M&B Graphic Novel

Users who are viewing this thread

Nice lines you have Ryuta! Her face, body proportions, the details on the armor... I just loved it.

So, I think it's the time to ask you about the background history. It's debatable and I'm happy to hear your suggestion.

In my view, the world was separated in East (Europian style culture) and West (much like Muslim/ Near East). They have been know each other, but the communication between them was virtually none, because of a huge desert sitting right between them.

Then, one day, a hero was born in the West. He united West and with buring ambition of uniting the world, pushed into West. When he died, his empire stretched deep into the heart of the East (approx. the world in the game).

Few generation later, the empire was broken into pieces by succession war and revolts. The result is multitude of small kingdoms and new ideas, thinking, born from the mixture of East and West.

Vaegis is one of such kingdom founded by one of prince of the empire. He made a pact with Swadis, then a tiny kingdom to divide their territory along Zendar-Four Ways Inn line. thouse two cities are left as neutral, independent countries.

So the story begins...

That fits with what I imagine.

One thing though I'm not sure if Armagan et al already have an idea of the background story they want. I'd be willing to help create a world (let other people create it) but if two months from now there's an update and they've done their own whole story and it's completely different...

Though on reconsideration it won't necessarily be wasted. You could always convert the story as created by the board into a mod. Like M&B Calradia - Alternative Setting or something.

Finally I've heard that in the next update they're going to expand the world map. I don't know how much. So your far East might actually be pretty near to the center.

Ryuta:

I am very excited by your initiative and I am looking forward to seeing more of your splendid work. Your drawings look fabulous and you can count me as the #1 fan of your upcoming graphic novel. :smile:

A note about the storyline: I would like Mount&Blade to be a generic game system where different modules can be fitted in easily. I would like to focus my attention on the overall game system rather than the official scenario and support community made modules to the best of my effort (in a way similar to Neverwinter Nights). So I would suggest thinking of your graphics novel as the basis of an original module rather than being concerned about its parallels with the official storyline. And about the use of romance: Your initial plate has definitely hooked me up. I think every good story must have an element of romance in it, so it would really be a pity if you leave lovely Xerina all alone throughout her adventures.

Anyway, best luck with your project...

Sheer excellance! wonderful pictures and I hope to see more, I am a great big fan of your novel already,I would like to see the novel finished as soon as possible!

GOOD WORK AND GOOD LUCK ON THE PROJECT!!!

Thank you everyone. I'm very excited by so many encouragements. especially from Armagan.

As he said, it would be a kind of parallel(spelling's wrong...) world. just I wanted to hear about the direction I'm taking.

As I planning the story, I found myself changing Zendar. I'm trying to keep it as in game, though... It now has a bridge, castle, parliament... I wish I could post tomorrow to hear everyone's response...

My view to Zendar is a kind of democratic, or republic city. Of course there's a count (Count Arrasies of Zendar, I think) but most of dicision is donoe by parliament, or senate, which acts as an advisor to Count. Citizen with some property, includes female, is entitle to serve as Zendar army (I'm thinking of mixture of Swadis and Vaegis). Along with mercenaries.
The city was based on ancient Rome, renaissance Venis and Florence. I selfishly reason that because of it's unique society (people are judged by their ability and deed, not by birth) attracts many people, includes our main chracter.

Another reason why I choose Zendar is I can put a lot of familier faces in my novel. Count Arrasies, Constable Hareck, Armourer Rabugti, Weapon smith Dunga, Prescan the merchant, Ramun the slave trader, Kradus and owner of inn. I'm currently spending a lot of time in Zendar, lifedrawing them.

I'm not sure posting so many drawings tasks the system but I add this for your judgement. This is totally new unit. He's a member of Royal houseguard of Swadis. Through the time, he powerful always recruit some men as a bodyguard, or even a kind of standing army. Huscarls, or House Carls are Anglo-Saxon example. So, I assume they sould have one.

He's wearing Brigantine, or Coat of plates. It's late medieval armour but looks fit to game than plate, and it's so loved by Swadian knights (in my game)
He's armed with mace and sword which is linked to, chain. I'm not sure about this. It's historically correct to have chains but this looks exactly like pierced nipples with chain. Should I drop it?

