1866 - FAQ and Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Highlander

Marquis
Gameplay Guide

Move over there!
You can order your troops to walk to a certain position by holding down the "hold this position" button for a few seconds.
screen1nk.jpg

Warpaint
As an Indian character you can customize your warpaint in the warpaint editor available in the camp menu.
screen1ln.jpg

Ambushes
Yes, Ambushes.  If you become too dishonorable (or honorable), you're bound to make somebody want to kill you.  Watch your back as you travel around the world map, as bounty hunters lie in wait.  The more honorable or dishonorable you are, the more severe and frequent their attacks will be.  This might be a good time to hire a talented scout...

Death Cam
With so many bullets flying everywhere, it is really easy to get shot these days.  If you are knocked out of the battle early, you can choose to watch your troops carry on the battle without you.  When in third person mode, you can move around by using the mouse and the W,A,S,D keys.  Pressing TAB will exit the battle and simulate a retreat.  In some scenarios, it may be smarter to let your troops finish the battle without you rather than retreating.

Faction Relationships
This graphic shows how all of the factions can interact (which factions are friends/enemies/nuetral):

factionrelationshipmap0.jpg

Of course, the player is able to change their relationships with all of these factions from friend to foe.

Minor Faction Recruitment
You can recruit from both the Minor Factions and the Unique factions (Commoners, Outlaws,Deserters) if you manage to get them to like you enough. (You can do this by coming to their aid in battles).

At a faction relation of 10 (25 in v0.9.0), you have the option to start recruiting their troops.  But these factions won't trust you enough to let you recruit all of their troops right away.  You'll need higher relations to recruit their more powerful troops.  At a relation of 40 (75 in v0.9.0), you will finally be able to recruit level 30 characters, which are the most powerful troops the Minor Factions have available.

Minor Faction Disguises
The minor factions are poorly organized and can't spot a well disguised intruder when they encounter them on the world map.  Some races will automatically be disguised. In other cases, an appropriate item can help you blend in should you encounter them.  Here is a list of possible disguises:

*Note: Due to a bug, the items shown in red do not work in v0.9.0.  These have fixed in v0.9.1.

Confederate Renegades
  • Confederate 1st Lieutenant Uniform
  • Confederate 2nd Lieutenant Uniform
  • Confederate Captain Uniform
  • Confederate Cavalry NCO 1st Sergeant Uniform
  • Confederate NCO 1st Sergeant Uniform
  • Confederate Cavalry NCO Corporal Uniform
  • Confederate NCO Corporal Uniform
  • Confederate Cavalry NCO RCT Uniform
  • Confederate NCO RCT Uniform
  • Confederate Overcoat
  • Confederate Uniform

Indian Raiders
  • Warpaint (A bucket of paint)
  • All Native Americans are automatically disguised

Scalphunters
  • Scalping Knife

Imperialists
  • Mexican Imperial Hat
  • All Mexicans are automatically disguised

Don't have any of these items?  Sometimes a character with a high persuasion skill can talk his or her way out of a jam without a disguise...

Faction Relations Cool Down
Every week, your relations with the factions in the game will "cool down", and move a little bit towards neutral.  The farther away your relation with that faction is from 0, the more it will move.

How does my honor affect this?
Honor can be an effective way to manage your friends and enemies.  Honorable factions like honorable characters, and dishonorable factions like dishonorable characters. 

Honor speeds up and slows down the cool down effect dramatically, whether it is a positive or negative move.  At 100 or -100 honor, the maximum affect is reached. 

At 100 honor:
  Negative faction cool down with honorable factions ceases.

At -100 honor:
  Negative faction cool down with dishonorable factions ceases.

So if you want to make and keep permanent alliances, you had better pick a side.  :twisted:

Changing your command voice
The command voice is automatically set for you when starting a new character.  All of these voices were done by yellowmosquito on a Saturday.  His neighbors moved away shortly thereafter.  (And ladies, are wondering why you currently don't have a command voice? It is because ym's falsetto is unconvincing.)

If you get sick and tired of the yelling you can change your voice to that of another faction.  You can even turn it off by choosing the "Silent Killer" option.

guidevoicechooser001.jpg

Changing your culture
Want to start your own faction and conquer the land, but you are role playing as an Apache Warrior?  Do you feel funny leading U.S. soldiers to battle?  Then you need to change your faction's culture.  You can find an option to do this under the "Kingdom Options" menu. 

Changing your faction's culture will only change which troops appear for recruitment in settlements you own. It will not change those that have already shown up.

NPC Companions
Companions currently do not fight amongst themselves within your party.  However, some companions will refuse to join you based on your players race.  Many of the companions are roughly based on actual characters, both fictional and historical.  The following NPCs are available as companions:
NameBased onRecruitable byStarting Role
Charles HuntingtonFictional privileged pistolier from Boston. A bit of a dandy.AllCombat (Pistol)
Jackie LuongStereotypical Chinese immigrant working on the railroadsAllEngineer
The ClownA clown who needs a job.AllMerchant
Oscar HarrisonA fictional Australian who is fully sick with his pepperbox.AllCombat (Pistol)
Dr. ValentineBased on Dr. Valentine McgillicuddyAllDoctor
Carl BineStereotypical American victim of Indian raids.Americans, MexicansScout
Smiling RabbitSterotypical scout of the Osage tribe.AllScout
Bartholomew JonesBased on Cleavon Little's character in Blazing Saddles. He has aspirations of one day becoming the sheriff of Rock Ridge.AllCombat (Rifle)
Red Haired SallyHistorical trail cook from written accounts of Custer's army prior to the the Battle of Wa****a RiverAmericans, MexicansLogistics
Peyote PabloFictional amalgamation of a peyote and mezcal tripping bandit from an acid western and Petey Pablo. (lol, just kidding)MexicansCombat (Pistol)
Mah-wis-ahHistorical wife of Cheyenne Chief Black Kettle.  Her story is partially fictional, but based on the Battle of Wa****a River.IndiansCombat (Melee)
Hickory JimBased loosely on Wild Bill Hickok (James Butler Hickok) AmericansCombat (Pistol)
Romero aka "Romeo"Historical interpreter/scout from written accounts of Custer's army prior to the the Battle of Wa****a RiverAllCombat (Throwing)
Thunder SeekerStereotypical Dog Soldier of the plains Indian tribes.IndiansCombat (Archery)
Tears-in-his-EyesBased loosely on Loved By the Buffalo from Into the West.  Dialog hints at the desperation which led to the ghost dance movement in the northern plains.IndiansLogistics
Catastrophe JillBased loosley on Calamity Jane.  Her story has many similarities to the Oregon Trail.AllCombat (Rifle)
Handsome HankBased loosely on the fictional/historical American folklore hero, John Henry.AllCombat (Melee)
Norm FinkletonStereotypical outlaw.  Wanted in four states.Americans, IndiansCombat (Rifle)

What do I do with all of these prisoners?
Graile, the Comanchero resides in Khutu.  He will pay you for every prisoner you bring him.

Game start guide:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,93716.0.html

Weapon Guide
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,83944.0.html

If there is a hint you want to share, post it here and we may add it.

Don't be afraid to try the Remington M1865 Rolling Block just because it's a single shot gun.
Actually don't be afraid of any of the single shots especially the rifles.

Remember; smaller clip, more room for power.

I got a rolling block off some looters, and it's definitely a nifty weapon. Tides you over for when you get your hands on the more powerful revolvers. I eventually traded mine in for that indian-hating character's colt.

It's not a revolver and it's the most powerful of the pistol weapons and most accurate I use it as an infantry commander (along with an eagle sword)

rolling block is not suitable for human players i think. Because of lack of patience and anxiety in battle  :grin:  But it will perform well in your companion's hand.  Sorry this was off-topic

insomniac said:
rolling block is not suitable for human players i think. Because of lack of patience and anxiety in battle  :grin:  But it will perform well in your companion's hand.  Sorry this was off-topic

Heh, well, it depends on skill, ultimately. I personally can use it fine, but I still prefer revolvers. You have to really take a second or two to aim, before firing, sometimes. But they are powerful and accurate guns. You do have a good suggestion though.

FedoraMcQuaid said:
It's not a revolver and it's the most powerful of the pistol weapons and most accurate

I know. That's why I said what I did. It's very useful until you get your hands on the more powerful revolvers, meaning it's better than the weaker ones despite being a single-shot pistol.

I'm saying it's better then all of them  :grin:

insomniac said:

It's fine for me, I can usually pull off the headshot with it too (which always ends up a 1-hit kill on pretty much everything) so it's not so bad, but yeah, it's pretty beastly in the hands of Harrison.

Problem with oneshot guns is the "reload interruption" when you get hit. It can be very frustrating.

I rather use the Colt Walker, with +300 Pistols skill is a one shot one kill machine.

maybe YM would rather release a "troop guide".  :wink: I still have hard time with indian troops, which one got rifles or bows etc.

I don't think so...

Would someone mind telling me exactly how the "Defend the Hideout" Quest works?

insomniac said:
maybe YM would rather release a "troop guide".  :wink: I still have hard time with indian troops, which one got rifles or bows etc.

I put a starting troop tree on the first post.  :wink:

It doesn't have everything though, just stats right now.

Back
Top Bottom