SP Fantasy Redwall Mod

Which scene should I start working on next?

• Marshank Fort

Votes: 72 53.7%
  • The Farm by River Moss

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • Noonvale

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Other (post)

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mice.
Rats.
Hares. (woot!)
Otters. (double woot!)
No badgers (too hard to do justice, I think)
Squirrels.
Ferrets.
Stoats.
Foxes. (need variety of bad guys)

Within the Redwall fiction, wandering bandit parties make perfect sense. Brilliant!

I think you should make 'alliance' factions: Mice, Hares, Otters, Squirrels in the good faction, and Rats, Ferrets, Stoats and Foxes, in the bad faction (but still capable of infighting).

so you play as a mouse person?

how are the different sizes going to work, will they all be animal-people that are the same size? because IRL a rat is significantly larger than a mouse, and a badger is like the size of a cat.

there has to be innocent woodland creatures and children for the vermin to massacre.

factions should be something like: Salamandastron (i think thats how you spell it i havent read the books for years), Redwall, Mossflower Shrews, and several seperate bands of vermin that would be like bandits. and you could probably find more towns to add but i dont remember the Redwall series that well.

Marrik said:
so you play as a mouse person?

how are the different sizes going to work, will they all be animal-people that are the same size? because IRL a rat is significantly larger than a mouse, and a badger is like the size of a cat.

there has to be innocent woodland creatures and children for the vermin to massacre.

factions should be something like: Salamandastron (i think thats how you spell it i havent read the books for years), Redwall, Mossflower Shrews, and several seperate bands of vermin that would be like bandits. and you could probably find more towns to add but i dont remember the Redwall series that well.
It has been debated how big the size differences in the Redwall world really were. I think for practical reasons, we'll need to have small differences in animal size. I do however want to have species affect character skills and attributes.

As for the factions, I have something like you said in mind.
For the "bad-guys", there will probably be Corsairs (maybe a couple of different factions), Standard Vermin (like bandit groups), Painted Ones (possibly), and possibly some Vermin Warlord (of my own conception probably)

Ruthven said:
"New mod needs modders" made me laugh. First rule of modding: DIY.
Ruthven...
Do I need to explain to you that the best mods are frequently made by a coordinated group of people? Do I also need to explain that there are no official rules of modding?

This mod has been something I've wanted for a while. Other forum members have also expressed desire to have a Redwall mod. Since no one else seemed to be making one, I decided to take the initiative to organize a Redwall mod. And it's not like I'm not doing anything; I do have some modding skills. There are, however, certain things that I can't do (or don't have the time to learn how to do). For this reason, I need help.

So basically, if you don't have anything to contribute... stfu and gtfo (and don't spam the thread please)

ares007 said:
Ruthven said:
"New mod needs modders" made me laugh. First rule of modding: DIY.
Ruthven...
Do I need to explain to you that the best mods are frequently made by a coordinated group of people? Do I also need to explain that there are no official rules of modding?

This mod has been something I've wanted for a while. Other forum members have also expressed desire to have a Redwall mod. Since no one else seemed to be making one, I decided to take the initiative to organize a Redwall mod. And it's not like I'm not doing anything; I do have some modding skills. There are, however, certain things that I can't do (or don't have the time to learn how to do). For this reason, I need help.

So basically, if you don't have anything to contribute... stfu and gtfo (and don't spam the thread please)
Eh, I was saying that as more of a subjective sentiment. Expect to do everything yourself and when you can't do something, then get someone else to. I know the very tiniest smidgens of modding, but myeh. Don't expect me to ever make a post that's suitably *complete*, everything is just half an idea... And then partway through I lost interest. Anyways, best of luck, I loved the books.

Awesome! I love redwall and I love Mount & Blade
If I wasn't so busy with univesity I'd pitch is and try to help with this.

Have you seen this thread? http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,90002.15.html Del is the man you want to talk to. Maybe he could help with some animal head models, or at least give you some advice on how to produce ones as good as his.

Edit: The screenshots are out on that thread, but his animal heads were brilliant trust me. I think hes working on a mod called "warsword" or something atmo, so check the skaven out in that mod to give you an idea

Ruthven said:
Eh, I was saying that as more of a subjective sentiment. Expect to do everything yourself and when you can't do something, then get someone else to. I know the very tiniest smidgens of modding, but myeh. Don't expect me to ever make a post that's suitably *complete*, everything is just half an idea... And then partway through I lost interest. Anyways, best of luck, I loved the books.
Yeah. Sorry if I was harsh, but your previous post was uncalled for and provoked a response from me.

