Download link and main info! [latest ver 0.0.82e -- 19 Jun 2016]

Users who are viewing this thread

Antonis said:
Hello, just a qusetion. Why is my "paste rigging" option greyed out? It is making things a lot, lot more difficult for vertex animations. Thank you!

You need to have a rigged mesh copied in the clipboard first for the option to work.

That's my problem, I have it copied. But the option is greyed out, still. I have made scabbard meshes, or more likely, used the native models for only the scabbard meshes in order to combine them with Raptor's old OSP sword pack. So, I made some quick scabbards that look nice(for my own game, not any mod) and I need to vertex animate them. I copy the rigged mesh, but still, the option paste rigging is left greyed out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the fast reply, though, Swyter!  :smile:

Antonis said:
That's my problem, I have it copied. But the option is greyed out, still. I have made scabbard meshes, or more likely, used the native models for only the scabbard meshes in order to combine them with Raptor's old OSP sword pack. So, I made some quick scabbards that look nice(for my own game, not any mod) and I need to vertex animate them. I copy the rigged mesh, but still, the option paste rigging is left greyed out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the fast reply, though, Swyter!  :smile:

I don't think scabbards are rigged. They get attached to the agent's bones directly... Just like hands, heads and some kinds of boots.

Working with vertex frames directly in OpenBRF makes the thing a bit more tricky. As the Paste next vertex frame mechanism depends on the vertex number you can't just use a similar mesh, it has to be *exactly* the same or it will glitch out.

I tend to copy the original mesh in OpenBRF, then split that copy in parts, downsize the swords parts to microscopic dimensions hiding it inside of the sheathe (remember that all the vertex animation frames must have the same vertex and triangles, the *only* thing you can change between frames is vertex positioning) to end up merging the parts up, copying the resulting mesh and pasting it as an additional frame in the original mesh.

But you don't need to limit yourself to editing in OpenBRF, you can export a frame as OBJ and edit it in something like Blender, ensuring that when you imp/export you always keep the vertex order and don't alter the topology, just the vertex positions (there's an option for that).

Also, ensure that you add the correct number of frames and get their individual timing right. Otherwise the swordless version won't appear correctly in-game.

Thank you, man, great as always. I'll give it a shot with Blender, as it is the software I am most experienced with. Thank you very much for pointing me into a definite direction.  :smile:

Basically, i'm trying to add a sword from one mod to another. We'll call them Mod X (the mod containing the sword I want) and Mod Y (the mod that I am trying to add the sword into). I can view the sword fine while it's in Mod X's directory and while Mod X is my active module, but when I move the files to Mod Y (brf's and texture's both) and view the brf's from Mod Y, there is no texture displaying and no texture is shown in game, despite the successful addition of the new models (changed mesh on my weapon so i can confirm that the models are in game and working.) basically my question is how do you link a texture to a mesh? Is it done in openBRF? Also, if you could message me the answer it would be preferred, as I am new to forums entirely and navigation is slightly hard for me :s

Wow. Breakthrough. I got a good handful of items to work in game! Although a few of my desired items textures are still yet to be found, I'm gladly equipped with a brand new, unique set of armor that I've been at for days! New problem has arisen, though. My sword that I've imported goes into game fine, but it seems to want to be a scabbard. When i unsheath the weapon from my characters hip, it stays there and he is holding an invisible sword. I mean, that would be great and all if I was trying to assassinate the emperor, but alas, I am not and it bothers me. It seems that my sword model is currently recognized as a scabbard, like I said, but there is no alternate scabbard model for it. I'm not quite sure how to fix this? I would love a quick bit of help, thanks in advance :smile:

emw98 said:
Basically, i'm trying to add a sword from one mod to another. We'll call them Mod X (the mod containing the sword I want) and Mod Y (the mod that I am trying to add the sword into). I can view the sword fine while it's in Mod X's directory and while Mod X is my active module, but when I move the files to Mod Y (brf's and texture's both) and view the brf's from Mod Y, there is no texture displaying and no texture is shown in game, despite the successful addition of the new models (changed mesh on my weapon so i can confirm that the models are in game and working.) basically my question is how do you link a texture to a mesh? Is it done in openBRF? Also, if you could message me the answer it would be preferred, as I am new to forums entirely and navigation is slightly hard for me :s

Wow. Breakthrough. I got a good handful of items to work in game! Although a few of my desired items textures are still yet to be found, I'm gladly equipped with a brand new, unique set of armor that I've been at for days! New problem has arisen, though. My sword that I've imported goes into game fine, but it seems to want to be a scabbard. When i unsheath the weapon from my characters hip, it stays there and he is holding an invisible sword. I mean, that would be great and all if I was trying to assassinate the emperor, but alas, I am not and it bothers me. It seems that my sword model is currently recognized as a scabbard, like I said, but there is no alternate scabbard model for it. I'm not quite sure how to fix this? I would love a quick bit of help, thanks in advance :smile:

Weapons are embedded in the scabbard model, and can be set separately in
Code:
module_items.py

You probably want to do it with OpenBRF, to get a good reference find a existing scabbard from Native and play the timeline to see its vertex animation, every frame is a different mode.

