RIP Kobe Bryant

Users who are viewing this thread

RIP MASTER.

giphy.gif

Reinforces my view that helicopters are death traps. I don't think I could feel safe in one, they just have very little in the form of plan B.

It's rare for a plane to just lose a wing and most prominent fixed-wing aircraft fatalities I know of are usually user error at some point, if a cause is ever determined. At any rate, you have a fighting chance with mechanical failures flying a plane, while a malfunctioning helicopter is probably going to kill you.

Yeh I remember watching something once on how to **** around with the controls in a way that can create lift on a heli if the engine stops working. Quite awesome really. But the way I see it, helicopters are to planes like motorbikes are to cars in terms of danger.

But even though helicopters crash at a higher rate than planes, they generally carry fewer people,
and you are (slightly) more likely to survive a helicopter crash.
Helicopters also crash more often because they're used for emergency rescue missions (like search and rescue or medical evacuations, and military purposes of course), and have to ignore bad weather.
So I think common flights from A to B in good weather with a helicopter is safer than a plane.

There was this video of a witness that seemed pretty smart on the subject. His take was that the helicopter was entering some low clouds, couldn't see the hills ahead, and crashed right into them. So it's probably more of a weather thing than a helicopter thing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom