corona? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

...The really problem from this virus is that it cause 10% people needing intensive care due by pneumonia...
...the numbers of infected is crucial, because if a big number of people from a nation take it, there are no place to hospitalize them all...

...the 90% of people have more o less the same symptoms of a seasonal flu or they don't notice anything...

ciauz^^,
Jab

...The really problem from this virus is that it cause 10% people needing intensive care due by pneumonia...
...the numbers of infected is crucial, because if a big number of people from a nation take it, there are no place to hospitalize them all...

...the 90% of people have more o less the same symptoms of a seasonal flu or they don't notice anything...

ciauz^^,
Jab
And yet, none of the people have immunity to this virus, well, not counting those who have been ill with it ...

up to 27* days
WHO has increased the risk of coronavirus spreading to “very high”;

Head of Rospotrebnadzor: “Today is the time not to leave the Russian Federation”;

WHO asked believers to refrain from kissing icons;

Chinese authorities discovered another coronavirus infected from Iran through Moscow;

Iranian Parliament suspends work due to coronavirus;

First cases of coronavirus infection detected in Mexico and Monaco;

Infected - 85187
Deaths - 2924
Recoverd - 39548

Head of Rospotrebnadzor : “Today is the time not to leave the Russian Federation”;
g7UAH.jpg

...Today in Italy, schools/University closed till 15 March, probably extended to April...
...all sport event/training outdoor/indoor are blocked...
...ten municipality are isolated, police don't let anyone exit or go into, all there is blocked and government talking about add more at this list...

...if anyone still think this is just a flu or "Can't happen to me, where I live, now"...
...well, that's what we thought two weeks ago looking at China on Tv...:facepalm:

Even though the cases of the coronavirus is heavily increasing here in the UK, we're usually just told to 'man up' and just take safety precautions, there was a mumps outbreak in my city in November (I sadly got it over Christmas) where there were over 500 cases in my city alone, and around 1000 in a nearby city. Mumps (if you didn't know) is similar to the coronavirus in terms of mortality rate, incubation period and transmission; nothing was done about it, people just got it, nothing was closed. There's also been a confirmed case of coronavirus in my city and obviously would have way more to come. It only really becomes and issue when LEDCs are infected (poor health care 'n' all that). In regards to pneumonia, you can also get pneumonia from the flu (even though the chances of pneumonia with the coronavirus could be higher?).

The only reason people are 'scared' about it is the fact we don't really know much about it, it's new, there's a higher mortality rate with the flu than there is coronavirus, people just overreacting as per usual.

Last edited:
there's a higher mortality rate with the flu than there is coronavirus
The flu gets to around 0.1% mortality rate in the US. COVID-19 has a higher estimated rate than that for any age group. Quick calculation from the latest sitrep gives 3.7% for COVID-19 within China.

Yes,
The flu gets to around 0.1% mortality rate in the US. COVID-19 has a higher estimated rate than that for any age group. Quick calculation from the latest sitrep gives 3.7% for COVID-19 within China.

China and the US are vastly different in terms of health care and population, there's only one confirmed death in the US from the coronavirus (I believe, even though there's 100s of cases). I mean sure, it's worse than the flu, but I wouldn't say it's anything too much to worry about unless you're 70 with other health issues. With the swine flu pandemic, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) estimated that 575,400 people died from the 2009 swine flu pandemic and 646,000 from the seasonal flu yearly (mainly in LEDCs). Nothing to worry about.

The only reason people are 'scared' about it is the fact we don't really know much about it, it's new, there's a higher mortality rate with the flu than there is coronavirus, people just overreacting as per usual.
...In past years I have never seen a normal flu virus undermine the entire health system of various regions like this cov-19 did...
...due an intensive care needed there is no more space to hospitalize all ill people and not enough doctors because they ill too...

...this is far away from a normal situation, belive me...

Fietta, please stop writing about this. You're being very inaccurate with the numbers.
Mumps is not similar to this coronavirus in terms of mortality. Where did you read that?
Death from mumps (typically encephalitis) is exceedingly rare. Not even close to coronavirus (covid-19) or influenza.
(It concerns me there was an outbreak of so many people, since vaccination for mumps is common and part of the MMR vaccine.)
So far this coronavirus has a higher mortality rate than the common 'flu', as Rajusa points out.

Fietta, please stop writing about this. You're being very inaccurate with the numbers.
Mumps is not similar to this coronavirus in terms of mortality. Where did you read that?
Death from mumps (typically encephalitis) is exceedingly rare. Not even close to coronavirus (covid-19) or influenza.
(It concerns me there was an outbreak of so many people, since vaccination for mumps is common and part of the MMR vaccine.)
So far this coronavirus has a higher mortality rate than the common 'flu', as Rajusa points out.

'Stop writing about this, you're being very inaccurate with the numbers', what numbers? I mean sure 'mumps' doesn't really cause death, but the complications with mumps (meningitis or encephalitis), just like coronavirus and pneumonia, the other facts were from the CDC. It's also why the Chinese government aren't recording all the 'coronavirus deaths', because they're writing them down as pneumonia. You're telling me to stop posting numbers when you've not provided numbers against what I've said or providing any form of argument as to why I'm wrong, which is an extremely silly approach.

what is this galaxybrain take :lol:

Unsure as to what you mean, even if the coronavirus becomes pandemic, based on the mortality rate of previous pandemics being similar and you're still living today, I'm sure you'll be fine. If you think that the coronavirus deaths would reach anything on the likes of swine flu then I'd be damned. If hospitals can't handle the amount of patients or it's from a poor country, then that's a good reason as to why you should be concerned, but the mortality rate is based on complications and the fact people can't get treated and not as a direct result of coronavirus. Let's make a scenario where all of a sudden it stops spreading and dies as soon as it leaves your body, the mortality rate would drop because patients could get treated.

I'm unsure if you actually even need to go to hospital for coronavirus, though if someone could explain what coronavirus actually does to your body and if you actually need to go to hospital that'll be great.

Last edited:
"it only killed half a million poor people, why do you care?"

there's a difference between not wanting people to worry unduly and being callous.

People are worried about themselves and possibly family members, but I'm making the assumption that most people here are from a country that's developed enough for it to not be an issue (an awful assumption to make I suppose) unless you're living in somewhere like Ghana. It's not about 'why do you care' but people aren't worrying about 'what's going to happen about humanity' but more so about what's going to happen to themselves, that's the difference. If I knew there were a lot of people here from poorer countries, I'd have never made the argument of it being a non issue. If you expect me to include the global population on a thread where the majority (if not all) of the people are European or American then that's silly.

Mumps (if you didn't know) is similar to the coronavirus in terms of mortality rate, incubation period and transmission;
This is objectively wrong.
Mumps is quite rare due to being part of the standard vaccination programs.
In most cases the symptoms are mild and generally don't affect respiration, like influenza.
That's why mortality from mumps is encephalitis/meningitis - not pneumonia.
It's contagious through spit and there has to be quite close contact to the sick person in order to be infected.
The incubation period is also shorter, and it lasts about a week.
To a layman this can seem similar to the coronavirus (I don't know), but there are very important differences.

(... fatality rate of mumps encephalitis is low and overall mortality is 1/10 000 ...)

Back
Top Bottom