New Companions Project

Users who are viewing this thread

It's weird.  I keep trying to come up with more.  Yet there's already so many in the anime and Manga, especially The Hawks, that it is hard to come up with something that isn't already covered.  Especially fighting style wise. 

Here's another attempt

Name: Ma Zhuo

Race: Human, Male

Origin: Other side of Kush - or far parts of said empire

Appearance: Slanted eyes, dark hair.  More specifically, colorful, light custom armor of a unique design.  He's an assassin from a village that's suffered horribly from the Kushan attacks.  Not a Bakiraka, but with similar skills.

0x000000037f00238b4d2faeb7a4ee553300000000001e35bd0000000000000000

Background: From the village of the Misty Falls (In translation), his people suffered a rather typical fate when the Kushan attacked their empire.  They lost in the face of the powerful and demonic forces.  Yet not all have given up.  Ma Sunzhao has followed the Kushans, waging his own little guerrilla war ever since.  Whoever should face them will be an ally.  To his own people he would be called a "Xia" - a Knight.  A Hero.  And he still considers himself such, even if he has to fight his battle alone, until now.  (I'd see him somehow joining up around the same time the major Kushan push comes.  If PC isn't an apostle in training, or isn't serving Kush...  Or with Falconia, if the player is and apostle in training).  Alternately, perhaps a prisoner in one of the newly conquered cities?  And joins you on being rescued?

Personality: Actually quite friendly.  A very loyal companion, the sort of person you want to hang out with.  Interesting at the drinking table, free with a laugh and story.  And there for you if you need him.  He's quite fervently opposed to the Kushans.  Yet that is it. 

Fighting Style - Some sort of flexible weapon, whether a 3-section staff, or a flying guillotine, or even some sort of 'iron whip'.  And if this doesn't seem to look good, then something else more distinctly "Chinese" - perhaps a Chinese style crescent halberd or Guan Do,  or even a 9-ring sword.  Essentially, just anything that looks exotic.  And definitely in the 'fast' fighter fighting style.  I'd have him as max athletics and strong power-blow and iron-skin. 

Flexible weapons have been kicking my ass lately.  But I did see a sweet pic of a Dadao just recently.  It's a pretty awesome looking weapon.  I don't imagine this guy would have anything against Falconia though.  So far in the manga they have been nothing but saints.

What I'd like to see is a horse archer hero (mongolian) or a horsemen who fights with a glaive (chinese warlord style)... both would be pretty useful and original companions but I can hardly fit those into the Berserk universe. The best thing I can think of is saying that these guys are from a distant corner of the Kushan Empire, but perhaps it would be too non-canonical... what do you think of the concepts BS ?

The one I just came up with would be a very good fit for the glaive (A Guan Do). 

And given it is based on the Real World slightly, no reason it couldn't be added.

Name: Dareth

"My honor has always been my life! Revenge and honor, thats what I strive for in this acursed land"

Race: Human, male
Origin: Tudor

Appearance: White skinned, has a mustache and no beard. He has blue eyes and otherwise he has the looks of a regular guy.

Story: Dareth was born in Tudor, there he fought in their army, his faher fought at Doldrey and was slain by the white hawk. Later after the war, he did not join the tudor civil war. He was one of the men who hunted the shattered band of the hawk, but when he recieved news that the raid leader had returned he stopped. Guts was rumored to have slain a hundred men. After that he wandered the world fighting for survival, until he recieved news of Griffits return. During his wanders he had gathered a band of warriors and now he is aiming for revenge against Griffith.

Fighting Style: Prefers a sword and shield, the shield must be small enough to fit on horseback. He can fight on foot, but he prefers horseback.

Joining Gutts: Gutts comes across Dareth in a bar shouting out his anger towards Griffith, you have the option to either ignore him or tell him about yur shared quest wich will lead to him joining your group.

An HA companion could be nomadic.  I have a few Horse Archers as part of the Kushan forces.  They look more tribal though not so much mongolian.  Your guy could be one of them.  As for the Chinese Glaivesman he could be following the Kushan as Dulahan has mentioned.  He would wear more Kushan armor but have a chinese face.  He would be a little anacronistic but not too much so.  As he would only be one character he would be more of an oddity than anything else.
Dareth could be a good everyman type of character.  Gutts would probably point out in there little conversation that it may well have been him who killed his father.  But he would also point out that in a time of war as they are in such things need to be set aside.

*puts on historian hat*

Honestly, even the Manga is pretty anachronistic.  We've got a guy based on a second century Indian King invading 15th-16th century Europe with an army that looks like it came right out of the late Sassanian and Byzantine armies of the 5th and 6th centuries.  So I don't think anachronism is a very big deal.  :wink:

Name: Mirtis La Morte

Race: Human Male

Origin: Unknown

Appearance: Very pale, as if he's Death himself. Has jet-black hair. Has a constant grin. Clean shaven. Has grey eyes. A slightly longer face. Wears a wide-brimmed hat.

Story: Has traveled far and wide, learning anything that he can. That's all people know about him. The rest is mystery...

Personality: Wise, but very odd, almost insane.

Fighting Style: Has a double-sided spear where the blades are connected to the spear shaft through iron chains, thus making his attacks more fluid.

Super Kitty Trollslayer:
Your idea has a serious lack of substance, might want to add to it before throwing it out there. Even if only to better your chances.

I'm getting really close to having enough maybe only need five more here is the complete list.
Casca
Rickert
Farnese
Serpico
Erica
Shierke
Evarella
Puck
Silat
Morgan
Monkey boy(you know who I mean)
Theresa
Azan
Valonne
Deatheye
Percus
Berserker Roberts(no description yet he uses the Berserker's Pride)
Karl Tronsbergen
Jango the Slayer
Dareth
Inspector Garrov
Lysette
Ma Zhou
Dankell
Dasharon
Korven
Grimbold?(I might think of a new name he sounds too dwarfish or giantish)
Magnifico de Vandimon
Roderick

Wow that is 29.  That could be enough depending how I want to split up the possibility to get one depending on who the player is.  For example Gutts kingdom will have its own lords comprised of Gutts band and any heroes that wouldn't join you.  This would be if you aren't Gutts in the story.

Also Percus and Deatheye do you have a little bit of backstories for your characters?  Seeing as you are both cameos you don't have to have a huge extended story behind them but a quick one would be helpful.  Stuff like who they previously worked for and maybe a bit about their personality.
So far you get Deatheye from one of the Forest bandit chiefs and Percus you get from a royal lancer(as he uses the same armor.  So far I have him as a loyal midland soldier.  Not big on leadership but a trustworthy guy but that is a 2 second backstory feel free to change it.

Also MorrisB about Jango he would join Gutts under the right situation right?  I've just been adding the intro dialogues about the new characters.  Lysette ended up with an interesting intro where she reveals that she is really a woman(as musketeers aren't women it wouldn't make sense for one of them to morf into a female.) This actually fits perfectly with her backstory.

You keeping the whole "Get the NPCs after 60 days of X troop type in army?" thing?  Or will it be a new method?

Including like the Royal Lancer and Forest Bandit Chief ones? 

Yea I am going to keep that method for a lot of the characters.  It forces you to build your forces and companion pool gradually.  Deatheye is a bit of a special character so it isn't easy to get him(Forest Chief's are rare only one per enemy forest bandit party.)

My char:

Name: Death Eye (his real name is unknown)

Race: Human Male

Origin: Holy See

Appearance: He wears a hood so you can not see his face. Also he wears armor that he hides with a robe.

Story: Death Eye lived in a noble family until his family was executed by an high ranked general. After that he left Holy See and began a new life. As he traveled through the land, he met a group of assassins. Death Eye joined them as a recruit. After many years of training and many assassinations later Death Eye became  a master assassin. He assassinated the general but the general was still alive because he was a demon. Death Eye fought against him and lost but he managed to escape.

Personality:Wants revenge, Brutal, loves to kill and uses all methods to kill his target.

@Berserker Pride: whoa, good thing you reminded me of "Staff Characters". We have 29 companions already ? Wow. Didn't notice. Really...

In any case, I think each of us should think of how these companions would get hired. Sure, a couple of them could show up in Taverns, as it is a typical place to find mercenaries, but it should be a challenge to get the majority. You mentioned Jango, for example. I thought Jango could randomly spawn in the map with a small group of Bakiraka Assassins and Bakiraka Huntresses and roam around, hunting the Beasts (trolls, ogres etc.). In case his group falls, he respawns. When spotted, the Player may decide to give a hand in his battles. At first, he tells you off. Second time he makes note of your skills. Third time he compliments. Finally, fourth time he offers to join your band or something. I don't know if this is possible to code, maybe some triggered quickbattles would be easier to make (let's say you approach Jango and the trigger activates the quickbattle, then speak-Jango disappears-spawns at a different location-follow and trigger next quickbattle-etc...).

I'm not going to have any in taverns. Taverns are a good place to find mercs but not trustworthy companions.  A lot of them will use the upgrade to a hero method and a few will seek you out after your kingdom gets established. In particular Jango and Dasharon are necessary for your kingdom to get Bakiraka training and gunpowder weapons respectively. In a future version I will probably have you meet Jango in the field but for this version he will come to you. He will join Gutts but doesn't trust him enough to bring the Bakiraka with him. Now that kingdom management is finally complete I just need joining dialogue for all the companions.  This just leaves transforming apostles, the Black Swordsman arc, and the becoming an apostle quests to complete.  And the Theresa/Big Sister/Karl Tronsbergen stories.  I'd also like to look at being able to hire mercenary commanders from taverns.  A lot of players will probably want to promote their companions to vassals as soon as possible.

EDIT: Except for that one guy of Kazzans. He will be the only one to show up in a tavern.

i have an idea for a Companion more like a teen who's family was killed and you are the last guardian for him.

NAME:  Tsunai

Race: half elf / or human (either one you want)

Appearance: 5'10'' Blue eyes Black hair like Aragons for LOTR

Background:  Family killed in a bandit raid comes to you because you are the last Guardian for him

Personality:  Sometimes Down and gloomy loves to kill bandits,  fight ect.

Fighting style: Ranged/melee Uses longbow and one handed swords light armor no helm maybe a hood 

MorrisB? I've seen the light, I love your characters, and am glad they take up the majority of the spaces for original characters in this mod.
Not half as 'original character' as some of these other ones...

The ones on the list look good, it'll be interesting to encounter them in the updated version of the game (having all that backup will be a serious boon, walkthrough will need some details on how knigdom management will work in this BP, sounds like it'll be time-consuming but rewarding)

Yeah it will be important to spell it out.  In truth though the rules of the new kingdom management system are fairly simple.

Back
Top Bottom