Clans and Warbands

Users who are viewing this thread

JayWalker

Regular
Can a single clan have more than one warband on the map? For instance the faction leader of battania has a large clan with many members and there are several lords that are part of his clan. Each with their own warband? Does the faction leader pay them a salary similar to a mercenary salary in M&BWarband to fund their troops from the clan treasury?

When you become a clan leader and your children become of age can you give them a weekly salary from the clan funds to run their own warbands? I was curious about this but I haven't found any information about how it works. In Warband each member of a family was immortal and had their own little army if they were men. In Bannerlord will their be a seperate clan for every army on the map, or will clans have multiple armies?

As a follow on can you induct people into your clan? For instance your companions?

Can a single clan have more than one warband on the map? For instance the faction leader of battania has a large clan with many members and there are several lords that are part of his clan. Each with their own warband? Does the faction leader pay them a salary similar to a mercenary salary in M&BWarband to fund their troops from the clan treasury?
Yes, family members can be lords with their own party. We don't know how Bannerlord will differentiate between Lords and Nobles without armies, but I would GUESS that if a family member owns (is given) a fief then they become a lord with a warband.

Bannerlord has a more complex economy system, so I don't know how salaries work. You could always barter with a lord and just give him money and ask for nothing in return, but I don't know if there's an automatic system. It could be that the king has to pay salaries, but it could also be that lords have to pay taxes to the king instead. Who knows?

When you become a clan leader and your children become of age can you give them a weekly salary from the clan funds to run their own warbands? I was curious about this but I haven't found any information about how it works. In Warband each member of a family was immortal and had their own little army if they were men. In Bannerlord will their be a seperate clan for every army on the map, or will clans have multiple armies?
A clan is just a family. It probably affects relationships and politics. Lords belong to different clans, children are of course automatically a part of their parent's clans. We don't know how marriage work, but one of the spouses probably joins the other spouse's clan.

I assume that when a child becomes adult then they become eligible to run their own army. They probably need a fief first though so they have an income to pay their army with.

As a follow on can you induct people into your clan? For instance your companions?
Maybe you can make a companion a lord like in Warband, we haven't been told though...

I think it's to do with renown. There was a screenshot from Gamescom that showed the Clan management screen, and renown seems to be something that is collective for the Clan as a whole, rather than for individual members of it.

When you start the game, your Clan is 'tier 1'. Once your Clan renown gets to (I think) 150, you are upgraded to 'tier 2', which allows some sort of bonus - precisely what that bonus is is unclear from the screenshot, but it does show that reaching 'tier 3' allows you to form a second Warband (party) within the Clan. Presumably you can give command of this Party to one of your Clan members, if you have one available.

Then by extension, it stands to reason that further upgrading your 'tier' by increasing Clan renown allows for more and more Parties, along with perhaps other bonuses.

I think it's to do with renown. There was a screenshot from Gamescom that showed the Clan management screen, and renown seems to be something that is collective for the Clan as a whole, rather than for individual members of it.

When you start the game, your Clan is 'tier 1'. Once your Clan renown gets to (I think) 150, you are upgraded to 'tier 2', which allows some sort of bonus - precisely what that bonus is is unclear from the screenshot, but it does show that reaching 'tier 3' allows you to form a second Warband (party) within the Clan. Presumably you can give command of this Party to one of your Clan members, if you have one available.

Then by extension, it stands to reason that further upgrading your 'tier' by increasing Clan renown allows for more and more Parties, along with perhaps other bonuses.
One of the perks of upgrading your tier is that it allows you to have more active caravans running trade routes. Tier 1 is just one caravan, not sure if the max is three at level 3. Maybe its lvl 1 = 1, lvl 2 = 3, lvl 3 = 5.

The extra parties are really interesting to me... Because the heir system proves that you can change character and play in the same world. I don't see anything other than a game design choice preventing us from "hot swapping" between active parties on the map. You could have a party hanging around your fiefs and a different party out on campaigns. I think you will be able commit a character to living in a town/castle and change which lord in your clan you play as on the go. This would of course work for your children as well, and I think TW has been too vague on this, but I think they have hinted at it when they have talked about what happens when your character dies. Paraphrasing, they have said you have to pick someone else in your clan to play as. I think they actually mean that you will be able to play as any character in your family and you have to pick what lords in your family to be active in the field with an army. Losing a character to death would just mean the pool of options shrunk.

I really hope that is the case, but I think it would for sure rustle the feathers of all the players that already dislike the heir system because they just want to play as their 1 main character. I would love this change though.

