Berserk is fun! And everyone else's awesome moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Berserker Pride

Grandmaster Knight
          I know this is an odd topic for the mod creator to start but I just had an awesome battle in the mod.  Most of you have probably heard of the creator's curse.  While it does affect even me from time to time I just played an awesome battle.  Being the creator allows me to skip to the action as it were.  I set The Neo-Hawks the Beasts of the Interstice, and Gutts Kingdom to spawn at the very beginning of the mod.  I started as Gutts myself.  The first couple days were intense.  First thing the beasts did was make a beeline to my tiny kingdom of one castle.  I had put Casca in charge.  Poor girl didn't stand a chance.  I had to retreat and waited around for the beasts to split up a bit.  Finally a saw a good battle of two beast parties versus one really big Alliance of Paneria party led by the legendary Maximillian Kleinheisterkamp(He is a large character.)  The beasts wasted no time attacking Maximillian's Glaivemen infantry.

Poor infantry didn't stand a chance against the first wave of trolls and five cyclops. I hit the massive line with a couple blasts of the hand cannon which killed a few.  Then  I opened up with Gutts repeater crossbow which turns out to be really good at blasting cyclops heads off.  Four of them down in mere seconds.  I had the berserker armor active for this battle so I threw caution to the wind and charged in swinging.  Man the Dragonslayer is awesome.  I was hacking multiple trolls left and right who had scattered to finish off the last panerian glaivesmen.  The last cyclops survived a couple of swings then joined them.  I ordered my troops to do a quick charge which crushed anyone I had missed.  I noticed Kera fighting a cyclops all by her lonesome in front of me.  She took a pretty good hit from him and somehow survived(one hit is usually KO).  I jumped in with the Dragonslayer to prevent him from finishing her off.  That was the end of the first wave and I noticed the second cresting the hill in front.  I ordered all my men to hold my position and charged in solo. 

First thing I ran into was a few more trolls with a ton of gremlins thrown in for good measure.  Cutting them to pieces was awesome.  About half of them started backing off as their reinforcments spawned behind them.  Kept charging and cutting them down as I went.  I ended up mowing all the way through their line and ended up fighting at the enemy spawn point.  I opened up with 40 of my hand crossbow bolts on a formation of gremlins.  Man that sucker eats through ammo fast.  By this point the Panerian reinforcments were cutting their way through anyone I had missed.  I singlehandedly devastated two groups of reinforcments while any survivors met the Panerians behind me.  Evil Pirkaf started showing up with the other monsters which is as close to swatting flies as you ever get in a game.  I ordered my troops to charge in and help me finish the last of the beasts off.  I was pretty much standing right where the enemy was spawning now as the first of my sword sisters came crashing into my position.  I was just swinging away wildly and barely noticed that I had accidently wiped out a couple of them.  Man it was cool.  I eventually relaxed and remembered to hold down ctrl while I was swinging.  I starting jumping up and down with overhead strikes wiping out the last wave of Pirkaf.  Who fall exceptionally satisfyingly to the ground I might add.  But that battle was probably the most fun I've ever had in M&B.

Now this is without extra health being added to the monsters.  That is done just before release of a patch.  I ran into a couple Ogres who died in two hits rather than the ten they will take after release.  Even cyclops will be a little tougher.

Well if you like add some fun moments you guys have had with the mod.  I promise to release soon just one bug I need to crush.

Part of it may just be simple getting better at the game since I hadn't played much M&B since the .90x days.  But anyways, I think for me the most fun was the pure escalation of Gutts' power level.  You start out great, but as you play, you go way beyond that.  At first storming a castle wall alone was suicide, now it's all I need to do!

This mod is so hard to balance.  But adding the two powerful factions at the end makes sure that things stay interesting.  Sure you can wipe the floor with the initial five factions.  But so can Griffith and the Beasts even in autocalc.  The new version changes the form ranks ai to make beast forces fight way looser too.  It won't be as easy to headshot cyclops when they are charging from every direction.  And if you haven't seen my new screenshot of Barf's new Ogre check it out in the majestic screenshots thread.  Its so awesome!  Hopefully the mod stays challenging though.  If not let me know and I'll balance it some more.  I'm still working on a way to limit the number of elite troops you can hire.  Found a way but unfortunately it makes it impossible to rescue elites from armies as well.  I'd rather leave that in.  But if I can do that you won't be able to have an army with only elites.

Personally, I like that it's easy as Gutts.  He's, well, Gutts.

The real challenge comes as the non-Gutts sorts.  That's where I have the most fun!

This game really pumps up the difficulty in general with some factions.  I'm really looking forward to playing as one of the non-Apostle Humans, going Struggler for the Win!

Berserker Pride said:
Well if you like add some fun moments you guys have had with the mod.  I promise to release soon just one bug I need to crush.
I dunno, if it funny enough, but... Gutts is definitely tough guy.
mountblade2009-12-0519-16-31-94.jpg

It's just a flesh wound.  Wow that armor gives 30 protection to head but I am still surprised Gutts survived a throwing war spear to the head like that.

