Modding VC: basic tutorials and Q&A thread

Users who are viewing this thread

TheBarbarian said:
but I've ran into an issue

make sure your module.ini is loading the assets in order (texture first, then material and finally the mesh).

You should also visit the Forge Q&A thread for general questions, as more modders check that thread.

kalarhan said:
TheBarbarian said:

make sure your module.ini is loading the assets in order (texture first, then material and finally the mesh).

You should also visit the Forge Q&A thread for general questions, as more modders check that thread.

Yup, as far as I can tell module.ini is in the correct order.

TheBarbarian said:
kalarhan said:
TheBarbarian said:

The Bare_Picts shader probably requires a DiffuseB for ageing in addition to a DiffuseA texture. Have you set this? VC Bare_Picts all use the same texture as DiffuseA for DiffuseB.

NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
kalarhan said:
TheBarbarian said:

The Bare_Picts shader probably requires a DiffuseB for ageing in addition to a DiffuseA texture. Have you set this? VC Bare_Picts all use the same texture as DiffuseA for DiffuseB.

It wasn't set ( :oops:), but after setting them, it hasn't made a difference.

TheBarbarian said:
NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
kalarhan said:
TheBarbarian said:

Your mesh is not ticked as skinned. Copy one of the original Bare_Picts meshes, highlight your mesh,  click edit on the menus bar & select Paste skinning. Hopefully that will work.

NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
kalarhan said:
TheBarbarian said:

Your mesh is not ticked as skinned. Copy one of the original Bare_Picts meshes, highlight your mesh,  click edit on the menus bar & select Paste skinning. Hopefully that will work.

Well, that worked, but now it appears as this: http://i.imgur.com/VYJZT30.jpg. Still, at least he's not disembodied any more.

TheBarbarian said:
NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
kalarhan said:
TheBarbarian said:

Well, that worked, but now it appears as this: http://i.imgur.com/VYJZT30.jpg. Still, at least he's not disembodied any more.
Check that your material is using the same shader as the other Bare_Picts.

NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
NPC99 said:
TheBarbarian said:
kalarhan said:
TheBarbarian said:

Check that your material is using the same shader as the other Bare_Picts.

Yup, that did it, thanks man.

Anyone know where companions are assigned to entry points in the player camp scene? I've made a new companion and his strings are all fine. He just can't speak the dialogue I added for the camp because he's not in the camp. I've gone into the scene in edit mode and set another entry point down but that's where it ends. I thought to look again in troops.py to see if entry points for the camp scenes were set there but they aren't. I finally feel in over my head  :?:

Vigdis said:
He just can't speak the dialogue I added for the camp

are you talking about storyline camp conversation? Or just the normal/generic dialog that is the same for all companions?

besides that: you can start from the mission template and reverse engineer the spawn code to find out how EP works for them

Example: mst "fortified_playercamp", which has code to handle the first case (storyline case), and the EP listed. By searching where this mst is used you would find this on presentations.py

Code:
          (else_try),#options to conversation camp companions
            (eq, ":continue", 1),
            (assign,"$g_presentations_next_presentation",-1),

(try_begin),
              (eq, "$fortified_camp", 1), #fortified ok
              (assign,":scene","scn_player_camp_fortified"), #
            (else_try),
              (assign,":scene","scn_player_camp"), #
            (try_end),

(modify_visitors_at_site,":scene"),
            (reset_visitors, 0),
            (set_visitor,0,"trp_player"),

(assign,":count",2),
            (try_for_range,":current_npc",companions_begin,companions_end),
              (try_begin),
                (le,":count",17),
                (main_party_has_troop,":current_npc"),
                (set_visitor,":count",":current_npc"),
              (try_end),
              (val_add,":count",1),
            (try_end),
and learn that the default system has a limit for how many companions can be added. Which you can change.

kalarhan said:
Vigdis said:
He just can't speak the dialogue I added for the camp

are you talking about storyline camp conversation? Or just the normal/generic dialog that is the same for all companions?

besides that: you can start from the mission template and reverse engineer the spawn code to find out how EP works for them

Example: mst "fortified_playercamp", which has code to handle the first case (storyline case), and the EP listed. By searching where this mst is used you would find this on presentations.py

Code:
          (else_try),#options to conversation camp companions
            (eq, ":continue", 1),
            (assign,"$g_presentations_next_presentation",-1),

(try_begin),
              (eq, "$fortified_camp", 1), #fortified ok
              (assign,":scene","scn_player_camp_fortified"), #
            (else_try),
              (assign,":scene","scn_player_camp"), #
            (try_end),

(modify_visitors_at_site,":scene"),
            (reset_visitors, 0),
            (set_visitor,0,"trp_player"),

(assign,":count",2),
            (try_for_range,":current_npc",companions_begin,companions_end),
              (try_begin),
                (le,":count",17),
                (main_party_has_troop,":current_npc"),
                (set_visitor,":count",":current_npc"),
              (try_end),
              (val_add,":count",1),
            (try_end),
and learn that the default system has a limit for how many companions can be added. Which you can change.

Thank you for your reply, Kalarhan. Much appreciated.

I am specifically referring to 'conversation companioncamp' where your npc companions request to talk to you when you are camping on the map in sandbox mode.

I actually did see that bit in presentations but dismissed it because all I looked at was  (le,":count",17), and thought cues had been imported from my changes in scripts (the creation of npc17). Seeing the original code at 17 count here though, I reckon I must have discounted the inclusion of the player?  :oops: :oops: I shall give a try to bringing the count up. Thanks again!  :wink:

Vigdis said:
I reckon I must have discounted the inclusion of the player?

yeap its a simple loop, just keep a eye on the limits. EP 0 and 1 are for player, 2 to 17 (16 in total) for companions, and the rest for troops to fill the area. Change it to whatever you need.

As you are adding new companions and all... don't forget to update the companion report UI ... also not made for more than 16 by default.

Cheers

Hi there so I have been tried to learn how to make a game menu in town castle village, and I have read a tutorial about it but it no result when I go to a town it show me a board of town description no moving scenes what am I missing  :sad: :???:

HarryPham123 said:
game menu in town castle village

from the Forge Q&A

kalarhan said:
HarryPham123 said:
i have one question, how to make menu in town,castle,village change into vc menu  :???:

if  you are talking about the scenic menu that VC uses: it is a presentation, with lots of setup and code to make it work. You can find some hints in the Q&A modding thread on the VC mod subforum, and the rest is up to you to study the code.  :arrow: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,347990.msg8476392.html#msg8476392

you don't need to handle the menu options the same way they did in VC, just remember as it is a custom presentation you are the one responsible for the X-Y position of each text.
if you need further help you will need to visit the Q&A in the Forge (or create a thread there), and include all the normal information (your code snippets, error log, screenshots, etc).

Cheers

kalarhan said:
HarryPham123 said:
game menu in town castle village

from the Forge Q&A

kalarhan said:
HarryPham123 said:
i have one question, how to make menu in town,castle,village change into vc menu  :???:

if  you are talking about the scenic menu that VC uses: it is a presentation, with lots of setup and code to make it work. You can find some hints in the Q&A modding thread on the VC mod subforum, and the rest is up to you to study the code.  :arrow: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,347990.msg8476392.html#msg8476392

you don't need to handle the menu options the same way they did in VC, just remember as it is a custom presentation you are the one responsible for the X-Y position of each text.
if you need further help you will need to visit the Q&A in the Forge (or create a thread there), and include all the normal information (your code snippets, error log, screenshots, etc).

Cheers

thanks dude and i have solved it  :wink:

DaKrimsonBarun said:
Anyway to change faction colours and unit names? Also is there a mod that changes world map appearance? Don't see any that do.

factions colours -> module_factions.py
troop names -> module_troops.py
map appearance -> see released mods thread

how? You need to read the first posts, they explain the basics and have links to the tutorials and the Forge.

you can also check the Morgh's Tool in the Forge for text edits, which would be enough for the first two.

On the mod I'm working on I'll have tier 6 troops and I'm worried that will mess up the "Troops Tree" screen. Can you tell me what I should change in the .py files to ensure that doesn't happen? If it's as simple as changing number 5 to 6 since tier 5 is the top tier for troops I'd be so relieved.
I'm not a complete stranger to the use of module system now but I am still finding it difficult to find things in that sea of code, especially when some of the things are written in Spanish which means I can't find them by simply searching for them with the Search function.

Also, I'd like to know more about weapon reach. How is it determined? For most of the things it seems like it's just the weapon's mesh length taken into consideration but then I encounter things like this:

Regular Staff: 167 length
Practice Staff: 200+ length

Both of those items use the exact same mesh but one of them has a longer reach which annoyed me to the point of having to change the Practice Staff item into something else since I was often getting hit by attacks that visibly don't reach me.

Templar_Maluxul said:
"Troops Tree" screen.

about weapon reach

Troop tree code in VC is dynamic (it uses recursion), so you should be fine without any changes for one extra tier. It tries to adapt size of pictures, positions, etc to fit the screen. Just don't go too crazy and you should be fine.
You can find the code on module_presentations.py and module_scripts.py, just look for "troop_tree"
Remember you can test this quickly.

0) Start game on windowed mode
1) Make your module_troops.py changes
2) Compile troops by typing "python process_troops.py"
3) Reload module (View -> Restore module data)
4) Open troop tree
(no need to restart game, reload saves, etc)

weapon reach is the mesh. What you saw were old items. The first few on module_items.py are hardcoded to use for the tutorial and you can ignore them, unless they are actually being used in the game (like a troop using that piece of gear). You can't remove the entries (delete the items), or it would break the game.
the practice stuff, as the name implies, is used to teach the player about the game, so they may also use some tricks like extending the actual damage section to make things easier.

Back
Top Bottom