If you are king it would make the most sense to either contract lords as mercenary armies and pay them a salary or give them a fief that'll pay for the army. Your vassals in turn should pay a tax rate that you as king set which would allow you to hire more mercenary lord armies when you don't have enough fiefs to give out.

Here's some screenshots from last year's Gamescom, taken from this thread:
Gamscom 2019 Information thread
Clan parties
b2H5E1S.png
InRMf.png
Here we can see that the Clans are at Tier 3. Don't know how high the Tiers go, but there's at least 4 of them (probably a few more)! At tier 3 you can have 3 Parties; can't see an indication of a cap on Caravans. Each Caravan does need to be led by a Companion (so you have to have a spare one in order to create a new Caravan); not sure if recruited Companions can command war parties, or if it has to be a family member.

Below is some stuff about vassal obligations and taxes, which @The Luminary was talking about.
Kingdom Policies:
-lB01.jpg
Policy Patriotism:
DeW93.jpg
Policy Charter of Liberties:
zHbpo.jpg
Policy Privy Council:
MkmQ0.jpg
Policy Sacred Majesty:
PlwXe.jpg
k31cg.png
JxCk7.png
2ywEd.png
Policy Scutage Tax:
UNq6B.jpg
commendations.png
patriotism.png
charter-of-liberties.png
privy-council.png
sacred-majesty.png
scutage-tax.png
council-of-commons.png

Last edited:
Very nice, having multiple parties would very much change the dynamic and strategy of the World Map part of the game. As a Battanian, it would be crazy immersive to have a smaller and quick party lure armies into the woods only to have my other party ambush the army from behind. ?

Very nice, having multiple parties would very much change the dynamic and strategy of the World Map part of the game. As a Battanian, it would be crazy immersive to have a smaller and quick party lure armies into the woods only to have my other party ambush the army from behind. ?
oooh that's clever

Here's some screenshots from last year's Gamescom, taken from this thread:

Clan parties
b2H5E1S.png
InRMf.png
Here we can see that the Clans are at Tier 3. Don't know how high the Tiers go, but there's at least 4 of them (probably a few more)! At tier 3 you can have 3 Parties; can't see an indication of a cap on Caravans. Each Caravan does need to be led by a Companion (so you have to have a spare one in order to create a new Caravan); not sure if recruited Companions can command war parties, or if it has to be a family member.

Below is some stuff about vassal obligations and taxes, which @The Luminary was talking about.
Kingdom Policies:
-lB01.jpg
Policy Patriotism:
DeW93.jpg
Policy Charter of Liberties:
zHbpo.jpg
Policy Privy Council:
MkmQ0.jpg
Policy Sacred Majesty:
PlwXe.jpg
k31cg.png
JxCk7.png
2ywEd.png
Policy Scutage Tax:
UNq6B.jpg
commendations.png
patriotism.png
charter-of-liberties.png
privy-council.png
sacred-majesty.png
scutage-tax.png
council-of-commons.png

Seems like bannerlord is very focused on clans. Like every army and caravan on the map is part of a clan. It's certainly a interesting kingdom management mechanic for democracy within clans, while being a king has less power. Clans get to vote for everything including being taxed, and even then it's only a 5% tax.

Not really a fan of weak kings. Wouldn't mind if it were the kingdom management style for one or two factions but if every faction is managed like this then I hope at least the clans feel unique with varying troops, items, questlines, lore, personalities/religion/cultures ect.

Those screenshots have reinvigorated my hopes for the game (not that I was hopeless, but I’ve been waiting for almost a decade...)

All I’ve wanted is a robust kingdom management and diplomacy system to make the mid/end game more interesting.

Can’t wait to get stuck in.

7:51, he previously paid for that caravan, and someone from his clan took the charge of that caravan. 8:05 he can add more troops to her party or take troops from her. I guess warbands would work similar.

I can see other applications of this as well, like using a small party to cut off a lord you are chasing with a larger army. or simply splitting your cavalry and infantry so that you can scout and flank with the less encumbered unit.

I wonder if this could even translate into how armies are positioned when engaging in first person mode. that would make strategies like this even more valuable.

I can see other applications of this as well, like using a small party to cut off a lord you are chasing with a larger army. or simply splitting your cavalry and infantry so that you can scout and flank with the less encumbered unit.

I wonder if this could even translate into how armies are positioned when engaging in first person mode. that would make strategies like this even more valuable.

That’s be awesome. Affecting the positioning of armies in battle mode via their position on the overland map would be awesome. I hope something like this makes it into the game.

I don't expect you'll be able to directly control the other parties in your clan. But I should think you could probably give them general orders, such as "Follow me".

So you might be able to do this by giving the bulk of your troops to your other party, and then leading the faster units like cavalry yourself in order to out maneuver and trap the enemy party while your Clan member's is close enough at hand to participate in the battle?

I don't expect you'll be able to directly control the other parties in your clan. But I should think you could probably give them general orders, such as "Follow me".

Yeah it will probably be like you mentioned, pretty much like when you had a Lord's army following yours.

Wow this is way better than I even thought. I love the idea of having a single clan that has multiple armies marching around. You can have them follow or maybe patrol or order them to go on the offensive. Or maybe they ignore you and do what they want. It is a great dynamic because now their are multiple tiers of loyalty. You have your faction loyalty and your clan loyalty separately.

The big question comes in when you ask are clan members 100% loyal, and somewhat controlled by the player. It is more interesting if they are not. Traitors from within the clan branching off on their on would be a fun and frustrating setback. You would have to learn to deal with internal family conflcts. That creates a new layer of kingdom management that makes the game all that more interesting.

Also it makes clan feuds more interesting. If you join a faction I don't think you could openly feud with the faction leader and remain in the faction, but I wonder if you could have internal disputes with other clans that are similar to open warfare. Can I take a castle in my own faction if it belongs to a different clan because I am feuding with that clan? That creates a cool dynamic where factions are limited by both internal and external conflict. Even if you manage to paint the map all one color this kind of conflict might make the game remain interesting as you try to hold the massive kingdom together.

Wow this is way better than I even thought. I love the idea of having a single clan that has multiple armies marching around. You can have them follow or maybe patrol or order them to go on the offensive. Or maybe they ignore you and do what they want. It is a great dynamic because now their are multiple tiers of loyalty. You have your faction loyalty and your clan loyalty separately.

The big question comes in when you ask are clan members 100% loyal, and somewhat controlled by the player. It is more interesting if they are not. Traitors from within the clan branching off on their on would be a fun and frustrating setback. You would have to learn to deal with internal family conflcts. That creates a new layer of kingdom management that makes the game all that more interesting.

Also it makes clan feuds more interesting. If you join a faction I don't think you could openly feud with the faction leader and remain in the faction, but I wonder if you could have internal disputes with other clans that are similar to open warfare. Can I take a castle in my own faction if it belongs to a different clan because I am feuding with that clan? That creates a cool dynamic where factions are limited by both internal and external conflict. Even if you manage to paint the map all one color this kind of conflict might make the game remain interesting as you try to hold the massive kingdom together.

Man, I really hope that there can be clan feuds in a nation. That’d be awesome.

Man, I really hope that there can be clan feuds in a nation. That’d be awesome.
That would be awesome indeed, imagine sending an order to your uncle leading one of your clan warbands to reinforce you at a critical moment only to have the bastard refusing in order to undermine your position and creating a rogue clan party that you have to defeat to not lose renown, relationship or morale with other clan members, like having to remind them who is the boss or showing you are a weak leader by not accomplishing it, with also an option to negotiate a truce offering something to him and based on your persuasion aswell and things like that.

That would be awesome indeed, imagine sending an order to your uncle leading one of your clan warbands to reinforce you at a critical moment only to have the bastard refusing in order to undermine your position and creating a rogue clan party that you have to defeat to not lose renown, relationship or morale with other clan members, like having to remind them who is the boss or showing you are a weak leader by not accomplishing it, with also an option to negotiate a truce offering something to him and based on your persuasion aswell and things like that.

So much this, disloyalty and infighting within the family would be great.

Also though if there are say 10 landed clans in a faction and you are one of them it would be interesting if you could go to war with other clans in the faction independently while still remaining a faction member. Yes you are all "allies" against the imperial threat, however that dishonorable lord uglyface said something disrespectful about your ancestor's beard. In some situations you might be in the same army fighting against the enemies of the faction, but in others you might be attacking his warband or his villages. It would be interesting to see how far this can go. Since the faction leader chooses who gains new castles (with others exerting influence) I wonder if it might be possible to take a castle from someone else in your own faction if the feud was deep enough. Also what if the person you are fueding gets voted in as the new faction leader? Can he kick you out or maybe revoke your lands?

That would mean you would need to maintain loyalty within your clan, foster loyalty between different clans, AND deal with the relationships between multiple factions. I think this level of depth of gameplay would keep the game going forever.

Back
Top Bottom