Basically, if you're going to criticize, please make it constructive criticism and really put some thought into it.

(BTW, I think you should check out the "New Horizon's" mod for the original Pirates of the Caribbean PC game. It is an amazing mod that turned POTC into a virtually new game. Pieter Boelen has been the leader of the mod for a number of years now, and he is not even the primary "modder". He has primarily been organizing and compiling the mod (though he does some of the modding too). Through his organizing and leadership, the mod has gone on strongly for years and is continually getting better and better.)
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

so basically being a super-modder isn't a requirement for working-on/leading/creating a mod.

Anyhow, let's get back to Redwall:
Del has graciously allowed us access to some of his animal/people models as well as the implementation of new "races". Hopefully this thing will get kicking soon  :smile:

Indeed, I look forward to this mod. Will all of the animals be the same size, though? I know Jacques didn't make the animals real size, but the mice and squirrels are noticeably smaller than, say, badgers or otters. Hopefully something can be done for animal bodies.
Would be nice if Redwall were actually red =P

Kumoriha said:
Indeed, I look forward to this mod. Will all of the animals be the same size, though? I know Jacques didn't make the animals real size, but the mice and squirrels are noticeably smaller than, say, badgers or otters. Hopefully something can be done for animal bodies.
Would be nice if Redwall were actually red =P
Yeah, Maybe we can change the textures to be more "redish".

We may have to make-do with all animals generally the same size, but I'll look into anything I can that will give the effect of bigger and smaller animals. Artificial size changing things like thicker clothes and stuff might help.

Haha, I read those books back in the day! Power to the sea-rats!

Not sure about the map, what are the factions gonna be? If i remember correctly most everything that didn't happen right at Redwall happened accross the seas on various small islands.

ares007 said:
Ruthven said:
Yeah. Sorry if I was harsh, but your previous post was uncalled for and provoked a response from me.

Basically, if you're going to criticize, please make it constructive criticism and really put some thought into it.
Seriously, doing the massive majority of the work will take you much farther; that one mod you mentioned is nice and all, but on these fora, that isn't really going to work. You're intelligent though, and willing to work, so you should be fine. If you need it, this might help you out in terms of finding some stuff.

Ares!  Last I saw you was quite some time ago was in this thread!  And man those screenshots look so great!  So that's what you've been up to eh?  You have my support mate, as I've already mentioned -- I really love the Redwall series.  The Mount & Blade mechanics definitely aren't far off from being able to suit the atmosphere of the Redwall lore.

In relation to the poll on what the world map should cover, I think it should cover all of the Redwall locations.  My reasoning behind that would be too allow the mod to take place on a timeline past the latest book in the series.  Why?  This would open the doors for your imagination to come up with your own quest, storyline, villains, and generally just keep a lot of doors open for possible customization/improvement.  Why limit yourself to just one certain era of the series, when you can forge ahead and give yourself the freedom to almost create a totally new, dynamic, and imaginative storyline that takes place in the world of Redwall, but necessarily within a certain time period of the books.

For example, there is an actual Redwall game being made by fans just like you and I.  Although they've seemed to be inactive as of last September in 2009, they have gotten extremely far -- far enough to show video previews of their work and progress.  Take a look at this video to see what I mean: A Tale of Redwall - Preview Video 29.  You can also see the thread where they originally posted their project and started: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=19&t=85322&p=0

Take note that the way these guys choose to deal with creating a story/plot was to have the game take place outside of the time period of any of the books.  (At least as far as I can tell this is what they've decided on).  I've read through their original topics and also browsed through lots of other comments/sites they have posted their work on.  By deciding to have the game take place outside of any specific time periods from the actual books, they were able to conjure their own unique characters/quests/story plot that could make for a very fantastic adventure when played.  (If they ever finish+publish it of course).

That's just my lonesome opinion though.  You've got my vote for this project either way, I hope things can get off the ground.  I think I've told you my limitations before, but if there are tasks you think I might be able to do, don't hesitate to contact me.  I'll get back to you soon as I can.

For Reeeeedwaaaallllll!!!!

Qtee said:
Awesome! I love redwall and I love Mount & Blade
If I wasn't so busy with univesity I'd pitch is and try to help with this.

Have you seen this thread? http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,90002.15.html Del is the man you want to talk to. Maybe he could help with some animal head models, or at least give you some advice on how to produce ones as good as his.

Edit: The screenshots are out on that thread, but his animal heads were brilliant trust me. I think hes working on a mod called "warsword" or something atmo, so check the skaven out in that mod to give you an idea
That link is to this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom