Bannerlord 2: Freelancer Overhaul

Freelancer should be expanded upon

• No it was good enough in warband (modded)

• Yes it has a lot of potential and really should be

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

FREELANCER MOD HAS BEEN DEVELOPED BY A TALENTED MODDER GO HERE ---) Freelancer Mod (--- FOR MORE INFO

I would be pleased if the freelancer feature would be more advanced than its warband counterpart rather than it being identical. This is not a demand it is just me sharing my thoughts about an aspect of warband I really enjoyed playing. The fact that I have reason to believe was implemented into Bannerlord 2 is really good, but if the developers at any point during or post development (DLC) are thinking about enhancing this feature then I hope the ideas in this thread could be considered. If not the developers maybe modders if they know what's in here is possible and desirable. Thank you.

Edit: Its not in the base game so hopefully it will be implemented by a mod.

After reaching the highest rank of the troop tree in current freelancer version, there is no way to further progress your standing within the army, the feeling of accomplishment at this point is limited to improving relation with lord, winning battles etc. I really loved the fact I was working towards a promotion, it made me feel integrated with the world and the army itself. So overall I want to improve this feeling of progression through merit with my ideas.

- The commander can choose to allocate a contingent of his army for you to command at some point after you have reached highest rank. That contingent, at least at the initial point MUST be of the same unit type that you are (Immersion). You should be able to change what unit you are, so your contingent will change with you as well. So If you are a cataphract then you become a cataphract captain. I did not like how I could recruit my own units while in the lords party, it didn't feel natural (That could be an option to add companions). This creates a sense of developing trust and respect between me and my lord. There would actually be a message/quest telling me that the commander wants to talk to me (Quest), then I would go and he tells me of his respect for me then offers me the position (increased immersion).

- I would love if we can get "distinction points" with our lord. Through battle, promotions, saving them from capture, scenarios etc. These points could be accumulated and coupled with relationship levels can be used to influence/get rewards from the commander such as, ability to command more of their troops after we have received the right to command a small contingent - cannot control more than 30% of the army lets say. Can become a noble with their backing when you have enough points as well as good relations (if you start as a commoner). After becoming a noble can use distinction points as a means of improving chances of lord allowing you to meet their daughter. One could also, after becoming a noble, having years of service, high reputation and enough distinction points be made second in command of the army, allowing you to command up to 40% of men in the army. Then as second in command you can begin to influence; where the army moves to, attacks, defends, what troop type ratio the commander has; So you can advise him to recruit more archers/inf/cavalry. etc. You should not always be able to successfully convince the lord though. It should depend on underlying systems.

Additionally, you can get special equipment/items as well idk

- The implementation of titles. The game remembers your contributions in battle kills and maybe assists (if possible) and you can be awarded titles by the commander/faction. They can be granted if you kill a certain number of people with a particular weapon, mounted/unmounted kills, siege defence wins, siege attack wins. Whenever the character gets one their reputation will increase and their relations with the faction and all the lords of that faction will increase. The title name can get more epic as you reach higher thresholds e.g. Kill 100 men with one handed sword - The exemplary blademan. Next tier: kill 1000 men with one handed sword - The Blademaster.

The player can choose their main title which can influence how lords interact with the player during conversation. Acquisition of titles can open up new questlines and give you special dialogue options. the main title can be added to the end of the players name. When you go into another faction, they may acknowledge your main title due to Increased reputation but you wont get relationship increase with their lords. You would need to achieve them again? tbh not sure of this. It would be cool to have faction associated titles as well which can get you special benefits within the faction and you will lose these titles once you are no longer part of the faction - what those benefits are idk. This description explanation is rough, I know, but I am here to give an outline, not describe minor details because I feel like others can and will refine and improve these if they deem the general concept worth it.

Extra - Offer unique scenarios for players to be a part of: Some events that could pop up when the lord enters a town, after a battle, etc where you are prompted with a story in text or a battle and you have to pick from a variety of options. What you choose can influence your relationship with your lord, other lords, town/village relations/bandits.

E.g.

"After battle, you see a scrappy looking man looting the remains of fallen soldiers, you watch more intently and realise it is one of your battle brothers who did not survive the encounter. As you approach the frantic man he notices your presence. Wide eyed he immediately assumes your intentions and pleads for mercy, remaining on his knees. You draw nearer - your sword arm still no closer to your blade. Without hesitation his arms envelop your legs as soon as you are within reach. You look down at him at a loss. As you contemplate what to do next, he makes sure you know of the situation with his starving children at home, bereft of peace from the recent loss of their mother in a recent bandit raid. His eyes do not wander wayward, not even for an instant, until he has said his peace. He then lets you go, awaiting his fate - but not in silence. He whispers under his breath as he gazed towards the sky with melancholy - you could only make out two words... promised and tried."

You choose to either;

I) Kill him (increased/decrease relation with lord depending on their character

II) scare them away (neutral or negative effect with nearby village)

III) capture them and let the men decide what to do with them after you explain the situation (increased distinction points etc)

IV) Give them some gold and ask them to leave, making sure they know your name. (increase village relation/may affect relation with lord)

How would the lord find out. You may have a high rank in the army so soldiers are watching you closely and may report you or your lord is part of the event. Sometimes you may not get any gain or loss of relation with anyone.

TLDR; Allow us to be given command over troops by our commander after reaching highest rank in our troop tree and having good relations with commander, we are essentially promoted to a captain. Add in freelancer scenarios/scenes. Allow us to earn titles during our period in service they will increase our reputation and relations within the faction. Titles will also be brought up during conversations with lords even after you are no longer a freelancer, maybe open up new quests, however when you join another faction, there is no relationship boost with that factions lords. Allow us to earn a new currency known as whatever. I call them "distinction points" in the thread. Can only be gained as a freelancer. Using them will enable the player to influence troop ratio of commander, getting special faction associated equipment, suggesting courses of action regarding troop movement and objectives. Increase chance of lord letting you meet their daughter. Increasing the proportion of the army the player can command. NOTE: The players rank within the army, relation with the commanding lord and the faction, social standing (are you a noble or commoner) will need to be adequate to be able to take a course of action. They will also influence likelihood of success, so what matters is not only the amount of distinction points you have. And for certain matters the lords own interests may drive him to say no anyway.

That's all for now. What do you guys think of Freelancer mode in warband - do you agree/disagree with my suggestions? Want to flesh them out? Have you got more ideas to add? Feel free to share your thoughts!

Last edited:
I hope this gets implemented either by the devs or of course a mod. Reaching the end of the troop tree was satisfying until you realized that there was nowhere else to level up to. But this idea would make things even more exiting with out becoming a lord. Great idea mate!

I hope this gets implemented either by the devs or of course a mod. Reaching the end of the troop tree was satisfying until you realized that there was nowhere else to level up to. But this idea would make things even more exiting with out becoming a lord. Great idea mate!

Its nice to read your approval. I have been hoping that Taleworlds using their own initiative chose to expand the freelance path in Bannerlord. But they have not released a dedicated blog on it, nor have they announced any new changes, they have only confirmed that freelance it is in the main game. Because of this my expectation is that it was more or less a copy and paste job from the warband mod. Bet even if that is the case, would definitely love a mod to get this done - or expand it in more/other ways. If the developers don't do it. :smile:

I thought it was sergent mode where you are a lesser lord within the army. I wasnt aware of a freelancer feature. Could you give the link to the dev blog that confirms it?

I dont think so, you are thinking sergeant system as freelancer. They are two different things.

Sergeant system is, when an army is created all the soldiers of the lords who joined the army is gathered to create a massive army. Not like in warband, in which every lord commands his own troops. In Bannerlord all troops controlled by sergeants(Lords,companions,family members).
If you have enough renown as a commander (or maybe influence), leader of the army might give you the control of a group of soldiers.

I do not believe there will be a freelancer system in bannerlord, as in warband mods.

@Tabithan I figured they got it mixed up but for a moment he got my hopes up thinking I'd missed some freelancer dev blog :lol:

I do agree though, when we get a freelancer mod and im sure we will, it should be expanded upon from the warband version.

Last edited:
I dont think so, you are thinking sergeant system as freelancer. They are two different things.

Sergeant system is, when an army is created all the soldiers of the lords who joined the army is gathered to create a massive army. Not like in warband, in which every lord commands his own troops. In Bannerlord all troops controlled by sergeants(Lords,companions,family members).
If you have enough renown as a commander (or maybe influence), leader of the army might give you the control of a group of soldiers.

I do not believe there will be a freelancer system in bannerlord, as in warband mods.

My friend I am speaking the truth and found the source. Geez that took a while.

Its in this dev blog - go to the WHAT DO YOU LIKE THE MOST section.
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/261550/old_view/1649886349639154146

The word doesn't mean it is like freelancer mod. He just means he likes to do freelance, mate. Don't get your hopes up :smile:

edit: maybe this would be one of the features they didn't reveal but still I don't think so.

The devil is in the details guys. :grin:

It is easy to miss, and is from 2018. It is also in a Q and A so even less attractive to read through in the eyes of many.

EDIT: It looks like this is more open to interpretation than I thought so it doesn't undisputedly prove that freelance, as I understood it, will be in Bannerlord.

Last edited:
You may be thinking too much into that. I honestly hope you're correct, but the definition of a freelancer is someone who gets hired to do a job, for example a mercenary like in warband, and not necessarily a soldier in an army.

The word doesn't mean it is like freelancer mod. He just means he likes to do freelance, mate. Don't get your hopes up :smile:

edit: maybe this would be one of the features they didn't reveal but still I don't think so.

I guess you could think of it that way. But you could also interpret it the way I did. We will know for sure in EA I guess lol.

There Is also 1 more bit of evidence. In the gamescom build when you speak to a lord some of them say that you could fight under them. I cannot be bothered finding this one, finding that dev blog was annoying enough lol. I saw this in videos I watched on YouTube.

Last edited:
You may be thinking too much into that. I honestly hope you're correct, but the definition of a freelancer is someone who gets hired to do a job, for example a mercenary like in warband, and not necessarily a soldier in an army.
I could be but lets just say I'm not lol. I do acknowledge I could be wrong and there is no freelancer. But anyway the point of the thread is just about improving the freelancer we know of.

I got beat to it, but I think he (the dev) meant making mercenary contracts with differant kingdoms, like I enjoy doing to experiment with the tactics and such. Anyways freelancer was so popular you shouldn't worry about it because somebody will make a mod for it, probably before full release.

That leads me to: when is the dev blog coming out that tells us about modding, and whether modding will be supported in early access?

Yeap that is definitely the sergeant system.
How can you be so sure? This is just as you approach the lord in a non combat environment - like a castle not being seiged. Nothing in the text proves whether it was you being a soldier in their army or the sergeant system. I just figured it was being a soldier as it doesn't really add up when out of nowhere a lord says this if its the latter.

Look though either way this is not the point of this thread. I understand now that the term freelancer is broad so although the dev could have been hinting at it, its not enough to confirm without question. We shall see. :grin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom