Calradia - A story of Kings, Love, and War

Users who are viewing this thread

Captain Ruthe - Battle for Reyvadin

Although the battle was over, I couldn't stop the sounds echoing through my head. The screams - the whizzing of arrows and the clangs of metal against metal - the ever stinging pain in my shoulder. I clearly underestimated King Yargolek's power - it was substantial. I strained to think of what happened to Katrin. She was there, fighting with me. How unfortunate - I had promised her we would win and the Rhodhoks would restore peace to the lands. But I broke the promise - and I shudder to think of what is happening to her now. I try to remember exactly what happened - I know King Yargolek struck me down himself. I was there, with Katrin when a Javelin pierced my left shoulder. It went straight through my armor, and deep into my body. I could feel my lips get moist with blood and Katrin scream in agony. I pray that she is alive. I want to see her so badly, alive, and in good shape. Of course she would be angered with me...I had made her a promise, and look where we are now. In shackles, traveling to Bulugha Castle to be held in the terrible dungeons. I know what I must do - I must escape. I should find my surviving men - and Katrin - then run off. I could steal a horse. Yes, I can do this. But I need to find Katrin. I looked around, but all I could see was the circle of hardened guards around me. Am I to be fed? Am I ever to see the light of day again? No, don't be skeptic. I must wait until his men camp for the night. Then I'll find Katrin and sneak off. I'm a prisoner. They won't put me tent or anything. Tonight I will escape.

King Yargolek - The Campsite
four hours after the battle for Reyvadin

I have decided to camp for the night. Most of my men are wounded, so we'll need the rest for the long march to Bulugha Castle tomorrow. That fool, Captain Ruthe, attacked us. He was not in a position to do so. Sure, he had an army, but he was just another farmer from other lands, seeking fat purses and glory at his return to his original country. I don't regret the battle. I had no choice. But I wasn't really enjoying the battle as I used to. I supposed that I'm just getting old. But I did have a few moments where I truly enjoyed the battle - there was the leader, on his horse talking with his broad. He didn't see it coming until it was too late - I threw a javelin straight into his shoulder. The woman screamed. We had her captured and held. Gently, of course. Such a pretty thing, she is. Perhaps when we get to Bulugha Castle I'll give her a special cell, with a nice big bed. And maybe I'll put her "boyfriends" cell right next to it. What a fool he was to try and take my city. But the girl - she clearly liked the weak fool. And with that javelin in his shoulder I don't think she'd ever like me. I've had love before - I loved her when I laid eyes on her and she loved me too. But once we moved to the castle, she wasn't really what I expected. She never really was in..."the mood". And she knew I wanted too. She was always busy, bustling around town, talking to people, going shopping at the outfitter.  She always came home looking more beautiful then ever. But why did she try to look so good even though she never wanted to sleep with me? I don't understand her. And I still don't understand why she left. I was going to ask her to be my Queen, and we shall have an heir and my blood live on. The day I was too propose to her I found her bed empty and a note on her pillow. It read;

Dear Alon,
      I left late last night. I cannot explain why or where I am going - only tell you that I have left for a good cause. I know I never gave you what you really wanted, but I just have so many things on my mind these days. But I love you and I will write back.
                        With Love,
                                      Lady Isolla

I had memorized the whole thing. I asked around town and some of the locals say she left for Suno. But it is such a long voyage. I hope she is there and safe. I wish -
"King Yargolek!" a man burst into the tent, panting. "My Lord, two of our prisoners escaped. One was the leader of the attack earlier and the other was that girl we captured. She, she and him ran off together, sir.
King Yargolek's eyes widened. He sat in silence for a moment then stood up. "Send out the Slave Crushers! I want those two found."
"Yes, my Lord."
King Yargolek stepped outside the tent. The cold air and smell of wounds and fire filled the air. "Ruthe," he muttered under his breath. "I'll make you pay for this."

Back
Top Bottom