Tell me about your opinion on Zendar, this guy, and some suggestion on costumes etc.

Nice pictures!

I think the chain is a very practical idea, but I wonder about the placement, too. Someone can easily pull the sheild and pull the guy off balance. I wonder if they'd work better being attached to a waist belt.

That drawing is pretty sweet. You might also explore giving Zendar the outcasts of the Swadian/Vaegir civilizations. This would include both criminals who wandered in to lose themselves in the anonimity of such a diverse city, and disenfranchised nobles who have lost their holdings through incompetence or conquest but still retain some of their old monetary/manpower resources.

Just a thought. Looking forward to more badass drawings.

Thank you for good advice. As Dormi said, I'm going to attach the chains to waist, or somewhere near (swordsling or belt?). DJ's idea is also excelent and I'm going to incorporate somehow.

So, as reference, I'm using Osprey's series. www.ospreypublishing.com. They're the best military history resourses. Attachment is really on chest (I saw as many as three) but, the place is not Europe. So I have no problem changing the place.

For architecture, I did as many reserch as possible about the building in early-middle medieval. And, to my surprise, original buildings (outside) in game is exactly the one in game. large timber house wasn't developed yet. I'm going to mix European/ Oriental architecture in Zendar to look more metlopolitan. Hope I could post on Monday.

Costume would be similar to the game. But for wealthy, it would be more gorgeous and showing Swadis/ Vaegis taste (fur coat is in fashion, I think). I did not want to stick too precisely medieval europe so many citizen wears that purple hat and green hood.

I've been designing more about Zendar during weekend. I'll post it as thumbnails rather than hotlink so it shouldn't take long to load (so I wish. I'm not very good at these things). Click for better view (I add it because I didn't know it until recently).

This is Zendar overview and some sketches for Zendar banners

This is my sketch of how the town would look like.

Then, there're people. They're wealthy people (ordinary folks are pretty same as in game). Their clothes are based on the one in game with few original. They're made of better materials and with decorations.

They're Swadis symphasisers. Could be some tie with Swadian.

They're Vaegir symphasisers.

And the last is about your opinion. I have designed 3 different Vaegir Royal Guards (out of nearly 20). They'll make a little appearance but I found I enjoyed designing them a lot. Please tell which one you like the best.

This one's based on Turkish. horse armour is my own.

Left is based on early Muslim heavy cavalry. wears rectanglar scalemail.
Right is more M&B. Long lamerer is to protect legs while riding. and wears very expencive coat (maybe silk).

I thought the Vaegirs were supposed to be like the Normans? Like they are of sea raider-ish (viking) decent(sp)...? They wear a lot of grubby chainmail and carry axes. The Vaegirs you have drawn look like they should be black khergits or something.

Nice drawings though... wish I could draw like that.

I've always pictured the Vaegirs to be more Turkish and middle-eastern influenced. given their fondness for lamellar and spiked helmets. Sea raiders are your norse viking types, and Swadians are more generally western european.

I like all those sketches, I don't think I could pick a favorite, use em all :eek:

Hi everyone.

I designed Vaegirs based mostly Muslim cultures (Turkish mainly. it's my preference. Partly it's a tribute to the developers, partly because I had a few Turkish friends {I nearly got a Turkish girlfriend}, mostly because they're influenced by European cultures {from Byzantine, Crusaders} and influenced European clutures {military bands, for example}).

The clothes they're wearing are all based on the ones in game. I changed it a bit to look like there're cultural variations. You can see male Swardian supporter wears a purple hat and Vaegis boy wears a green cap.

For map, I've forgotten to put captions on the number.

1. Arena
2. Town Square
3. Parliament
4. Zendar Castle
5. Alternative place for the castle
6. North Embankment
7. Main Embankment
8. Fleet Base
9. Bridge
10. Trans-River Zender Embankment
11. Trans-River Zendar

xxx is stakes driven to riverbed to prevent nasties (river pirates and Sea Raider mostly) landing too close to the city.
Arrows are river trafic.

Back
Top Bottom