The game itself is really fun, fighting trolls and all that, but the storyline is far too simplistic. It lacks some twists and manipulative villians. Griffin wasn't much of a intelligent mastermind and Adon is just an idiot. Aside from the storyline being a disappointment the combat is great.

Ok so some companions died. So what? They haven't been developed enough to make Gutts say oh I feel crap they've died now. They are just more mercenaries/henchmen who died, in my eyes, rather than buddies. Griffin turning evil just like that was quite lame... I would have preferred something more 'epic' to change him.

Enjoyed beating Zodd. And don't get me wrong I did like this mod and appreciate the work you put into it.

Have you read the manga yourself or are you talking about the actual storyline as the mod presents it.  If you are talking about the mod well then you are somewhat right.  Its just hard to flesh out the story properly in a game format.

But if you had read the manga you aren't specifically criticizing the mod but more Berserk itself.  I don't know I felt one of the things the anime did well was convey the characters feeling and emotions.  I watched the anime before reading the manga.  It sucked when even bit characters like Gaston were killed.  Some of the characters like Corkus seem one-sided but later on when he explodes at Gutts in the tavern you realize there is more going on with Corkus than you originally realized.

Berserker Pride said:
Have you read the manga yourself or are you talking about the actual storyline as the mod presents it.  If you are talking about the mod well then you are somewhat right.  Its just hard to flesh out the story properly in a game format.

But if you had read the manga you aren't specifically criticizing the mod but more Berserk itself.  I don't know I felt one of the things the anime did well was convey the characters feeling and emotions.  I watched the anime before reading the manga.  I sucked when even bit characters like Gaston were killed.  Some of the characters like Corkus seem one-sided but later on when he explodes at Gutts in the tavern you realize there is more going on with Corkus than you originally realized.

Nope, didn't read the manga. Bah you can just say after reading Naruto manga and seeing how developed characters were and all the politics involved it makes me think all storylines like this pale.

Berserk is actually very political.  My mod does a poor job of conveying that.  People actually like berserk a lot not just because Gutts is such a bad-ass but because the world and characters are so well written.  There are few characters that don't bring something to the story.  I do need to flesh out the characters more especially the band of the hawk.  They don't even get any kind of intro speech.  Zenla has been bugging me to introduce an ability to wander around camp and chat with the characters.  Maybe whenever 1.00 comes out I should look into getting that done.

WanderingBeast said:
Nope, didn't read the manga. Bah you can just say after reading Naruto manga and seeing how developed characters were and all the politics involved it makes me think all storylines like this pale.

. . .
hehehehHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You've not even read Berserk and you call a terrible series like Naruto well written? Do you read Bleach as well and see it as a bastion of well-written plot well-developed minor charactrers and well-drawn backgrounds?
At least tell me you've read more than just Naruto...

But the fact remains I do need to flesh out the characters in the band of the hawk for those who haven't read the manga.  I'd guess most of the people playing M&B haven't read the manga.

Just fought the Tudor, captured my first castle crated kingdom of DZorro.  :mrgreen: This part i think must be placed in worse moment, kingdom destroyed by 10 lords of Tudor. That was epic. :mrgreen:

Berserk is an excellent read, though almost eternally dark. I'm not gonna lie, it gets pretty messed up at points. But if you can handle the intense gore, mutilation, purposeless murder, and rape (sometimes all at the same time), you get a deep story with characters who are interesting and fleshed out.

Naruto lost its interest for me when I realized the only thing I found exceptional about the manga was the strategic fight scenes, and even those got gimmicky at times. Also it has about a thousand side characters, but only enough exposition and storytelling for half that. The rest just felt like place-holders, especially that one ninja-chick who never, ever does anything in the manga despite supposedly being a main character... or so I thought.

She's like, the Rudolph of ninjas. And all the other ninjas won't let her play their ninja games. God, usually I can control the Christmas spirit, but this time it's just overwhelming.

Anyway, back to the topic, I can't count the number of times I've won a battle with my entire force destroyed and Gutts at below 10 hit points. There's something liberating about charging three archers with one hit point, and victory never fails to bring satisfaction after a hundred near misses in one battle.

One of these was back a few versions, I was sitting around with just the hero NPC's available after getting the DS, fighting the undead parties of 5-20, when out of nowhere I realize the pack I'm fighting is somewhere north of 150 zombies. With no help whatsoever (companions were all wounded or knocked out at the start of the battle) I managed to knock all of them down on foot. At the end I had no health, no cannon shots, and zero arrows. It was excellent.

In a word Awesome!  Zombies are a little harder in this version.  But I love being the lone survivor.  It happens more often in this mod though.

Berserker Pride said:
But the fact remains I do need to flesh out the characters in the band of the hawk for those who haven't read the manga.  I'd guess most of the people playing M&B haven't read the manga.

I'm  a manga enthusiest and i must say, ive never even heard of berserk until this mod, i started reading it recently tho, i finished pt 1

Evilknightz said:
I'm  a manga enthusiest and i must say, ive never even heard of berserk until this mod, i started reading it recently tho, i finished pt 1
Whole mod (and walkthrough) is HUUUGE spoiler for you then.

Back
Top Bottom