were to throw China in, I'd go for cheaper troops that aren't as individually strong as those of other factions at the same tier, to emphasize wielding numbers efficiently. Strong trade and administration focus as well.

The rest of these look like about what I'd do.

Early anglo saxon pre norman troops, similar mix as vlandia just less equipped and no crossbows.

Barbarian germanic tribes more hostile and less civilized than battanians.... bearded and only in fur wielding huge war axes and light cavalry like caesar times

I would like Aztecs, Mayan, Inka , Indians, Turk/Persian and Sub-saharan Africa.
I really don't need/ like another European-Faction.

Reasonable. I think pseudo-Indians and psuedo-Africans would be my first votes for new faction inspirations, as they'd add the most variety without stepping outside the bounds of plausibility. It's fiction, so Native American inspirations could be drawn, but it'd break the sort of pseudo-medieval vibe they've got going.

Back
Top Bottom