Author Topic: Romans... Suck?  (Read 21196 times)

Ambalon

• Marquis
  • Yes, quite.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: Romans... Suck?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
On this note...
Is it just me or are is The Camulodian Empire more like the Roman Republic than the real Rome ?

Absolutely not.
Hm... Strange, I too thought that the camulodian empire had more roman-like troops than rome... :?

Gold is for the mistress
Silver for the maid
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
But iron - cold iron - is master of them all

Dudro

• -Fortis et Fidus
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 08:22:11 PM »
The whole point is that they're modeled after the marian legion of the "old glory days" of Rome.  The pre-Marian republican army of Rome is extremely different.

Maeglin Dubh

• Knight
  • Forum Sith
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 12:16:25 AM »
The OP's problem, from the sound of it, is that he had spear and shields going in against swords and axes, a surefire way to lose in any M&B environment.

Tycho on the Warband Beta Server

Ambalon

• Marquis
  • Yes, quite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 02:20:30 AM »
The way to go is to every spear get 2~3 swords.

Gold is for the mistress
Silver for the maid
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
But iron - cold iron - is master of them all

tigershark

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »
It wasn't just that they were better... it was the sheer manpower rome had, she could afford to loose many minor battles and still wear their opponents to the ground just through sheer attrition... Rome often lost the early battles in a war, or won with heavy causualties, they just made sure to learn from their mistakes and start pushing forward (Germany non-withstanding)

"All i did for wallachia! against thieves, and traitors and infidels, come to this.. me reduced to a blood sucking monster..." - a Slightly butchered qoute from Vlad the impailer in the book "Vlad, the last confessions"

Wu-long

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: Wulong
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 07:20:34 AM »
It wasn't just that they were better... it was the sheer manpower rome had, she could afford to loose many minor battles and still wear their opponents to the ground just through sheer attrition... Rome often lost the early battles in a war, or won with heavy causualties, they just made sure to learn from their mistakes and start pushing forward (Germany non-withstanding)
Yeah Rome just could afford to lose the battles with casualties but after it they keep improving their tactics but near the end they cant and the ranks grew smaller that resulted them to be come less disciplined and loyal to the country Rome its self but more to the riches and leaders.Which can explain why the player would suck with out the commands ^^

Lord Ferdinand

• Sergeant at Arms
  • ME-MMT (google)
    • View Profile
    • Il sito di Paolo Barnard
  • M&BWB
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 09:38:22 PM »
Uhm... I would like to try this mod because I love the age of Roman Empire.
I just hope to find a DECENT Roman Army, I don't want to see them get their asses kicked by few miserable bandits.  :mrgreen:
If I don't mistake, this mod is set in the period when the (united) Roman Empire was already finished but in some pics I seen the classics Pretorians and Legionaries with the "segmented lorica", so I want them strong as they were in history.

ps: I'm italian, I don't speak very well english, I hope it's all clear.  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:45:58 PM by Lord Ferdinand »

Dudro

• -Fortis et Fidus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 04:04:03 AM »
S'fine, no worries.

Lord Drake

• Sergeant at Arms
  • I'm here to deliver some bad luck.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • MP nick: Lord Drake
  • WBNW
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 09:22:02 AM »
The Roman army did not depend on numbers at all. Infact there where manytimes when they where outnumbered.

The reason they where so good at fighting was because they would study their foes, learn how they fought, what weapons and armor did they use, was it better then theirs? (ie, their helmets where greek and the segmentica had roots in some armor worn by celtic nobles)

They would also use very advanced tactics for the time. They would also use artillery. (meaning things like Scorpions) With these they had a clear advantage over their enemies.

As time moved on and their enemies became more advanced the Romans did to, but not as much. They where also far more heavily out numbered with rebellions weakening the empire. In the end the most likely cause of their fall was lousy emperors and the rebellions.
You want realism get your friend or parent to stand over your shoulder and every time you take damage have them whack you over the head.  The pain will be 100% realistic!
yes! and no cheating by calling ambulance! :D
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those that understand Binary, and those that don't."

Murmillo182

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Atticus226
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
Hey, I just wondered why the Western Roman Empire has got Imperial German Bodyguard...
Can someone explain this to me please? :D
I thought the Germans were more like barbarians at this time :?:
School is practise for the future
and practise makes perfect, but nobody´s perfect!
So why practise?

Lord Drake

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • WBNW
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 04:27:05 PM »
Hey, I just wondered why the Western Roman Empire has got Imperial German Bodyguard...
Can someone explain this to me please? :D
I thought the Germans were more like barbarians at this time :?:
Men from the barbarian tribes like the Celts and the Germans would commonly hire out as mercenaries as it would pay better then being a grunt in their own armies while still allowing them the chance to prove their worth.
You want realism get your friend or parent to stand over your shoulder and every time you take damage have them whack you over the head.  The pain will be 100% realistic!

CrusaderRick

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2009, 10:14:49 AM »
This mod is awesome (Ranks as best mod i've played so far.), I'm currently fighting for the Camulodian Empire. Currently i have a Castle and two villages for fiefs (Finally, a king a gives me the damn castle i fought for).

At the start, i fought for the Western Romans, believing they where the only ones with Roman units (Found out later that the Camulodian Empire where Romano-British). I stuck by the Imperial Magistrate guy for roughly 3 weeks, fighting against the Saxons. Every battle we went into, we'd have our asses handed to us, even when we outnumbered the Saxons. After many defeats and blood battles, i jumped ship and joined the Camulodians. Can't say that i regret it, the Western Romans have been beaten out of every castle they owned. Every offensive they launched failed. Several times they tried to retake one of their lost castles, but can never seem to win. Now All they have is Londinium, with some 600 or so troops sitting in the city.

Currently, the Saxons have the largest amount of land, followed by the Pictish Federation. The Camulodian Empire is beating the Camulodian Allies easily, since our Legionnaires that we have are awesome. I currently have 300 troops or so, 200 defending my castle, and another 100 or so following me. Just wish that King Arthur would declare war on the Kingdom of Cornwall. We can beat them, no problem, and with Cornwall's land in our Empire, we'd have control of South West Britain.

Lord Drake

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • WBNW
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »
This mod is awesome (Ranks as best mod i've played so far.), I'm currently fighting for the Camulodian Empire. Currently i have a Castle and two villages for fiefs (Finally, a king a gives me the damn castle i fought for).

At the start, i fought for the Western Romans, believing they where the only ones with Roman units (Found out later that the Camulodian Empire where Romano-British). I stuck by the Imperial Magistrate guy for roughly 3 weeks, fighting against the Saxons. Every battle we went into, we'd have our asses handed to us, even when we outnumbered the Saxons. After many defeats and blood battles, i jumped ship and joined the Camulodians. Can't say that i regret it, the Western Romans have been beaten out of every castle they owned. Every offensive they launched failed. Several times they tried to retake one of their lost castles, but can never seem to win. Now All they have is Londinium, with some 600 or so troops sitting in the city.

Currently, the Saxons have the largest amount of land, followed by the Pictish Federation. The Camulodian Empire is beating the Camulodian Allies easily, since our Legionnaires that we have are awesome. I currently have 300 troops or so, 200 defending my castle, and another 100 or so following me. Just wish that King Arthur would declare war on the Kingdom of Cornwall. We can beat them, no problem, and with Cornwall's land in our Empire, we'd have control of South West Britain.
Then start attacking Cornwall's caravans. They'll declare war on you. :)

Murmillo182

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Atticus226
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2009, 06:29:17 PM »

But only if you got the quest from a camulodian lord to attack two caravans :wink:
School is practise for the future
and practise makes perfect, but nobody´s perfect!
So why practise?

Lord Drake

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • WBNW
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »

But only if you got the quest from a camulodian lord to attack two caravans :wink:
I've found that if you just annoy them enough they attack anyway.