Economy II: The Effects

Users who are viewing this thread

(:) Dvd (:)

Regular
Welcome all! It is time for... ECONOMY II!

Today's daily session includes:
- Effects of Good Economy on Cities
- Caravans & Bandits
- How a Caravan Route Works
- Why do you care...?

1.) Effects of Good Economy on Cities
What happens if a City mounts thousands and thousands of Denars a day from trading and production? Well, it Levels! Yes, Cities can Level. Each Level the AI Lord controlling the City will randomely select one of 3 Attributes;

Power: Units are more Powerful (IE: Knights instead of Horsemen)
Conscription: More Units per Party
Bartering: More Gold per Succesful Caravan
Taxes: More Gold Daily

There are 12 City Levels, gained at different amounts of Denars:

At each City Level the AI Lord can also select a new Economic Building or Factory. This too is random. A high City Level also changes the gear found inside. Armories will carry more and have more expensive gear and weapons. Merchants will be chocked full of goods and horses. Taverns will have plenty of willing members to join a party.

So, Good Economy increases a City's Level which makes everything better.

2.) Caravans & Bandits
Caravans ferry Materials & Products around as Traders. They are automatically programmed with AI to do specific tasks. A common Iron Caravan will take Iron Ore from it's Home Mine to the nearest Forge to be turned into Iron. Then it will take that Iron to the highest payer and make the biggest Denar. Finally it will return to it's Home Mine delivering the Denars, which will be given to the Town owning the Home Mine.

There is a default of one Caravan per Economic Building or Factory. You can have another for a cost of 1,000 Denars.

Bandits will attack Caravans in an attempt to recieve the Denars they are ferrying back home. They might also steal the Materials or Products and sell them on their little Black Market. By destroying a Caravan the Town that owned it suffers a serious blow. They now need to donate a thousand Denars to create another one.

3.) How a Caravan Route Works
A Caravan Route is the path a Caravan always follows. It is usually a circle with 3 stops (Home -> Production -> Demand). Caravans travel along roads and are guarded by small parties of Scouts. The Scouts will try and engage any attackers heading towards the Caravan. If all goes well that the Caravan will reach a town, deposit it's payload, and head back to it's home to deposit the Denars.

4.) Why do you care...?

You care because the next part in Economy is...
Economy III: The Player Strikes Back!

-Dvd

Quite Nice. A couple of things though.

I don't like the idea of towns 'levelling up'. I think it should be more fluid than that.

A city that is successful with merchants and trade will make a lot of money. Lots of money means two things.

1. The Count can afford to field more soldiers, better soldiers, equip them with better items, and increase their pay, which in turn increases morale.

2. A high amount of money Per Capita will translate into more morale for the town itself. (Money wouldn't be the only factor that changes morale, there could be others, like amount of food available, or amount of the population currently away at war or dead). Basically, when a town raises its overall morale, it becomes more prosperous, which makes people inside the town work harder and earn more money, and also, it draws outsiders to seek their fortunes in that town.
Because of the resultant population increase from being a prosperous town, each new inhabitant will lower the money per capita by a slight bit, which lowers the prosperity and stems new people coming in. That way, these things balance themselves out naturally.

Ingolifs said:
Quite Nice. A couple of things though.

I don't like the idea of towns 'levelling up'. I think it should be more fluid than that.

A city that is successful with merchants and trade will make a lot of money. Lots of money means two things.

1. The Count can afford to field more soldiers, better soldiers, equip them with better items, and increase their pay, which in turn increases morale.

2. A high amount of money Per Capita will translate into more morale for the town itself. (Money wouldn't be the only factor that changes morale, there could be others, like amount of food available, or amount of the population currently away at war or dead). Basically, when a town raises its overall morale, it becomes more prosperous, which makes people inside the town work harder and earn more money, and also, it draws outsiders to seek their fortunes in that town.
Because of the resultant population increase from being a prosperous town, each new inhabitant will lower the money per capita by a slight bit, which lowers the prosperity and stems new people coming in. That way, these things balance themselves out naturally.

I said the first one already. The second one will really only matter under two circumstances which will be covered in Part III.

-Dvd

I meant that the Count should field more soldiers, etc based directly on the wealth of his town, not on these discreet stages called levels which are related to money but don't directly correspond to it.

I'm merely pointing out that there's a way of doing it without using the concept of levels, which makes sense, because a 20% increase in money available would directly equate to 20% more units able to be fielded, or a 20% increase in some other thing.

I really love this whole idea - however, I feel that town growth should be bit more specific to the exact materials that they get.

For instance, if they get lots of iron/coal and tools and such - weapon and armor production goes up and maybe the town becomes elgible for higher troop types. You already have some of this stated in the other topic, but it could go bit deeper :p

Other stuff, such as furs, spices, food etc, simply increases livingstandard and general growth in size and taxes.

By the way, if you've never played Patrician 2/3, I suggest you do that cause they have a very similar system for town growth and expansions :smile:

Back
Top Bottom