You'll see that most scabbards have three frames, the first two (0 and 1) have timing 0 and represent the sheathed weapon, the third (frame 2) and final frame has timing 10 and represents just the empty scabbard.

You may be asking yourself how to create vertex animations in OpenBRF. Well, just create a model with the weapon in the scabbard, positioned at the right place, adjust until it looks good in-game (search for
Code:
ixmesh_carry
in
Code:
module_items.py
and you'll see what I mean). Then go back into your 3D editor and select the weapon part and scale it down until is tiny and hidden. Remember that you can't delete any vertices in a vertex animation, so every frame has to share the same amount of vertex with the rest, you can just change their positions. That's why is specially important to keep the same vertex order at export-time. Finally use the Edit menu in OpenBRF to copy the mesh as an animation frame, paste it over itself to have two identical frames, then import the unsheathed version, copy it as a frame, and paste it in the same place to have our three frames. Then adjust their timing (this is specially important as frame number does not mean anything by itself without the right timing) and set it to zero, zero and ten, respectively.

Finally, add the new scabbard mesh name in the mesh tuple of your item as
Code:
ixmesh_carry
. You are done.

--

Here's a better rundown by mtarini about doing it all within OpenBRF without having to re-export:
Code:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,336351.msg8049229.html#msg8049229

(You can split, translate, rotate, scale individual parts, and merge meshes without leaving OpenBRF, pretty handy!)

I created an item on wings3d. Then created one more. I thought that's enough. I opened a guide in forum about how to add item on brf. The guide says "open the openbrf,click to "Open" and go to the commonres. Then click materials.brf. Then delete all files in materials.brf and copy them to the your module's Resource file. Do it same to weapons_meshes1." I opened openbrf. Clicked "Open" and went to Commonres. Clicked materials. Deleted all files in materials.brf but I didn't look "copy them to the your module's Resource file.". Then I refreshed all files in Commonres and saw "copy them to the your module's resource file" It's giving these errors:
First error giving when I open openbrf:
http://i.hizliresim.com/z5yLLg.png
Then giving that:
http://i.hizliresim.com/QByNry.png

And when I clicking any file in Openbrf (clicking to open)
http://i.hizliresim.com/rMypnm.png
and then giving:
http://i.hizliresim.com/JAWNP5.png
then again giving first error. What should I do?

Alo Cabbar said:
I created an item on wings3d. Then created one more. I thought that's enough. I opened a guide in forum about how to add item on brf. The guide says "open the openbrf,click to "Open" and go to the commonres. Then click materials.brf. Then delete all files in materials.brf and copy them to the your module's Resource file. Do it same to weapons_meshes1." I opened openbrf. Clicked "Open" and went to Commonres. Clicked materials. Deleted all files in materials.brf but I didn't look "copy them to the your module's Resource file.". Then I refreshed all files in Commonres and saw "copy them to the your module's resource file" It's giving these errors:
Then giving that:

and then giving:

Um, that's Thorgrim's BRFEdit.

That's the original program Thorgrim created to edit Mount&Blade resources, and works only with the original game.
We used that one until Marco Tarini created OpenBRF, which is open source, opens Warband and Old M&B files alike, and is better in just any other way.

So yeah, bizarrely enough you are just using the wrong thing. Download OpenBRF from the first post.

Swyter said:
Alo Cabbar said:
Then giving that:

and then giving:

That's the original program Thorgrim created to edit Mount&Blade resources, and works only with the original game.
We used that one until Marco Tarini created OpenBRF, which is open source, opens Warband and Old M&B files alike, and is better in just any other way.

So yeah, bizarrely enough you are just using the wrong thing. Download OpenBRF from the first post.
It seems different but it not affecting anything right?

Alo Cabbar said:
Swyter said:
Alo Cabbar said:
Then giving that:

and then giving:

It seems different but it not affecting anything right?

BRFEdit = Bad, old, don't use that, does not work. OpenBRF = Good, new, Warband-compatible, use it for everything.

Hello everybody

As many must have noticed, there's been a lack of updates and advancements for OpenBRF in the last two years, and even of maintenance (fixing of newly reported bugs).

This is due to a combination of factors: RL, and the more-or-less complete status of this project for example... but also that I accidentally lost my latest sources (ironical, for an open source thing), so any update implies either the re-coding or the loss of the features added in the latest version (0.0.81), which unfortunately weren't negligible.  Yeah I know, silly of me to lose sources like that (stolen computer, BTW), with all the tools that exist nowadays to prevent such fates.

Anyway, I always wanted to fix this situation. Re-coding things is always a bit psychologically fatiguing (for me) but I'm considering it, also with the upcoming Bannerlord in mind.

Predictably, BL will necessitates changes, more or less revolutionary in nature. Possibilities range from a separate "bannerlord" OpenBRF edition, to minor compatibility updates. Another, separate side idea is that OpenBRF could become a more general tool than just M&B saga, but let's not digress.

That's it. Just letting you know. Share your thoughts or info maybe. Including: how many people do you think are still using this tool? And BL related info which might affect OpenBRF: if you know something, let me know.

I'll just say that your contributions to the community are enormously appreciated and it is impossible to overstate how useful OpenBRF has been. I wish I had time to do modding more regularly because you have implemented some functionalities that seem tailor-made to my needs. Ah well, as you said: Real life does tend to get in the way.

If I do get back into some more serious modding with Bannerlord, this will be the first place I'll check.

First of all, like everyone else, I should also thank you for this amazing tool. I used OpenBRF many times and I'm still using it from time to time even tho I quit doing mod stuff.

So far, I worked with Model View/Edit tools for CS:S, Skyrim and GTA. Honestly, OpenBRF has the most user-friendly and simple UI among all of them.(If they changed their UI recently, just ignore this statement).

I don't know how this code of your works, but you might want to add another listview to the left of model list where we can see all BRF's in the module and access them more quickly. And, sadly, OpenBRF is not working properly in 4K display. I'm not sure but I guess bar/text coordinate sizes are not declared according to DPI but hardcoded. If its something to fix quickly, I would be glad to see it working properly in 4K as well.

I know, there are many people still using OpenBRF. At least in Turkish forum, all modding section using OpenBRF, since there is no alternative, they have no chance to change it anyway.(As far as I know, there is no alternative, right? ) So modding business still continues. As long as modding community exists, OpenBRF will have users. About Bannerlord, I'll dig for this. I'll contact with more than one developer(face to face most probably) in order to understand Bannerlord's inner built-in tools. If there is any tool which modders can use for adding models/materials, I'll let you know. (If you have a critical question which its answer will determine whether you will continue for Bannerlord or not, just PM me that question so I can ask to them)

OpenBRF is essential to Warband/vanilla Mount and Blade modding, to me. Yes, obj models can be opend with a plethora of software(3ds max, Wings, Blender, anything), but you made one hell of a convenient tool for us, I cannot thank you enough.

I see, then, re-implementing the latest (lost) update, and polishing / fixing a few other things while I'm at it.
Primary objective being to unstuck the updates/maintenance.

@[Bloc]: 4K displays? I see, it should be easy to do (but I won't be able to test it here). Thanks for reporting that.

I also I remember the bugs which were reported since last version. (femininizer-setting loading, item number limit...)

If there's any other problems, or long-standing usability issues, with which you had to struggle in your workflow, just point them out (in the [Feature suggestion] or the [Bug report] threads probably).
Maybe it is something easy to fix / add, and it's just me not knowing the issue is there.

New version is here!

ver 0.0.82 -- "revive and polish" release (6 Jun 2016)  [additional notes]
1- fixed many bugs & polished various things & hi-res (2K screen) compatibility
2- option to use auto-computed tangent dirs to preview bumpmap, when they are missing (mimicking what the game does)
3- skeleton re-size tool (also affects hitboxes)
    and
0- re-coded 0.0.81 upgrade anew (source was lost)

Details are found in [this post] of the update log.

(And yes, source files are online.)

Also translation files are updated in the [translation thread], in case anyone wants to update any of them.

Hopefully I didn't mess anything up, but, QT version and many libraries changed (including DLL).
(I made a 32 bit version, as usual. Maybe a 64bit could be useful?)

edit: @[Bloc]: can you check if OpenBRF works fine in your 4K display now?

Sadly, Its not working properly. Here is the screenshot,
Elni8.png
Btw, Windows Defender tried to save my computer because it has unknown publisher. It didnt said anything like that for early releases. So you might want to check that too. (Windows 10 x86)

Back
Top Bottom