[Outdated] BRF Edit --out-of-date, see OpenBRF-- (last version 12/5/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fujiwara said:
Does this mean we can now export the armor meshes and modify them? Can we do this without modifing the underlying animation? *exceedingly excited*

Yes :smile:

RR_Raptor65 said:
Seems we can't do bodymeshes just yet, it keeps giving me an error when I try to import bodymeshes, import/export for horses works just fine though... I'm gonna make a tank!

What error were you getting Raptor?

I have successfully imported a few bits of armour, so it should work...

Edit: oh right, do you mean parts of the body when you have no armour on? They need some flags I think, I'll check them out today.

I'm going to spend a while today looking for some other tools for those who don't have max or milkshape. If anyone has something that supports SMDs let me know.

And I'm really looking forward to seeing what you all come up with, feel free to post anything so I can put some pretty pictures on the first post :wink:

Ok.. call me silly here, but with this you can modify skeletons right? As in, make entirely new creatures? Can you actually change their animation like when they run, stab, etc?

Didnt know what you were talking about with that talk of me making trolls in my thread... now I see. Wow. Impressive, most impressive.

Uh, Thorgrim, buddy, hows about we change those icons into trolls? Buddy old pal of mine.....

Thorgrim said:
Fujiwara said:
Does this mean we can now export the armor meshes and modify them? Can we do this without modifing the underlying animation? *exceedingly excited*

Yes :smile:

RR_Raptor65 said:
Seems we can't do bodymeshes just yet, it keeps giving me an error when I try to import bodymeshes, import/export for horses works just fine though... I'm gonna make a tank!

What error were you getting Raptor?

I have successfully imported a few bits of armour, so it should work...

Edit: oh right, do you mean parts of the body when you have no armour on? They need some flags I think, I'll check them out today.

I'm going to spend a while today looking for some other tools for those who don't have max or milkshape. If anyone has something that supports SMDs let me know.

And I'm really looking forward to seeing what you all come up with, feel free to post anything so I can put some pretty pictures on the first post :wink:

Well that explains it, because when I went to put my tank in it also wouldn't import. I can try either making a vertex for each 'empty' bone, or a small triangle for each empty bone in the meantime. The error itself is your typical 'Unhandled exception', I can PM you the details on it if you'd like.

If you PM me the SMD and the details that would be great...

I should have made it clearer, but you need to keep the skeleton the same, you can't add bones or anything, as the same skeleton is used for all models (the binding is hard coded so we can't change that yet). The skeleton is only there for you to attach the mesh to.

Are you attaching your tank to the imported skeleton?

Thorgrim said:
If you PM me the SMD and the details that would be great...

I should have made it clearer, but you need to keep the skeleton the same, you can't add bones or anything, as the same skeleton is used for all models (the binding is hard coded so we can't change that yet). The skeleton is only there for you to attach the mesh to.

Are you attaching your tank to the imported skeleton?

Yeah, using the existing skeleton is a pretty standard practice in Half-Life, saves the time of having to make all new animations (Or you get the infamous grasshopper Padded Armour!).

I tried setting both plain vertices on the skeleton, and whole faces, neither worked, I'm going to try reassaigning a freshly exported skeleton from M&B to it before I send it to you in case I accidently bumped a joint while I was scaling the new armour down, it looks like that may be the case.

It should not matter if the skeleton was moved slightly, and it definitely shouldn't cause a crash when importing. I can only assume that the tool you are using saves a slightly different SMD format to the one I have been testing with. Would you be able to post what plugin / tool you are using?

Its the standard import/exporter that comes with MS3D, I'll zip it up with the smd for you to take a look at.

I tried reassigning the mesh to a new skeleton, didn't work.

I, by no means, have any idea how to do most of what's being done here (though it's fun to watch and the results are excellent) does this mean you could add a cloak to armor now? that'd be awesome, if possible.

octoburn: yes, though it wouldn't billow in the wind the way you might want.

RR_Raptor65: Thanks, I should learn not to think things are working right when its 3am in the morning and I decide to release something :razz:

I updated the first post, it should work ok now with MS3D SMDs too, let me know if there are still any problems.

Thorgrim said:
Thanks, I should learn not to think things are working right when its 3am in the morning and I decide to release something :razz:

I updated the first post, it should work ok now with MS3D SMDs too, let me know if there are still any problems.

Haha, been there. Thanks man, I just imported the Lorica Hamata with no problems, now I just gotta cross my fingers that I got everything lined up for it to work in-game.

EDIT: Yup, M&B now has the first piece of Roman body armour in-game, I think I should download that new version of the texture brf editor though, my Armour is blue and my sword/shield is pink. :???:

hey thor, while loading the objects_meshes.brf there is an unhandled exception, same with town_houses.brf, houses.brf, and churches.brf.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException: External component has thrown an exception.
at _CxxThrowException(Void* , _s__ThrowInfo* )
at std._String_base._Xlen()
at std.basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >.assign(basic_string<char\,std::char_traits<char>\,std::allocator<char> >* , UInt32 _Count, SByte _Ch)
at brf.StreamReader.readString(StreamReader* , basic_string<char\,std::char_traits<char>\,std::allocator<char> >* )
at brf.Parser.readBodyResource(StreamReader* reader)
at brf.Parser.readBody(StreamReader* reader)
at brf.Parser.parse(StreamReader* reader, ResourceCollection* res)
at brf.load(basic_string<char\,std::char_traits<char>\,std::allocator<char> >* fname, ResourceCollection* col)
at AnimationHacker.Form1.load_btn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

This is gr8 news thor cant believe u actually did it :shock:
So this tool can import and export both vertex and skeletal anims?

go's to check it out :razz:

Crazed Rabbit: No, although it would be possible to scale skeletons for all meshes, I don't think it would be possible to scale them for just 1 mesh. In any case, the editor doesn't support skeleton modification in any form yet.

cotdamn: thanks for pointing that out. I had compiled it with the old BRF lib, these will be working fine in the next version.

simpson: Yes, all I need is a good format for them. Although SMD supports vertex animation, I cant find a plugin that can import vertex animation data (though I do have one that exports it).

New version will be uploaded within the next hour or so... it has quite a few improvements :wink:

Once I finish my mod update I need to get this and read about it.

So its now possible to clone and edit the man body mesh? Give it a new texture, the works? Is this a change that can be incorporated into the mod folder or does it require core game file changes? Is it possible to link the new body to a facial selection in the face selection screen on load-up? Or is that a seperate issue that would need to be checked out by someone?

Ancientwanker: It is certainly possible to make a new body mesh, however I'm not too sure it is possible to choose which to use (you might have to replace the old one), or if you can use any new faces etc... I haven't looked into that much.

However it will certainly be possible to model a new humanoid or horse like monster, and simply assign it to an NPC as armour, making them look like that creature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom