Romans... Suck?

Users who are viewing this thread

martijntjeeh

Sergeant
So I was looking forward to bein a Roman general... so i recruited some romans, 40 to be precise, they looked not to sucky... with shields and spears and i had 10 better troops.. I thought it was a pretty decent army for the beginning... I thought i would be able to get 20 saxons killed... what happens? ALL of my romans get killed/wounded and they kill NONE  of the saxons? What? None? We're talking about the Romans here... They werent stupid pussys, they fought 100000 britons with only 10000 romans and... won? with only 400 killed romans? 70000 killed britons? Well, here A single saxon can beat up like 40000 romans if it goes like this all the time... what is up with the saxons / romans? anyone else having this? Something i'm not understanding? I don't get it... Was fighting the normal saxon raiders that lurk around Londinium by the way.

Edit: It's not the Saxons being to strong, cause my Roman Auxilia got their asses kicked by forest bandits also... even when we romans outnumber them.. (It's not that i dont win the battles, cause i do but its just really annoying to lose all my troops of 3/4 of them all the time.

bjorne. said:
I guess you are the worst general in the history books.

Hmm give me tips then?

What should i do? told them to hold already, didn't work, charge, didn't work, form ranks, didn't work... what else? If your such a good general, you should have got plenty of good tactics for a simle Decurion.

You should let your infantry to form ranks, and then let your archers form a line in front of them. and let them spread out as well. And when the enemy gets close you should let your infantry to break of and when they do that you should command them to spread out while charging. Then charge with your archers. And when everyone is in the big pile of war you should command them to tighten up and stand ground. This I do all the time. At least when I play as the Romans. With their big shield.

And if the enemy expects you to attack. Do like this.

X=Infantry
¤=archers
                    ^                                            ^
                    |                                            |

XXXXXX                        ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤
              XXXXXX
              XXXXXX

By words. Form a big box of infantries. Make sure they all have tower shields. Then. Line up your archers and spread them out abit away from the infantries. And therefor reduce the incoming arrows by half.

Then just keep advancing with the infantry until you are close enough to do the same thing as you did before.
And of cause if you can. You should place your cavalry on the left side of your army and flank the enemy. And charge with them when you made all of your troops on foot to tighten up and stood ground.

... So this should do it. Anything else?

That's because they suck. The numbers you talked about in your first post, what date were they recorded? 

I was with the western romans btw , now i'm with the romano british the comulodians... they don't suck, and the westerns also dont after a while, and thanks for the good tactic, bye.

yeah but i had expect they woud be able to kill saxon raiders... where am I going to train them else? Well now i'm going to play again, because it's really an awesome mod. The best there is right now, actually. :grin:

How do i get them higher btw... if 60 of them can't take 17 saxon raiders without havein 30 killed people? Wtf dude thats screwed...

martijntjeeh said:
yeah but i had expect they woud be able to kill saxon raiders... where am I going to train them else? Well now i'm going to play again, because it's really an awesome mod. The best there is right now, actually. :grin:

How do i get them higher btw... if 60 of them can't take 17 saxon raiders without havein 30 killed people? Wtf dude thats screwed...
spar in training fields?

Ambalon said:
martijntjeeh said:

spar in training fields?

That's so boring :razz: i'm gonna keep fighting with high casualties... :smile:

The purpose is that they sucked at fighting.  The late, barbarianized Roman army didn't even build forts everynight anymore.  They had lost all the discipline that they once had.

The late roman army didn't suck! it might not have been as good as it was when the empire/republic was rich, but they're still nothing to laugh at.

Your probably right, the mod is close to about 450 ad i  thought? So thats almost the ending, so they had to start sucking indeed.

Back
Top Bottom